Author Topic: Electrolytic HBr  (Read 3904 times)

PolytheneSam

Electrolytic HBr
« on: November 20, 2002, 01:52:00 AM »
I wonder if there is a way to make HI electrolytically.

Patent US4203813

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html

The hardest thing to explain is the obvious

Rhodium

Electrolytic HI
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 02:50:00 AM »
Yes, in

Patent US5423960

and

Patent US4544459

they seem to pull it off.

Organikum

Wow ! Your title is true.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 09:43:00 PM »

DL´ed and quick read the patent in german and this is a rare gem I want to say.
I miss the rating of the post?

I have read the HI patents before and ask myself if the HBr cell isn´t applicable for HI "as is"? What is speaking against this (ab)use?

Did anybody exept me (and MasterSearcher probably) stumble over the possible use of plain PVC as ionexchange membrane? And the other dirt-cheap OTC materials to make the membrane mentioned? No? What a pity.

Membranes are the future! (and biotransformations of course)
ORGY

now or never

PolytheneSam

Wow, Rhodium. It looks like you might be able to ...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 01:56:00 AM »
Wow, Rhodium.  It looks like you might be able to use electricity in place of red phosphorus in the RP/I2 synth.

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html

The hardest thing to explain is the obvious

wareami

Mag-Neat-o-bees!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2002, 01:46:00 AM »
This is really cool!!!
Ibee still ahsn't linked out to the patent yet or Rhodiums links, but Ibee's been dickin around with hydrobromic acid! He's been trying to extract it from a water soluble flux! His initial thoughts were to employ it somehow in the extraction Bizness!(Hey...Quit Laughin ;D ...ya'll know how off the beaten path ibee can get!!! :) ) Not much was found initially in the five chemistry books, but further digging in College Chemistry has turned up some gems about the Hydrohalic Acids.
Aqueous solutions of the hydrogen halides are called:
•Hydrofluoric Acid
•Hydrochloric Acid
•Hydrobromic Acid
•Hydriodic Acid
1.Properties Dependant upon Hydrogen Ion

Hydrofluoric acid is a weak acid, but the other hydrohalic acids are very strong. All of them react with the metals above hydrogen in the activity series, halide salts and hydrogen being formed. The reaction with zinc is given by
Zn + 2H+ + (2X-) __> Zn2+ + (2X-) + H2^

Notice in the equation that the hydrogen ion acts as an oxidizing agent. The hydrohalic acids neutralize aqueous bases, forming salts and water. Their reaction with sodium hydroxide is given by the equation
(Na+) + OH- + H+ + (X-) __> (Na+) + (X-) + H2O

Well anEway, you get the idea!!! That's too much typin ;D
Ibee is going to start investigating this in more detail!
Orgy: If that patent is in German...Ibee is screwed! :)
Thanx Psam and Rhodium!

Everything Ibee says should be taken with a Large Grain of Sympathomimetic Amine Salt
ô¿ôWareami

ballzofsteel

I feel this is very applicable to HI production ...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 12:48:00 AM »
I feel this is very applicable to HI production as is.
Nice one Sam.

Orgy,
Seems to negate the need for sonification also.(good thing as degredation seems to be of concern)
I feel the properties/quality of your membrane is only a factor in regards to the purity of you HI(e.g exchange selectivity)and the cell fouling potential of the halogen used.
I am now of the belief that this will work with clay,porcelain,condoms,asbestos batten ect.as well as VPVC,teflon and all.Another bonus

Seems to raise hope of an iodide salt such as KI to be used as a starter.
Do you believe a liquid cathode is called for and if so hows about a slurry,say from semi evaporated tincture of iodine/potassium iodide?Minimal alchohol of course,or hows about an acetic acid/iodine/KI slurry.
(Feels like Ive heard all this before somewhere)
If not what would be the ideal equivalent for liquid bromine when talking iodine do you think?

I take it H2S04/phosphoric,would have the same properties in relation to oxidisation ect of bromine in this environment,as they would on Iodine?So this would not be of importance.
But if it is:-
Hows about a finely ground carbon used as a semi solid/slurry  catholyte?

Bang! get rid of Iodine,and phosphorus in one foul swoop.
Not to mention a fair bit of glassware.
Soon me thinks.

Always aiming for a one pot,and out of shear curiosity,
could anyone extrapolate toward the effect current would have on the ephedrine molecule.Doesnt realy matter I spose`as the two pot seems nearly doneable.

Rhodium,
I hope you remember my PM to you.In it you mentioned temperature as being the main hurdle.Does it go any further than that?
My only concern at this stage is the effect of current on the reducing ability/mechanisms of the evolved HIacid/gas mix.
Hope Ive made myself a little easier to understand this time.

Its getting better all the time.

Oh the JOy.
Fuck Yeah.
B.O.S