Author Topic: DIY Catalytic Hydrogenation Apparatus w/ shaker  (Read 5592 times)

dwarfer

re-fart re-tort
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2002, 01:30:00 AM »
;D

The whole durn thing could be replicated
in any pipe you care to specify, with it's
pressure rating.

The "down" arm could maybe be a smaller pipe of
the same material to give the flexibility it would need to enable the vibrator to be effective.

I know pop-off and re-seat valves are available for up to
about 500 PSI.  The left hand H2 generator can be of any size, so H2 production is not limited.

I have TWO variable speed water bed swing weight
vibrators, and attaching both would probably do it,
given the experience I've had with watching the effect
on a 2" steel pipe 4' long.  The frequencies as they
interact are both interesting and powerful.

I've not MADE one of these SS ones,
 so THIS IS a fart..

:-[  ::)  :-[

dwarfer

Organikum

You ruin your ingeneous layout....
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2002, 05:14:00 AM »

You ruin your ingeneous layout, Dwarf by sticking on the lousy PVC. So there is no microwave irridating necessary it is preferable to use this old steel, stainless if by hand, or coated with a resistant plastic paint.
And please tell me seriously what you think about the "vessel in vessel" concept. Please?

For me only one way is left to go, after I insulted my HIVE-ZEN master, the fabulous Dwarf.

Mikado.
äh, no,

yep: HARAKIRI

sniff, sniff
ORGY

~ Love is the law, love under will. ~

jimwig

looks good tastes good
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2002, 02:44:00 AM »
glad i didn't step in it

been considering the stainless steel soft drink containers.
anyone know how to test them for pressure without drawing blood?

just read that the containers have  a maximum of 7 bar which i interpolate as being around 101.5 psi and seeing how the commercial par containers don't go over 65 psi i rectum this will work.

the construction on the kegs is such that the more pressure is generated inside the tighter the lids are held in place. catchy,eh? of course the limit is probably the gasket???

don't recall any welds anywhere
 anywho these are around for as little as $20 or so. the beer makers seem to love them. that's where i got the dozen or so i have - out of a dumpster behind one of xxxx's best home brewers supply when they went out of business last year.

Lucky and keep on diving.....

Osmium

> anyone know how to test them for pressure ...
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »
> anyone know how to test them for pressure without drawing blood?

Fill them with water and take cover.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

jimwig

hey i did that to my cat once
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2002, 10:20:00 PM »
her eyes became as to digital sensors
her rectum as to very low pressure relief valve
and her howl as to the ends of the earth

WATER? - where the hell is your sense of adventure.

and when she got back to the planet - her tailed hairless and smoking - she barely whispered - "may I have another?"

Organikum

stainless steel soft drink containers
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2002, 11:08:00 PM »

Yes JIMWIG, so often mentioned so easy to get and very safe. Seems to be too easy - the hard way is prefered  ::) .

In europe the KEGs are rated at 12atm aka 170psi, more exact the one I just have looked this up is thus labeled.
Law for the european community says that the burst pressure of such containers has to be min. 8x the rating. So burst pressure is >90atm aka 1300psi. Enough headspace I might say. Yes and the containers have to be made in such a way they will never explode shrapnels flying around, but they will break open in a controlled way. Therefore a weakest point is defined.

But I told thus before - did JIMWIGS cat listen?
Has Schrödinger found his cat?

ORGY

~ Love is the law, love under will. ~

bartleby

hydrogenation vessel
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2002, 08:21:00 AM »
The stainless steel soda kegs are rated for a maximum working pressure of 130 psi (stamped right on the hatch)and there is a spring loaded pressure relief valve on top that will blow if the pressure gets too high.  Swib has seen these kegs in 3,5, and 10 gallon sizes.  There is a welded seam on them - very smooth though and barely noticeable.  The gauge of the steel is light which makes swib wonder about how much of a vacuum they'll take.  The hatch, connectors, and pressure relief valve have O-rings on them that are made of a rubber-like material called Buna-N.  I'm not sure if this material will withstand the catalytic hydrogenation environment, but the O-rings look to be generic and can easily be replaced with something more suitable.  Also, the quick disconnects are available in stainless steel but most of the brewing shops only carry the plastic ones.  Connections to the disconnects are either 1/4" flared or barbed.

Chicken

Automotive NOS tank
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2002, 05:46:00 PM »
Automotive NOS tanks work very well as the ballast in this size.  NOS tanks are offered in a variety of cylinder sizes such as 10Lb, 15Lb, and a largew 50Lb if you look hard enough.  These tanks are mad eof ver thick metal and have been tested to 8 bar in this application with no problems.