Author Topic: Phenylmagnesium bromide  (Read 2367 times)

wannabeechemist

Phenylmagnesium bromide
« on: September 20, 2003, 06:58:00 AM »
Are there any Industrial,manufacturing uses for Phenylmagnesium Bromide?
( C6H5BrMg )CAS#100-58-3

Rhodium

Industrial-scale PCP operations use it
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 07:12:00 AM »
Yes.

If you are asking just to have an excuse to buy it, then don't bother to do it. The seller will find out if you know what you are talking about or not anyway, something you doesn't seem to know, or you wouldn't have asked.

Pimpo

Make it yourself
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 07:31:00 AM »
Grignard-Reactions are easier than most of the literature would make you believe!

wannabeechemist

As far as making it Bromobenzene is a known...
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 07:14:00 AM »
As far as making it Bromobenzene is a known carsiagine and is on a "list" so puts you back too square one???

Rhodium

Bromobenzene and Phenylmagnesium Bromide
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 05:33:00 PM »
If you are referring to Bromobenzene being a List I or II chemical, then I can tell you it is not, see

Watched Chemicals in the US

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/watched.html)

"But...", you may say, "Bromobenzene is covered in the list of watched chemicals in that document!"

To which I would reply - Yes, but so is Phenylmagnesium Bromide, and as you need one of them anyway, then why not buy the cheapest and most common of the two?

wannabeechemist

correct... so if you need to come up with a...
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 06:30:00 AM »
correct... so if you need to come up with a reason for having either( bromobenzene is used in motor oil additive products, magnesium turnings are used for metal castings) why not figure out one for the least expensive???

Bwiti

Idea..
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 05:26:00 PM »
You might want to use p-Bromoanisole [CAS # 104-92-7] instead of bromobenzene, to avoid the eyes of the bad guys at the DEA. In the end, you'll get a product that's just about as potent as PCP. Peace!
8)