Author Topic: Hypocrisy in Oz  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Myke

• Larvae
Hypocrisy in Oz
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:35:30 PM »
Yeah, I live in Australia.

Heard on the radio that some actual doctor is suggesting to the government that a war on drugs is unwinnable and that instead of busting kids for a couple of ecstasy tablets, he has a method of testing their stuff to make sure that's actually MDMA inside. I think they've mentioned that he has tests for few other drugs as well as dangerous impurities and whatnot. Of course, he suggests that the government should front up the cash for the testing stations at raves, stadiums, concerts etc. and he'll give them his invention for free.

Needless to say, the radio station interviewed few other health professionals, politicians, cops and they all screamed foul. We can't condone use of drugs and all that other high-horse crap they usually do.

Strangely enough (or not), none of them mentioned that there are few "injecting rooms" already in this country since about 10 years ago. Heroin users are welcome to use the room to inject themselves and they are provided with free sterile needles and free health care in case they overdose.

Diabetes patients have to pay for their own needles. Go figure.

Offline Impossible

• Founding Wasp
Re: Hypocrisy in Oz
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:59:01 PM »
EZ test kits are available from Australian based companies. While I definitely fall in line with the "it's my choice what I put inside my body" philosophy, I'd feel like a hypocrite if I then started calling for gov't subsidization of my chosen  pasttime

Offline Zippy

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:47:30 AM »
Yes all drugs are bad mmmkay.  Unless they come from a Pharmaceutical company and you get it by prescription like Xanax or Oxy.  The you are fine.  Or alcohol.  And Tobacco.  Because those are fine too.  Unless you are driving or get lung cancer.   Then not so much.  Or maybe weed is ok, cuz it's medicine.  To treat your back pain or anxiety or whatever.

Offline brobro

• Larvae
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:12:06 AM »
where's the hypocrisy in this?

The politicians are simpl saying what they've always said. If you thhink they're doing much more than 'pissing in the pockets' of their constituents, you're dreaming! :o

Diabetes patients have to pay for their own needles. Go figure.

??? Sure they can get 'free needles' ... it's not like they're banned from using the NEP (Needle Exchange Program) sevices like an good injecting drug user can

As for the 'injecting rooms' ... I don't understand why you mention them it! AFAIK there's only the one in kings Cross in Sydney

Offline eesakiwi

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
EZ test kits are available from Australian based companies. While I definitely fall in line with the "it's my choice what I put inside my body" philosophy, I'd feel like a hypocrite if I then started calling for gov't subsidization of my chosen  pasttime

That's the point though, it is a "it's my choice what I put inside my body" situation, even though its illegal.
But you should know what's going into your body first...

If a bunch of new 'bad' pills come out onto the market, there should be a way of finding out exactly what's in them other than testing on humans.

A&E would want to know what's going down at a public event, they don't want to kill anyone because they didn't know what the person took.

Pill testing is not illegal, giving something to someone and them dieing probably is, but only if you knew what's in it.

Pill testing is never going to cost someone their life, taking random unknown  drugs has cost people their life before.
So we know pill testing will save lives.
 Anyone who does not agree knows what the end result of their actions will be. Deaths.

Offline taz007

• Pupae
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 08:52:25 AM »
decriminalization has been in the works for some time, thats why if you get busted with under a certain amount you go to "drug Diversion" and don't have to stand in front of a judge.
They are doing that because they know they cant win, but they haven't yet worked out the laws regarding acceptable decriminalization (different to legalization)