Author Topic: Zinc residues from tryptophan de-COO via zinc acet  (Read 9944 times)

microfile

Zinc residues from tryptophan de-COO via zinc acet
« on: October 23, 2003, 04:20:00 AM »
Hi there; this is my first post here ;)

I tried looking this up, but nothing really came up.

I want to synthesize tryptamine from L-tryptophan using a zinc acetate catalyst.  My problem is that I need to minimize the amount of zinc that will be in the tryptamine.  The protocol calls for a chloroform extraction of the tryptamine formed afterwards, and I assume there shouldn't be a lot of zinc residues that will extract into the CHCl3 layer, but I need the amount of zinc to be less than 10^(-6)M, preferably.  This is because an amount higher than this might interfere with the experiment.  Is there a possibility that that much zinc might be extracted, if it's a good extraction?  If so, might it be possible (given the freebase extraction) that EDTA could be added to chelate the zinc and reduce the amount of zinc extracted?  EDTA is usually soluble in basic solutions, so is there a possibility of adding EDTA to chelate the zinc and then basifying and extracting the tryptamine?  I would like to stay away from distillation if I can (I will if I have to, but I really, really, really would like it if I didn't.)

Also, in the protocol it says to basify and do a non-polar extraction....  I'm assuming I should pH to 8, or does it not matter????

Eidt:  I just realized with the molarity of zinc you need the concentration of tryptamine.  It'll be added about 1.6g/45mL = .18 M solution of tryptamine.  In this solution, zinc should be < 10^(-6)M, if possible.  Just to give a reference point.  The reaction was at a 40% yeild in the paper, so we'll say 35%????
Thanks in advance,

--
Micro

Rhodium

EDTA Wash
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 10:42:00 AM »
Washing a solution of tryptamine freebase in ethyl acetate (or other np solvent) with aqueous Na2EDTA should chelate any zinc still bound to the tryptamine.

Also, in the protocol it says to basify and do a non-polar extraction....  I'm assuming I should pH to 8, or does it not matter?

A solution with pH 8 isn't really basic - aim for 11 or so. As long as distinctly basic, the exact pH isn't critical.

Also make a habit out of linking to the procedures/protocols you are referring to, as we aren't mind-readers.

Lilienthal

The best way of purification would be ...
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 11:16:00 AM »
The best way of purification would be distillation in a microdistillation bridge under oilpump-vacuum. The second best choice would be repeated extraction with dichloromethane or chloroform (which have a pretty low capacity for dissolving tryptamine) and subsequent multiple crystallizations. You don't want to chelate the zinc because it would make it more soluble in organic solvents. But with extractions you don't have any guaranty for such a low Zn2+ concentration.

hypo

ref?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 11:54:00 AM »
excuse my ignorance,
is there a reference for this Zn(OAc)2 decarboxylation?
is it similar to the Cu chelate method?
(which produces lots of ugly shit)

microfile

Zinc residues from tryptophan de-COO via zinc acet
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 03:30:00 PM »
Hey -- thanks a lot, people; I really appreciate it.  Sorry for not posting the ref; I was pretty drunk last night.  Yeah, the zinc acetate is being used in place of the copper acetate; the synth says it's ok:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/tryptophan.html

Thanks again,

--
Micro

Rhodium

EDTA chelates hydrophobic?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 05:43:00 PM »
You don't want to chelate the zinc because it would make it more soluble in organic solvents.

Lilienthal: Huh? Are you saying that EDTA chelates prefer organic solvents over water?

Lilienthal

No, I just suggested that the complex could be
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 06:53:00 PM »
No, I just suggested that the complex could be more lipophilic than free Zn2+ ions  :)  I still think it is  :)

microfile

interesting
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 07:01:00 PM »
Interesting....  If they do might it be possible to dilute acetic acid extract the freebase and add concentrated acid to precipitate out the EDTA?

I really appreciate the help -- I'll ask a metallurgist I know tonight about the sol. of zinc chelates and I'll see what she says, if she knows.  Oh, well, I'll be back....

--
Micro

microfile

lipophilic?
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 07:05:00 PM »
You mean because of the organic chain on the EDTA?  Would the zinc chelate be soluble in np solvents?  I will be doing an acid/base extraction, but the wash was to further purify it afterward.

--
Micro

hypo

thread of interest?
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 07:40:00 PM »
maybe you find something of interest in this thread:
(inbetween lots of ramblings by myself (how embarassing!))

Post 401891

(hypo: "trp decarboxylation with HCl/benzene?", Tryptamine Chemistry)

short version: EtOAc disolves it all, but on evaporation
the yellow sticky precipitate is turned into disgusting tar.
DCM disolves only very little. maybe try removing the
DMSO under vacuum and do a continuous extraction with DCM?

microfile

thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 07:58:00 PM »
Thanks, hypo -- a lot of good info.  I think I'm going to centrifuge it and pipette off just the organic layer and .2-micron filter if I have to....

It still leaves the question about ionic zinc, though.  I might just have to test it with a spectrophotometer for the zinc to see if I can get it to chelate.  I don't know how I'd do this to test for leftover zinc intermediates, though.

--
Micro

Rhodium

vacuum sublimation
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 10:38:00 PM »
If you just need a small analytically pure sample to test, you can try vacuum sublimation in a test tube - But maybe you wanted to analyse the crude product to get an impurity profile?

What kind of analysis is that sensitive against zinc?

microfile

spectrophotometry
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2003, 02:56:00 AM »
I was thinking just look up the peaks for Zn2+ and compare before and after the wash....  would this not work?  The spectrophotemeter is really sensitive (used to calculate pmol concentrations of DNA, even though I realize DNA is a lot bigger....)

