Author Topic: PLEASE BE CAREFUL  (Read 21996 times)

Offline spice

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • Investigate it
Re: PLEASE BE CAREFUL
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 12:58:27 AM »
sorry its just slang

'sick with it'-  To be really really obsessed

but yeah I hear you, there have been times when I have walked in your shoes, my four years in college are utterly useless
for employment but I have some awesome memories
Real bees just hear the buzzing and it doesn´t ever stop. Ever.

Offline Tsathoggua

• Spaz Tech
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 01:30:50 AM »
Never got to go to college. Well not counting being forced onto shitty 'access to employment' courses to retain what income Tsath' does have A few hundred a month.

All that shitty course did was setout computers and have some old miserable cow to harangue and abuse people.
Bitch in question picked on who she saw as weakest. This being one particular young girl, quiet type, seemed quite sweet, kind, good natured, kept herself to herself
and in all the time Tsath' was there he never once saw her make trouble for anyone. But she was relentlessly picked on and humiliated.

So toady and his then partner in crime, so to speak, we got this girl some payback. Was picking up lunch in a  chinese market, and found they sold durian fruit. Lets just say that its reputation as a delicacy is erroneous in the extreme, but its reputation for packing one TERRIBLE stench, now THAT, is totally accurate. Books might say it rtastes like sweet flavored custard. Bollocks does it. It tastes (yes, he tried a bite, and nearly threw up, couldn't swallow the stuff, fuck no!) like alkyl selenides and tellurides smell. Or like a mixture of ammmonium sulfide, arsine and burning phosphorus (white). Kinda rotting metallic garlic mixed with leeks that have gone off and gone moldy and semi-liquified, with heavy overtones of raw sewage on a burning hot day.

So, we tossed it up in the buildings airvents and in the classroom bin. Then waited.

The building was evacuated, whilst they searched high and low for a gas leak. Building didn't even have a gas supply but still. The entire high-rise building cleared out, and we got everyone the day off :D

And as for sick with it...you bet. Been that since he was born. At least, from the moment he taught himself to read, he couldn't get enough of chem, bio, botany and mycology texts. When he can obtain some kind of NMDA antagonist and thus get his wetware booted up properly, he never LEAVES the lab. Literally. Well, to eat,drink, smoke and shit but thats about it. The only exception is when his opioid regime in combination with the adrenergic blockers and chlormethiazole knocks him out. He's just convinced, grudgingly, his GP to increase the latter from BD to TDS, which seems to be having more success in controlling his seizures.

Hehe he knows what you mean though. Just recently come to the end of a 3 day and night stretch in the lab without rest.  Was about ready to drop when he got out of there though. And hungry as hell, at least until the fruits of his labors kicked in.
Nomen mihi Legio est, quia multi sumus

I'm hyperbolic, hypergolic, viral, chiral. So motherfucking twisted my laevo is on the right side.

Offline Hanswurst

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 04:44:59 AM »
I decided that I can't let it happen when I noticed that my beautiful unversitary studies where leading nowhere jobwise. Many years, so much work and money have to yield a foundation for an acceptable bourgeois existence and for that the memories are allowed to be a little less nice. So I reluctantly switched into something that will offer the possibilty to start a decent job.
Just couldn't watch myself "wasting" college time in terms of final productivity.

But it's hard to finish and still years to go. Hard if your heart beats for things people despise because they know nothing about it. I'd much rather not work, different from e.g. my parents who claim that everyone needs work to "structure" the day and life. Bullshit, I call upon that. That's solely because them working has rendered them not able and not having to find out what they'd really like to do in their time on this planet.

Well, I think I'm already incapable of living a normal life, working normal hours in a normal, boring job. It would drive me nuts. I tried and it drove me nuts.

btw I use to work close to naked in the lab. However I am not the kind of person to spill much or anything. Except for the little chloroacetone distillation failure volcano staining the ceiling and corroding everything, I have not even burnt any holes anywhere, besides of some boxer shorts having mysterious holes. Probably acid drops.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:12:20 PM by Hanswurst »

Offline Tsathoggua

• Spaz Tech
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 05:42:40 AM »
Try iodine for burning holes in clothing. Got a shirt now retired for a labcoat, thats covered in huge iodine burns in odd and unlikely places. Once it bonds with organic fabrics you won't EVER get it out again.

Getting crippled blows. Bursitis, knees fucked as well.

Chloroacetone volcano...now that brings back some tear-spattered memories alright. Been there done that. Thankfully not naked.  Not as bad as a white phosphorus distillation going tits up though. And a plume of vaporized acrolein creeping its way towards the trenches...shit...never again. Never fucking well again. That was awful. Or coming within a gnats dick width of being doused in a mixture of chromyl chloride and oleum. That one really made Tsath' jump. And lucky it did or he'd be keeping his ankles in a bottle. Damn distillation vessel had the bottom drop out, sending the mixture of fuming sulfuric, chromyl chloride and chromic acid/dichromate/salt everywhere. He slept in a gas mask for several days because of that fuckup.
Nomen mihi Legio est, quia multi sumus

I'm hyperbolic, hypergolic, viral, chiral. So motherfucking twisted my laevo is on the right side.

Offline Hanswurst

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »
Yeah I had a nice Anschütz-Thiele fraction cutter for vacuum, you might know that device, it enables you to exchange the receiver flask without disrupting the vacuum. I broke the two I had, a fucking pity because I usually seldom break glass.
But I had to learn the hard way that it bears severe risks. I missed out on checking if the valves of the fraction cutter were open. But it was in vacuum mode, while heating the crude chloroacetone. I just heard a whopping "FUMP!" and the sound of a gushing geysir afterwards. Pressure had built up, superheated the post-reaction mix and finally pushed open a joint going towards the ceiling upon pressure relief.
I cried tears of pain for days, was disoriented for 45 minutes afterwards, so bad I had to lie down and get out the appartment afterwards.

Tbh I just wouldn't fuck with many of the compounds you mentioned because at some occasion, something will go wrong and I wouldn't want toxic shit covering everything I work with, giving me paranoia for weeks, at best.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:10:19 PM by Hanswurst »