Author Topic: Supercritical CO2 extraction  (Read 112873 times)

chem_123

Supercritical CO2 extraction
« on: October 05, 2004, 07:56:00 PM »
No fucking around, SWIM's is thinking about building a CO2 apparatus to extract the goods from various friends of the bees..i.e. mush, weed, etc.

How does a bee find out which components of the items in question will be soluble in liquid CO2? will psylicobin? THC?

If so, any tips on creating such an apparatus? links? stainless steel wall thickness? formulae? suggested drawings? hints? tips?

P.S.
TFSE has been probed...nothing of serious merit was found  :(
Please p.m....ty

dumbjanitor

heheh
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 10:16:00 PM »
I discussed this a long time ago, and just like you probally have come to realize its just to hard and dangerous. Think about it you would need to create a bomb to hold your material and the liquid co2. BAM! co2's melting point is super low so you would need to contain the weed/co2 somehow.think of the pressure releasing it. My advise is to go with propane, its cheap, plentifull, and can be used similer to the way you would go about using butane. just get a tank, get an attachment to screw a 1 or 2 foot pipe onto it, get a cap with a bunch of small holes drilled into it a viola. ask me if you want me to go more in depth but just goin to the hardware store with that in mind should be enough to create somthing good. If your confused at the store just say your making a custom bbq grill.

chem_123

ty
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
with the few directed q's that SWIM has asked, SWIM has encountered two separate answers from two separate posters which have come to a similar conclusion, a non-polar solvent needs to bee used under pressure (if possible), or at a low temp. (i.e. below 0deg. C, depending on which np is used)

SWIM has what it needs, ty.

Jacked

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 07:03:00 PM »
If your after a pressure vessel try a medical oxy cylinder. There easy to come by empty, they are made of aircraft Al and have a square valve that is easily unscrewed leaving a 3/4-16 thread with a flat surface for a nylon washer to seal the valve. You can adapt many of an array with this standard set up.. The bottles are rated at 3000 psi and there clean inside... Best of all they come in sizes from 12" x 4" to 5' x 8" all with the same internal thread configuration.

indole_amine

liquid alkanes maybe?
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »
Is liquefied CO2 superior to liquid propane/butane? Because the latter two are way easier to handle, and both are pretty effective high pressure extraction solvents, too...
(just a thought)

indole_amine

dumbjanitor

???
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »
there's a million questions concerning this
1. how are you going to control the gas the you will expell out of the reaction vessle????
The co2 will turn into a gas immedietly
2. how will contain the oil after expelling it
3. are you an experienced welder?
You are making a self contained bomb, better be sure it won't explode
4. What kind of filling station are you going to have to fill your vessle up?
Not knocking or anything, if you know how to do this i would be extremly interested to learn.

Offline aniracetam

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
Re: Supercritical CO2 extraction
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 04:03:43 AM »
holy necroposting, batman..

Offline Halogen

• Scientific method, motherfuckers!
  • Subordinate Wasp
  • Nightcrawler here
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
Start thinking more like a chemist
and less like a criminal © Vibrating_Lights

Offline hamsterbob

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
I want a mr extractor!

Offline aniracetam

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »
I assembled that extractor for >$700, not incl. the rolling island. it is an open loop system.
it is primarily Swagelok parts, 1/4" NPT. the sample cylinder is 1L, rated for 1800psi, but can easily handle 3000. the hoses are rated for 3000. needle valves are rated for 6000. The collection vessel is 316 sanitary stainless with a 150psi pressure relief valve. the silicone heating mat is rated for 750W. operating parameters for a typical run have been 1450-1600 psi @ 55C, temp monitored by thermocouple.

some notes about SC-CO2: it is primarily effective on nonpolar compounds, with m.w. up to 400. polar entrainers such as ethanol may be used to increase the effectiveness of pulling more polar compounds. It is advantageous to soxhlet for pulling nonpolar to somewhat polar compounds, as run times are typically 1-3 hrs, and it can extract thermolabile compounds to good effect. SC-CO2 has similar polarity to hexanes. all material should be dry as possible, as residual water freezes in the needle valves when they are opened, causing backpressure. this is caused by the joule-thompson effect.

I have used it to extract a variety of oils and extracts from star jasmine, lavender, pecans, 75 dried ghost peppers, cinnamon, cocoa, blueberries, vanilla, strawberries, apricots, guava, dill, lemon peel, mint, honeydew, coconut, banana, honeysuckle, and peach.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:34:13 PM by aniracetam »

Offline aniracetam

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »
parts list:

(all brass or stainless steel, except storage tank, and all rated for 3000psi, unless specified)

CO2 storage cylinder
1 10lb aluminum CO2 tank, rated @1800psi
1 CGA-320 cap and stem, with nylon disc (usually included)

3 Swagelok QF-4-S-4PF, quick connect stems, one connects to CGA-320 stem on storage tank, other two connect to needle valves on the sample cylinder

Sample Cylinder
1 Swagelok Whitey 1000CC sample cylinder, with two 1/4" FNPT ends, rated for 1800psi
2 Swagelok 1/4" MNPT needle valves, rated for 6000psi
400mesh SS screen, cut a small piece to stuff in needle valve on sample cylinder outlet

transfer hose assembly
2 Swagelok SS-QF4-B-4PF
2 Swagelok tees 1/4" FNPT
1 3000psi oil-filled pressure gauge, 1/4" MNPT
1 60" stainless steel braided, PTFE-lined hose with 1/4" MNPT ends
2 Swagelok needle valves, 1/4" MNPT, rated for 6000psi, one connects to tee connecting to sample cylinder, facing out..this will be for bleeding backpressure, to disconnect the transfer line
2  1/4" MNPT unions
1  1/4"  hex FNPT union

collection vessel, low pressure

3" x 12" sanitary stainless steel spool
1 3" triclover endcap
1 3" triclover endcap with two 1/4" FNPT inlets, or one with 1/2" (then also get a 1/2" to 1/4" FNPT bushing)
2 3" viton gaskets
2 3" triclover clamps
(connects to collection vessel inlet) 1 Swagelok QF-4-S-4PM
1 1/4" MNPT pressure relief valve, 140 psi

heating assembly
1 silicone heating pad, Omega part# SSHB-1224-720-120
1 PID temp controller, Mypin TA-4, with thermocouple
1 20A relay

note: remember to wrap PTFE tape around all brass-brass/brass-ss/ss-ss connections, 3 rounds. hand tighten connections as much as possible, mark across the connection with a permanent marker, then wrench tighten 1 1/4 turns (for 1/4" NPT connections, as specified by Swagelok).

the nice thing about this sort of setup is its modularity. one could swap out sample cylinders as needed. I also have a 1L Hoke cylinder rated for 5000psi operating pressure.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:48:53 PM by aniracetam »