Author Topic: harmaline  (Read 5607 times)

norepinepherine

harmaline
« on: May 23, 2000, 02:27:00 AM »
Would anyone happen to know the Ksp (solubility product) of harmaline hcl?  I was just daydreaming about the further purification of a bit of syrian rue extract.  I am also curious about the Ksp's of both DMT and DMT hcl.  I would appreciate it greatly if someone could help me make this dream a lucid one!

apis

Re: harmaline
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2000, 07:12:00 PM »
I don't actually know what a Ksp is but I have had some success extracting rue.  The method I have settled on is this:  grind up enough seed to pack the basket of a stovetop espresso maker fill the bottom with H2O and 1/4 vinegar screw the top down over a piece of fliter paper, run the vinegar/H2O through and repeat 2 more times with new H2O/vinegar leaving the ground seeds in the basket. Combine the three extractions in a tallish jar and basify with a saturated lye solution, allow the precipitate to settle overnight and decant, wash the precipitate with more H2O (fill the jar) allow to settle and decant again. I  then disolve precipitate in vinegar/H2O re-filter re-basify re-decant and dry. If you wanted to  seperate the harmaline from the harmine you can do thisby basifying slowly with aqu. ammonia
and checking the precipitates with a microscope, the two alkaloids come out of solution at different rates first one as needles then the other as plates or versa vica (I can't remember which was which but I  can look this up if you'd really like to know.)

doobee

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2000, 10:13:00 PM »
Is syrian rue legal?
Where can it be obtained?
Are there any other good sources of MAOIs?

psyloxy

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2000, 05:17:00 AM »
P.Harmala is legal in 98% of the world. I think it is still used as dye.
There was a state in the USA where it is forbidden to import the seeds because it is seen as a noxious weed or something like that. Extracting harmines from P.H. is another story. I think it is illegal in some states.

--psyloxy--

apis

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2000, 11:08:00 AM »
Syrian Rue is available from middle eastern grocery stores as "esphand" or "esfand" it is used traditionally as an incense to ward off dark spirits or the "evil eye"--This makes sense to me as breathing low levels of a MAOi would probable help keep you in "good spirits". It is also the source of the traditional persian red carpet dye, which I have heard was obtained by leaving the seeds in wine for a year (I suspect that the wine would become vinegar and the vinegar does something to the alkaloids (?); when I was trying out various methods of extraction I tried boiling large volumes down before purifying and managed to obtain a lovely cherry red solution :))
    Esphand:  was formerly known as 'hoama" which has the same root as the word soma;  has  associations  with ancient middle eastern sorcery;  was consumed by Mohamed on the recomendation of Allah.   And of course, when combined with tryptamines can take you on a "carpet ride" where you might just encounter (especially in total darkness) exquisitly alive patterns sometimes of a very "persian" nature.

psyloxy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2000, 02:43:00 PM »
>was consumed by Mohamed on the recomendation of Allah

Where does this information come from ? I'm putting together a list of all important people who have used drugs...

Thanks!
--psyloxy--

apis

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2000, 06:09:00 PM »
I think I gathered that one from "The Ibogaine Story" but I can't check because my hard copy is in general circulation with my friends and the online version seems to be missing the miscellanious tidbits it lifted from other sources.  If I remember correctly it referred to both Mohammed and his daughter being instructed to consume harmel but it may have been refered to by a number of synonyms.  While I was looking around I found this which might an interesting lead:

http://www.csp.org/chrestomathy/haoma_and.html

good luck with your list!

Maighstir

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2000, 03:31:00 AM »
I did the HCl extraction from P. harmala and used the simple method of salting the alkaloids out with lots of NaCl. The dried product still contained a lot of NaCl (accumulated at the edges on my filterpaper). I recrystallised the alkaloids from methanol. The product was pretty pure (HPLC anal.).

Maighstir.

Vae victis meretrix est et mors venit.

Unobtainium

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2000, 03:37:00 AM »
Try the Koran maybe? Lots of stuff about Muhammad and Allah in there.

~~Atomic Pickle.

apis

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2000, 12:40:00 PM »
If you freebase it you can wash out the salt.