Author Topic: 1000g Spring Scales  (Read 3641 times)

Bwiti

1000g Spring Scales
« on: October 14, 2002, 04:39:00 PM »
I'm sure many of you have seen those cheap 3 to 4 dollar 1000g spring scales..Are they somewhat accurate, or just garbage?

Love my country, fear my government.

Rhodium

You get what you pay for.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2002, 04:50:00 PM »
You get what you pay for. What kind of accuracy do you need?

carboxyl

They are okay for telling the difference between ...
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2002, 10:02:00 PM »
They are okay for telling the difference between something that is 100 g and something that is 150 g, but accuracy is not all that great. I would suggest using a more accurate balance for chemistry related endeavors, but as Rhodium mentioned, it depends what you need it for. If you just bought a pound of something and want to quickly weigh it, you will get an idea of if you were ripped off or not.

The above post is purely fictional. Any resemblance to "real-life" is purely coincidental.

Bwiti

i'm a cheap fuck..
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2002, 07:31:00 PM »
Alright, considering that I can only afford for it to be off by about 1/2 a gram, I need to be more specific and not so cheap..What I really need is a scale that'll weigh up to 500 - 700g, so could one of the mods move this to aquisition please? So far, I've found a 500g capacity scale with a large rotating dial for about $70. Can anyone beat this deal? I'll save spring scales for fishing trips.  :P

Love my country, fear my government.

carboxyl

Like this one?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2002, 03:01:00 AM »

They are accurate and can weigh the amounts you need. Personally I prefer triple beams, and electronic balances when I need a quick weigh with about 0.1 g accuracy. Small electonic balances have an advantage: they are small and can fit in your pocket. I suppose it all depends on what you need it for.

The above post is purely fictional. Any resemblance to "real-life" is purely coincidental.

Aurelius

scales
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2002, 12:12:00 AM »
there are some scales around the bears' home that are $80 US for  0-100g / 0.1g accuracy- interchangeable between several different units (oz, g, and something else)  and are pocket scales.  (comes with 100g calibration weight)

carboxyl

My pocket scale reads up to 120 g with 0.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2002, 02:06:00 AM »
My pocket scale reads up to 120 g with 0.1 g accuracy for under $60.