Author Topic: Photo essay: 3-acetyl indole -> beta-keto-DMT  (Read 3693 times)

DeeMT

Photo essay: 3-acetyl indole -> beta-keto-DMT
« on: March 09, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/clandestine/dmt/index.html

Here you will find a semi large scale photo essay from 3-acetylindole to beta-keto-DMT. The yields didn't turn out as good as the litterature in which they were followed. This could have been to lab technique, which is highly doubtable, but not impossible, or an error on the authors part. I bet its something I did wrong, but I did try each step numerous times and found little imporovement.

All in all, about 1,500USD was spent in chemicals and the end reasult from 1KG of 3-acetylindole was approximately 200g of beta-keto-dmt. According to the texts in which the synth was carried out yields should have at least doubled if not more.

This route has possibilities unfotunatly I am done fuckin with dimethylamine and the fuckin fish stink associated with it's use. Dimethylamine and it's siblings have the potential to break up families, and have caused fights in many clandestine households across the world.. accorinding to the polls.

You can easily go to DET with a few alterations. See the thread

Post 451451

(GC_MS: "Reduction of indolyl-3-aminomethylketones", Tryptamine Chemistry)
and be sure to read all the reference links provided throughout.

Hope some more people look into this as it is pretty non sketch.. for now.

DeeMT

Suggestion's, comments, ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 05:43:00 AM »
I would love to conclude the photo essay with more details on the NaBH4 reduction of the beta-keto-dmt, but a break was needed, and of course 10 other projects started at once..

My problem is the solubility of both reagents (keto-DMT and NaBH4) in the reactions solvent, n-propyl alcohol.

I am told, we can not interchange this solvent as it would reduce the DMT to the alcohol.

1g of beta-keto-dmt added to 257ml of n-propyl alcohol.   

Now if we are to dissolve NaBH4 (double the weight of beta-keto-dmt is needed) in the same solvent, we will find ourselves using 250-300ml of solvent to disolve 2g of NaBH4.

At this point we are using about 500ml of solvent to return an expected 49% yield of .49g of DMT.

So while doing a 45g reduction of 2,5-dimethoxy-beta-nitrostyrene to 1-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitroethane, using NaBH4, I ask myself.. why can't one carry out this process with the beta-keto-DMT the same way??

The NaBH4 isn't even close to being fully disolved in the ethyl acetate, and the 2,5 DMNS is added as is.. recrystalized needles, directly to the NaBH4 suspension.

Is it possible the reduction of beta-keto-dmt can be carried out in a suspension similiar to that described when making (2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitroethane?

Say you had 15g of the beta to work with, and you wanted to reduce it all at once. Given the info above, how would you go about it? 

Is it necessary for a large amount of solvent to be present for this specific reduction to work??

Any suggestions, comments or ideas would be very welcome.

homeslice

I dont know anything about the chemistry of...
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 08:18:00 AM »
I dont know anything about the chemistry of tryptamines or specifically dmt but i was reading your photo essay yesterday and its pretty interesting. Down to earth and nice colorful photos. Usually when i bring up a synth i just skim through it but you make it simple and easy to understand. Very good writeup. A little more OTC and id look more into it heh. Plus i dont really know much about how to change atmospheres? I think i said that right. Somethin about argon? i dunno

I dont know shit about dmt but im willin to learn a little...
How watched is this bromine and 3-acetyl indole?

This should be your signature: Too much DMT can really put you in your place!! And that place I do love = P

Ya know i spotted your photoessay yesterday and loved it but didnt post about it. Definately shoulda as should other bees who enjoyed the rarity of the pictures to go along with the dreams. The least it would do is show the bees, that take the time to put together these photoessays, that their work is appreciated and the most it could do is encourage other bees to do the same. Just my 2 cents.
I love pictures especially when its something complex like this that ive never seen anything like.

Nicodem

A great write up! Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »
A great write up! Thanks.

I am told, we can not interchange this solvent as it would reduce the DMT to the alcohol.

I would surely not give up on other solvents like that. If it has to bee something similar to n-propanol the next obvious choice would be monomethyl- or monoethyl-glycol (antifreeze).

Is it possible the reduction of beta-keto-dmt can be carried out in a suspension similiar to that described when making (2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-2-nitroethane?

There is no special reason to not try your reaction (in n-PrOH) in suspension since DMT does not react further. The only problem with suspensions is that they require much longer reaction times and intensive mixing (the solids must not aggregate or they will never react).

DeeMT

A picture can be worth 1000 words..
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »
Homeslice, thank you for your kind words.  :)  I put forth the effort, for others put forth the effort in helping me in my efforts. It's almost effortless, as it makes me happy to do so.  ;)  As far as a need for an inert atmosphere, if you acquire 3-acetylindole, you don't need one. Argon or nitrogen is used soley to keep out moisture during the acylation of indole to 3-acetyl indole. 3-acetylindole is not watched and easily imported or purchased locally (with 50% markup).

Nicodem, good points! Im thinking a 2L rbf containing 30g finely powdered NaBH4 in 1L of n-Propanol with serious stirring. Heat this to just about a reflux, and begin adding 15g of beta-keto-dmt in .25g portions. Then allowing the mix to reflux for 48 hrs.

Maybe thats not enough solvent.. I guess sometimes you just gotta say fuckit and try.  :)

yinga

Awesome
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 03:25:00 AM »
This is great man.  Thank you for the excursion, and thanks for all the effort you've contributed to this community!