BTW -- the metallurgist I know said she thought the chelates should still carry a charge and should prefer the aq. solution.

Thanks,

--
Micro

hypo

[OT] my theory
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2003, 09:19:00 AM »
facts:
*) CO2 evolves during this reaction
*) Cu precipitates

if we only look at electrons, not configuration:
we start with:
R-COO-Cu-COO-R (I)
minus CO2:
R-Cu-R (II)
now if metallic copper precipitates we end up with
R-R (III) (=dimeric, disgusting crap)

i'm pretty sure that precipitated copper means ugly side product,
what we really want is (II), which when hydrolised with H2O gives:
2R-H + Cu(OH)2

i have no idea what (II) looks like. i can imagine the beginning of
the reaction, which i think looks like this:

this would make sense, considering that all Ns and Os interact with
the empty d-orbitals of the Cu.

but what is the end product?
surely not this:

(yes i know, you can't write structures like this)

if nobody disagrees, i'll just continue believing that
the world is flat...  :P

microfile

Interesting
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2003, 03:19:00 PM »
Hmmm....  interesting, hypo.  You have a great mind, but the handwriting of a 2nd grader -- almost worse than me (but not quite.)

I don't know -- from what I see, in the beginning you lose a proton, and the electrons, I would guess, would go to the double bond in the carboxyl formed?  I'm guessing the proton goes to the catalyst because it's used again in the end....  In the end, the CO2 simply breaks off with the catalyst, and the proton is reclaimed.  Since it's a catalyst, though, I would think you should end up with zinc acetate, but the tryptamine should precipitate.

Tell me if I'm close at all....

Of course, this doesn't mean other crap doesn't form -- it probably does....  2 washes with disodium EDTA should help.

--
Micro

microfile

I don't think zinc works
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
I didn't get a precipitate (with a saturated Zn(OAc)2 solution) -- even tried heating up the reaction.  I don't think there was anything I could have been missing....

Back to the drawing board I guess....

--
Micro

hypo

tell more...
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »
hi, micro

could you please elaborate on what you did? with amounts, colors etc.
tryptophan needs lots of water to dissolve, so i don't understand
what you mean with a "saturated Zn(OAc)2 solution".

with Cu(OAc)2, you need less than a half of Cu(OAc)2 by weight.
color change is immediate (from yellow to blue), the precipitate
with copper is bright blue. but with zinc it will probably not be
blue  ;)

microfile

details
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2003, 06:47:00 PM »
Thanks, hypo.  I didn't measure anything, just dissolved as much zinc acetate as would dissolve until there was a bit that wouldn't dissolve, at all, and I added this to a solution af L-tryptophan (all ACS reagent grade chemicals.)  I didn't measure the solution of tryptophan, but it had a decent amount in it, however below the saturation level.  When I added the sat. zinc acetate to the tryptophan solution nothing happened; it just dissolved.  I got pissed.  I couldn't think of why it didn't work, but I tried heating the reaction, and still nothing.

Anything else it could be (besides the zinc not working?)

Thanks.

--
Micro

Lilienthal

Who said that the complex precipitates?
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2003, 10:01:00 PM »
Who said that the complex precipitates? Maybe you have to evaporate the water (and to use exactly calculated and measured amounts) to get a solid complex. Otherwise you might be able to precipitate the complex, e.g. with ethanol.

microfile

precipitation of the chelates
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2003, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks, L -- I was under the impression that because of the position of the carboxyl group and the position of the metal catalyst the zinc chelate complex should become completely insoluble in water.  In the paper (referenced above) it says that a precipitate forms.  Are you saying that the zinc itself might make enough of a charge to not precipitate?  How would I be able to tell, by evaporating, if the chelation even ever took place?  Thanks,

--
Micro

Lilienthal

Could you give the Zn-procedure from that...
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2003, 11:37:00 PM »
Could you give the Zn-procedure from that paper? Or is online somewhere or has been posted before?

microfile

sure....
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2003, 12:52:00 AM »
Sorry -- the ref for the reaction is at:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/tryptophan.html

It seems, from the r(x) scheme, like Cu and Zn should be interchangable....  look at the picture w/t/ r(x) scheme.

--
Micro

Rhodium

Synthesis 171 (1974)
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2003, 01:36:00 AM »
The full reference - Synthesis 171 (1974) - can be retrieved for free, see

Post 363228

(Rhodium: "Free Online Chemistry & Medicinal Journals", Novel Discourse)

microfile

refs
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2003, 01:52:00 AM »

microfile

not there
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2003, 03:16:00 AM »
Sorry, damn Steel Reserves.  I switched to Corona tonight.

I signed up for that 30-day thingy, but Synthesis 1971 vol 3 goes up to 153 and vol 4 starts at 175....

Honestly, I think I need a new approach.  I think I can get cyclohexene; I need cyclohexanol and a ketone.  Does this sound right (sorry, been a while:)

Cyclohexene + HCl / H2O -> cyclohexanol

Cyclohexanol + paracetic acid -> hexanone

Thanks,

--
Micro

Lilienthal

Wasn't it cyclohexenone?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2003, 10:57:00 AM »
Wasn't it cyclohexenone?

hypo

yep,
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2003, 11:39:00 AM »
conclusion in older threads was that only cyclohexenone works.

imho the most appealing route seems to be ketone in tetraline.
tetraline is ass-cheap (if you can get it).