Author Topic: LSA from sunflower seeds?  (Read 3796 times)

chilly_willy

LSA from sunflower seeds?
« on: January 19, 2003, 07:07:00 PM »
I met a proclaimed o-head in a bar last night who swore up and down that back in the day they used to grind up shitloads of sunflowder seeds...extract the vitals with anhy. ethanol..evap..and end up with lysergic acid.  Then he got even more detailed by saying they used to get (a special) type of kodak film.... (w/o) silver...cut it into 1/16 inch squares and bond it instantly with diethylamine.  I did not believe him....but he had majors in chemistry, physics, and various outher useful skills that made me take him seriously.  Is he right...or were we both just drunk off our asses?

Rhodium

40% NaOH = lye ... 40% EtOH => lie
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 09:00:00 PM »
Ethanol is a solvent very prone to dissolve the fine line between fact and fiction.

Daphuk_up

Um...
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 11:10:00 PM »

Well, undoubtably whatever that guys actual skills, I would guess that would be bullshit.

However, Rhodium, I would appreciate if you could enlighten me a bit further behind your reasoning in discrediting that individual.  What does 40% have to do with anything?  Note I have read briefly upon but do not intend to attempt the LSD synth for a very long time.  Way too much of a noob just yet. :)

Oh, is it that LAA is insoluble in ethanol?  Bah, please help me to understand.

Rhodium

I have seen sunflower *blotter*, but...
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 11:27:00 PM »
40% EtOH is vodka. The subject line was just a boring joke.  ::)

I discredit your friend simply because sunflower seeds do not contain any ergot alkaloids...

Daphuk_up

Daphuk_up is Dadumb_ass
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2003, 05:44:00 AM »
Duh, ok, I get it now.  ::)

Not my friend, and definetly full of it.  Would have been nice though; "If it looks to good to be true...".

amalgum

shit
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 10:07:00 AM »
That must of took a lot of ethanol and shit.  Cause those seeds contain very little LSA.  It's probably even more of a joke to start from those seeds than it would be to start from a seed with no LSA at all.  Of course he was yanking your chain.  And if he really did do that, then god knows what he was taking and probably selling.

Psi_Locybe

Mmm... smells like bovine...
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 03:48:00 AM »
...swore up and down that back in the day they used to grind up shitloads of sunflowder seeds...extract the vitals with anhy. ethanol..evap..and end up with...

...a charming yellowish oil which is rather sticky, but can make an excellent hand-soap when basified.

They did not, however, take the sole psychoactive in Helianthus spp., which is tryptophan (and rather lovely, at that... good antidepressant, potential trip).

...theoretically, if they up-and-decarboxylated the tryptophan (which they left behind), n,n-dimethylated it, substituted at the 4-position with 2,4-buteneoic acid, and cyclatized the damned thing...

...THEN they MIGHT have gone through WAY too much work to get lysergic acid... if I remember the damned structure correctly... (::shrug::  YOU look it up at 'wid!)

...but...

...umm...

...at best, the dude's packin' soap.