Author Topic: elixir?  (Read 2871 times)

elfspice

elixir?
« on: December 22, 2003, 11:27:00 PM »
i utfse with 'pseudoephedrine elixir' and only got 4 hits...

Looking at the ingredients list, seems to me like they'd be a good source:

70% sugar, methylbenzoate and sodium benzoate, brilliant scarlet... Presumably that's dissolved in water? or is it alcohol... either way, doesn't sound like any polys to ruin our days...

also, still commonly available and easy to get as a pseudo-only preparation.

I was thinking the way to do it was an acid/base extraction as follows:

basify the liquid, extract into xylene (just what i have handy) water wash and titrate with HCl, then recrystallise. (i would think that recrystallising would be essential with that red dye - i don't want oxblood thankyouverymuch)

anybees have any tips for working with elixir?

elfspice

?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 08:43:00 AM »
um...

quite frankly i was astounded by the lack of responses. usually this forum someone would have jumped on it by now. I am aware of the fact that one gets only 600mg pfed out of 100ml of the liquid which costs as much as boxes which have twice as much and more... but, and i must say i became suspicious of a conspiracy of silence, (that's silly)... but anyways, afaik, they only put sugar or glycerine in those things and preservatives. the savings in the extraction probably outweight the extra cost.(maybe it's just cos of the average age of a bee...ie not being old enuf to have the easy excuse of 'its for my kid')

well, bees get older... laws get tighter... i figure this is a hole that they will close eventually, but its only a matter of time...

but if anyone has some ideas... do tell, or pm me and i'll organise this thread to be deleted if that seems expedient, cos seems to me that though there is expense here a lot of heat can be avoided. heat avoidance is very desirable for the bee who just wants to medicate (...who me? NEVER! droogs are illleeegaaall)

anyway, i have no idea, and neither does tfse. if i've missed something or used the wrong search term, i am not at all concerned that i might be flamed, cos that tells me i can find the answer if i look a bit deeper... but i've been watching this forum for a few years now and never seen it mentioned more than a couple of times (elixir, aka liquid pseudo preparations, 'children's' nasal decongestant/hayfever medicine etc).

ragnaroekk

search for
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 05:26:00 PM »
"liquid (pseudo)ephedrine"

and hey: no sources......

SHORTY

How much pseudo is in a bottle?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 07:24:00 PM »
Most liquid medicines are for children which means that they will have less active ingredients.  The syrup i have seen only has 30mg of pseudo per 5ml.  So with only that much you would need more than 1.5 litres to get 10g of pseudo and thats if you got 100% yeild.

elfspice

30mg/5ml, that's 600mg per 100ml okay, i agree
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 08:30:00 PM »
30mg/5ml, that's 600mg per 100ml

okay, i agree it's not much, but what are the economics of the higher-yielding pills which need so much more solvents and work to clean up, as compared with a simple acid/base extraction with no great need of cleaning. I know syrups are easy to extract from, a friend of mine was a freak on dxm extractions, and he wasn't very chemically knowledgable, and he found it quite easy. I expect 90-95% yield should be possible with very little work if i am right about the lack of extraction defeating additives.

Also, the elixirs are available without any other drugs in them, antihistamines or analgesics, so they don't need to be washed out or otherwise isolated using solubility properties.

anyway, we shall see...

biotechdude

That chest cold is back again...
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003, 01:04:00 PM »
The most common syrups contain this
<<
Each 10ml of syrup contains:

Guaiphenesin 200mg
Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 60mg
>>

Swix found 200mL bottles for about $13AUD.  Theoretical yield is 1.2g; practical more like 1g.  Swix is still curious as this would bee an quick easy aquisition for those 'nano-emergencies' that one needs diamonds and dollars quickly.  Ten pharmacies, 2 mates...easy (theoretically)

Now to extraction; will this little 'Guaiphenesin' molecule fuck around?  Is it really just a matter of base liquid, extract to np, titrate, evap, rinse, recrystalise.  Could you concentrate the starting syrup (by boiling) to reduce ammount of solvents needed?

