Author Topic: what is this made of?  (Read 2286 times)

hexagonium

what is this made of?
« on: February 12, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »
Swim needs a quick condenser type thingie. Swim's got this:
pipe drain extension for under the kitchen sink. It doesn't feel hard like pvc and this is needed for an e,rp,i rxn at ~125c/250f for 24 hours. Is this durable enough to do it??

embezzler

ha ha
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »

grandpa

Does it says what it is made of
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »
Plastic are normally quite resistant to that kind of reaction, maybe you should give a try for a small scale rxn. Cant't be more helpfull without knowing which plastic  it is made of

weaz1dls

Ribbs
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »
The reflux will not happen with this device if, when extended, there are ribbs present where liquid can collect.
It will act as a steam collection device requiring an occasional shake. 

As for the material, well it is made for a sink. Most likely the tub type you would see in a shop or in an art shop.  I installed on at a friends art studio once. Have you ever heard or read here on the hive or elsewhere anyone complaining that the pipes under the sink that they dump shit in giving out?  Now before I get verbal lashing, I do not condone such sensless polluting but we know it happens.

Try a few tests.  If it has no metal on it then put it on a bolle in the micro w/water in it or in a bowl of water in the micro.  Bring to boil remove and test integrity.  Water go's beyand the boiling tem in the micro.  Then acid test it.  Like i said though I'm SURE it will work.  It apears to be heavier than a punch ballon.  BTW ever notice how a ziplock bag can hold up to chems for days!  To bad they can't handle heat. ;D

stratosphere

if it doesn't say on the package what its made
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »
if it doesn't say on the package what its made of, but it gives a phone number, just call them and ask, or experiment by exposing it to condtions it will encounter in its end use.