Author Topic: Psilocybine crystallization for beginners  (Read 14821 times)

Yachaj

Lilienthal wrote: "My point is: your...
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2003, 02:06:00 PM »
Lilienthal wrote: "My point is: your product is a mixture of everything soluble in aqueeous MeOH / EtOH and unsoluble in ethanol. That simply means: Polar compounds, e.g. amino acids, peptides, sugars, nucleotides, or urea, just to name a few."

I have just tried to get a precipitate from glucose and of tryptophan in a similar way (shake with 140 proof ethanol, filter off the solids and mix the liquid with 10 times as much 190+ proof ethanol) but didn't get any precipitate.

So Lilienthal is right in general terms. But specifically with cubensis extraction I still think that the white stuff which drops out of the filtered 140 proof ethanol extract at the moment that 190+ proof is added is fairly pure PSOP.

urushibara

psilocybin precipitate *would* be quite pure imo
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2003, 11:56:00 AM »
I'm inclined to agree yachaj - sure, in the sum total of the contents of the solvent before precipitating it there is oodles of junk, there's all sorts of junk (the major crap in there is urea, you can smell it when it's evaporated down), but the use of ethanol is selective for precipitating the psilocybin. most everything that was named is much more soluble in ethanol than psilocybin.

on another note, rhodium just posted on another thread about a method of doing an acid/base extraction on psilocybin that dephosphorylates the psilocybin into psilocin using acetic acid and a little heat.

Post 449383

(Rhodium: "Mushroom Aqueous-Organic Psilocin Extraction", Tryptamine Chemistry)
it's an acid/base, and the article quoted claims that it is pure enough to fully characterise with it's IR spectra etc.

I put an idea forward in a response there too - would making the psilocin into the ascorbate salt help allieviate stability problems?