Any other considerations??

chemlush

infant liquid formulas
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003, 10:57:00 PM »
i remember watching a show about parents accidentially o-dosing their children when they gave them infant formula cold medicine, thinking that they should give more to their kids cause they are bigger now. NO! NO! the infant formulas are concentrated so you don't have to fight to feed the infant 2 teaspoons as opposed to a few drops. hmm. i think i may check this out at the store. i always have used reds/steam dist., but i am tired of the time consumption and the downtime, but like the dependability and the product. i may fiddle with a/b extraction of liquid phed.

placebo

Why come and ask a question that you say is...
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 02:01:00 AM »
Why come and ask a question that you say is not in TFSE?
It either is and you have your answers, so no need to start this thread.
Or it isn't and if people new, then it would be in TFSE.
Try hopping off other peoples coat-tails and do some research for yourself and the hive collective. Dig in, get your hands dirty, You may lose a few bucks, but you will reap the rewards, and help other bees at the same time.

Think about it, in the future, people will look back and say, "How bout that fuckin elfspice character, he came up with that write-up that made it fast, clean, efficient and cheap to get pfed out of syrup. What a legend!"

Oh.. and don't get stroppy coz nobody answered you in the half a day you waited. Nobody wants to help an impatient whiny bitch. Nobody is obligated to help you here. Help yourself by learning how to UTFSE better. Try "liquid or syrup".

SHORTY

Syrups are a waist of time and money
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2003, 02:11:00 AM »
In my opinion syrups are a waist of time and money.  I have successfully pulled pseudo from a syrup and it was quite easy to do however, i would rather use the tetra trap on pills cause even if your sloppy and get only 40% yeild its still cheaper than getting 100% yeild from the syrup.

Thats based on the prices available to me.

placebo

Shorty, The best route.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2003, 10:11:00 AM »
Shorty,
The best route.
Opinions and finances vary wildy, dependant on geographical location and availability. So it may not be good for you, but might be great for others.

Beside the point, you went off-topic and blessed us with your tips for financial frugality, and casually mention that you have done the extraction but it's not worth it. Why don't you answer the damn question and let them decide if it's worth it?

biotechdude

"...Thats based on the prices available...
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2003, 10:13:00 AM »
"...Thats based on the prices available to me..."

Price wasn't really the issue; as it's obvious syrups are a complete rip-off and unfeasbale as a regular pseudo source.  Swix was curious as sometimes he would love some quick easy pseudo (in nano ammounts - for EMERGENCIES - whatever the cost) and since Swix doesn't normally tetra or extract from any pills for that matter; it may be handy to know.

Also, in Swix's location, pills are very very heavily watched; and syrup would be easier to obtain for my 'baby brother'

So SHORTY, please humour Swix and explain how you extracted.  However brief u feel it deserves...

SHORTY

OK, i figured it was obvious...
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2003, 01:09:00 PM »
I added a little dh20 to thin it out a bit and then added toluene.  I then added a 50/50 solution of naoh until there was no color change when more was added and swirled.  I then drained the bottom layer and added fresh dh20 and shook then added a tablespoon of salt to speed up the seperation and drained and repeated once more without the salt.  I then added hcl with a dropper until the water layer changed to a light yellow (a ph tester could be used but its obvious when the pseudo goes to the water layer compared to when acidifying meth where its not so obvious).

I would like to add that i feel honored that placebo responded to my post.  After all it was his writeup that encouraged me to steam distill and i still use that method to this day.

Sorry for not giving the details in the previous post. 

I type shorty for username and syrup for the word to find and got 5 hits of which this was the last:

Post 436511 (missing)

(evoh_1: "Epherdrine from syrup", Stimulants)

biotechdude

a/b ok.., steam distill ok?
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2003, 01:00:00 AM »
And hence i assume a base/steam distill of the syrup would work just as easy. 

Thanks SHORTY

SHORTY

Not sure about steam
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2003, 05:28:00 AM »
I have never tried to steam distill the syrup so i can't say whether or not it will work.  My attempts to steam distill pills were all failures due to excess foam.