Author Topic: root bark distillation  (Read 1933 times)

Bill_Clinton

root bark distillation
« on: February 16, 2004, 01:11:00 AM »
hello all together...
i had done a simple steam distillation. after i was finished there was a milky liquid solution in my receiving flask. at the bottom there are a couple of small droplets of sassy oil. now my question. contains the milky water some sassy, too??? can someone tell what i have to do in the next step??? Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

BILL CLINTON

karl

Yes it is an azeotrope of safrole + other crap
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 01:30:00 AM »
Yes it is an azeotrope of safrole + other crap and water add some salt and solvent e.g. CH2Cl2 and let it stand for some time until you notice a visible drop in the opacity of the solution . It is difficult to get all of it out but you will probably find that there is not a significant amount entrained in there. It can take a long time for the solution to completely clear. What weight of bark did you steam distil and the volume of water that you collected?

Bill_Clinton

I distilled 600g of root bark and the total...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »
I distilled 600g of root bark and the total receive with water is approximately 250ml.
i have heared that i can wash the solution with dcm.
is this correct?

BILL CLINTON

silenziox

CH2Cl2 != DCM
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »

Bill_Clinton

ok... i have a very bad yield.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 04:17:00 PM »
ok...
i have a very bad yield. from 600g root i got 2ml of sass.
the root bark i have bought from a herbal store. i think this stuff is real shit. in europe we do not have sassafras trees. can someone tell me where i can buy better bark???

BILL CLINTON