Author Topic: DPT Rhodium? :)  (Read 4652 times)

foxy2

DPT Rhodium? :)
« on: July 17, 2000, 11:10:00 AM »
Would the steric hinderance be large enough to prevent the quanternary salt from forming when reacting tryptamine with n-Propyl Bromide??
Shulgin produced it this way, so i assume so.
His reaction was done in IPA with diisopropylethyl amine added also.  What is the function of the diisopropylethyl amine?  Is it a base catalyzed rxn?  Could diethanol amine work in this capacity?

Sorry for so many questions

One more, when vacuum distilling my product it has to be the freebase right?  Stupid question just want to be sure though.

"trip not equal to tryptamine, tryptamine equals trip"

Lilienthal

Re: DPT
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2000, 12:28:00 PM »
1.: Not totally, but largely prevention of quats.

2.: Diisopropylethyl amine will scavenge the HBr, which otherwise would consume one equivalent of the tryptamine. Because of strong steric hindrance diisopropylethyl amine will not be alkylated.

3.: No, diethanolamine will not work.

4.: Yes! Base! Please!

" :)  not equal to tryptamine, tryptamine equals  :) "

foxy2

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2000, 01:25:00 PM »
Well does anyone have ideas of other good organic bases that i could use?????
I don't like the 10% yeilds shulgin got with bicarbonate.

I may just make some methylamine and react it with IPBr and distill of the Diisopropylmethyl amine, lots a work but it will be fun.  Hopefully Mr Steric Hinderance will work to my advantage here.

Are the huge excesses of reagents Shulgin uses necessary??  He must have an almost ten fold molar excess!!!
"A solution of 1.6 g tryptamine base in 10 mL isopropanol was treated with 5.1 g propyl iodide and 5.2 g diisopropylethyl amine"

KrZ

Post deleted by KrZ
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2000, 01:55:00 PM »

foxy2

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2000, 01:58:00 PM »
Could you post some links to these methods.  I would like to avoid the sodium borohydride unless you have a simple synthesis of it, i don't think buying that is advisable.

Lilienthal

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2000, 04:53:00 AM »
> I don't like the 10% yeilds shulgin got with bicarbonate.

I think he got poor yields because he used an alcohol as solvent which became deprotonated and as a strong nucleophile reacted with the alkylhalogenide instead of the weak nucleophile tryptamine. Rhod?

>   I may just make some methylamine and react it with IPBr and distill of the Diisopropylmethyl amine, lots a work but it will be fun. Hopefully Mr Steric Hinderance will work to my advantage here.

Hope you will get a reaction at all...  ::)

foxy2

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2000, 08:48:00 AM »
Hmm
I wasn't jokeing, maybe exagerating what id be willing to do but it should possibly work, maybe

foxy2

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2000, 12:31:00 PM »
Lil
Ya don't think Methylamine will react with IprBr?
Im sure i will never get around to trying but it should work.

"The best place for a pig is in the fryin pan"