Author Topic: Vogel 3rd edition online  (Read 4582 times)

Polverone

Vogel 3rd edition online
« on: July 18, 2002, 05:08:00 AM »
I have scanned the entirety of Arthur Vogel's Practical Organic Chemistry, 3rd edition, and converted it into a PDF with bookmarks for each section. It is not as compact or convenient as an OCR'd copy (you cannot search for arbitrary terms within the text), but you should be fine if you print out the table of contents and have it handy. I originally scanned the book at 600 DPI and tried to do OCR on that, but Abbyy Finereader, although a good program, doesn't deal well with chemical/technical symbols. If you have an OCR program that you think might do a better job, contact me privately and I'll arrange a transfer of the original 600 DPI TIFF files. The version presented here is 300 DPI.

This book was first published in 1956, and in my estimation that's plenty old enough to be in the public domain, especially since this particular edition will never again be printed. The law and copyright holder may not agree with me though, so this download will be active for only about a week. After that, it's up to you to keep this book available somewhere out there. Put it on Usenet binary groups, private FTP servers, Freenet, wherever people can get it. Feel free to clean it up, modify it, or convert it into other formats. I believe that I am the first to make and circulate an e-book of this particular text, but if not I only wasted a week.

I am going to be traveling and mostly offline starting this Friday and lasting for about a week, so don't get antsy if I seem unresponsive.

The PDF is wrapped in a zip file to prevent browser plugins from triggering and trying to just display the book onscreen. Download, then read. If you're on a dialup connection I highly recommend that you use a program such as GetRight to ensure that you are able to get this large (66 megabyte) file even if you are interrupted halfway through.

Now, after all the preamble, the file:

http://bcis.pacificu.edu/~polverone/practical-organic-chem.zip

19th century digital boy

acid_egg

Thanks!You are a star ;-)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 05:13:00 AM »
Thanks!You are a star ;)

Rhodium

Hmm... I wonder how big it would bee in *.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2002, 05:33:00 AM »
Hmm... I wonder how big it would bee in *.djvu format? 1/10 of a PDF file perhaps? It is over 50 years old, right? (Copyright protection)

Dr_Heckyll

Just started the download :)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 06:04:00 AM »
Getting a decent 30 kb/s, in a good 30 minutes it'll be on my drive  :) .
Great job, thanks! Keep up the good work!
Once I have developed the immortality-drug, I'll send you a bottle - you
deserve it!

Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Jive by Men at Work
...tells my tale.

Polverone

It is not legal, sadly.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2002, 06:21:00 AM »
I'm not sure where you (Rhodium) are located, but the U.S. Congress periodically extends copyrights whenever it looks like Mickey Mouse might enter the public domain. Copyright now extends to 75 years after the death of the author. I'm not sure when Vogel died (I found a site that suggested 1966), and if that's true I would have to wait until 2041 to share this legally, assuming that Congress did not retroactively extend copyright *again* in the meantime. I hope to avoid legal trouble and a heavy server load by hosting this file for a limited amount of time. Of course, I'm not exactly sharing the latest Steven King book here, so that eases my mind a little bit too. If someone would like to convert this to a DjVu file and it is significantly smaller, I would be happy to host that for a week also.

19th century digital boy

ClearLight

vogel CR
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2002, 06:34:00 AM »
Put it up on the site!

The servers are not in the u.s.  The u.s. copyright laws don't apply overseas...

I don't think that there is anyone who would complain about this... go ahead and do it...

Infinite Radiant Light - THKRA

Mountain_Girl

Thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2002, 09:50:00 AM »
Well done once again Polverone! You've effectively given access to literally dozens of working synths as well as very useful info on laboratory methods, etc.
(You must have a lot of time on your hands..)

GC_MS

woohoo!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2002, 06:21:00 PM »
Many thanks Polverone! Now SWIM doesn't need to look for his book anymore... he always looses all his stuff  ::) . Anyway, great work you did there.

-[ A Friend With W33D Is A Friend Indeed ]-

Sunlight

Thank you so much !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2002, 07:36:00 PM »
Thank you so much !!!

Polverone

This'll be the last book for a while...
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2002, 09:24:00 PM »
I spread the work on the two Muspratt books over months of odd moments. I had them up for a while, then the server crashed, then I put in a new hard drive and they went up again. I did Vogel in 5 days. I don't even want to look at a scanner now. I just wanted to get it done before I went traveling. I can be very monomaniacal when I have a goal in mind.

And I don't have a lot of spare time. There are many things that I should have been doing instead of scanning - sleeping, studying, packing, working... But now it is done and I can move on to other things.

19th century digital boy

acid_egg

Is this working?
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2002, 11:02:00 PM »
I've tried to unzip and it won't...something about file size not matching filesize recorded in zipped file...This took many hours to grab...help plz! :(

GC_MS

Your zip is probably corrupt, downloaded ...
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2002, 11:07:00 PM »
Your zip is probably corrupt, downloaded incompletely. The nice looking Russian lady next to me downloaded it since she never heard of copyright, and she told me the filesize was 69,229,192 bytes. If your size is different, your download is corrupt  ::) .

-[ A Friend With W33D Is A Friend Indeed ]-

GOD

swim had no problems with the download.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2002, 11:11:00 PM »
swim had no problems with the download.  He told me tell Polverone THANKS!

i FEEL funny.

acid_egg

recoverable
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2002, 11:14:00 PM »
Ahh..happy now! :)  the damage wasn't too bad and the file was recoverable/repairable.

Chemikaze

DEJA
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2002, 06:44:00 AM »
Hey, bees,those who downloaded it already,could you convert it to dejavu format,cause i won`t be able to download such file in a week or two,too big for me :( ????Also i`m from Russia and has no problem hosting this file (dejavu file i mean)

Hmm... i wonder is it possible to convert PDF to dejavu DIRECTLY?

When I die bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass.

Rhodium

It should be 20-25 MB or less in DjVu format.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2002, 06:49:00 AM »
It should be 20-25 MB or less in DjVu format. Does anyone have a running linux can, so you can convert the file using dejalibre (

http://djvu.sourceforge.net/

)?

Polverone

Nobody has the LizardTech tool?
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2002, 08:58:00 AM »
I've looked at that free implementation. It says that the encoder is not optimized. I'm running linux but I was really hoping someone had a warezed copy of the Lizardtech encoder that they could use and then forward the file to me for hosting. Is your guess of a 20-25 megabyte file based on the free tool? The Sourceforge page says it has a "simple" bitonal encoder, doesn't sound like it's going to crush the compression used in the PDF.

19th century digital boy

Rhodium

PDF uses no compression.
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2002, 09:43:00 PM »
PDF uses no compression. That's why the file is so big.

Elementary

Umm
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2002, 02:23:00 AM »
Pdf is compressed if it is not text encoded, say an image, but not as compressed as the djvu files.

If you convert a scanned A4 page as a bitmap (uncompressed) and then convert it to a pdf with acrobat, you will find the file size is much smaller.

I've got nothing to do today but smile !

Rhodium

Yes, it is the regular huffman encoding they use ...
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2002, 03:18:00 AM »
Yes, it is the regular huffman encoding they use (like GIF, unlike BMP). It is still not good enough. Think of DjVu compression of scanned text as a JPG compression of a color BMP. Quite a difference, right? Read more about the technical details at

http://www.djvu.com/solutions/document/whitepaper/