Author Topic: lignosulfonates: potential sources for vast quatities of mesc. -drone 342  (Read 2588 times)

dormouse

Author    Topic:   lignosulfonates: potential sources for vast quatities of mesc.
drone 342
Member     posted 09-14-98 06:42 PM          
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lignosulfonates are a waste product of the paper industry that look to be incredibly useful for the production of syringaldehyde and therefore mescaline. A thorough refluxing with 25% NaOH appears to be all that's necessary for its conversion into vanillin and syringealdehyde.

JACS (1936) 347
JACS (1937) 2447-2448
JACS (1938) 567

-drone #342

beagle boy
unregistered     posted 09-14-98 08:59 PM           
I guess that its prob. obvious, but if you had syringaldehyde you would prob. prefer to make escaline out of it.

drone 342
Member     posted 09-17-98 08:54 PM          
Mescaline, escaline; both are equally possible. I agree, escaline sounds intrigueing.

So what do people think of this method?

-drone #342

beagle boy
unregistered     posted 09-17-98 09:48 PM           
I am interested from an academic standpoint (but then again, this is all academic isn't it). Looks like it might be good for those 100 lb batches. I haven't checked out those ref's, but are both syringaldehyde and vanillin produced in equal amt? What kind of yields? Know some people in wood product industry, I'll have to ask them about ligno. If both aldehydes are produced, looks like you'll need a real good vac. to separate.

drone 342
Member     posted 09-18-98 11:15 AM          
If you're using lignosulfonates from softwood trees, you'll get nothing but vanillin. If you use lignosulfonates from hardwoods, you get a 50/50 mix of syringaldehyde and vanillin.

-drone #342