Author Topic: Tryptamine breakdown  (Read 1662 times)

Bandil

Tryptamine breakdown
« on: July 25, 2002, 02:15:00 AM »
Hi!

During swims last festival he brought 100 mg's of 5-meo-AMT dissolved in 50 mL's of 40% vodka. Swim WOULD have used 96% alc, but he was all out at the moment, so he was a little desperate. Now a month later swim has still only used 4-5 mL's of the soln... Unfortunately it has turned somewhat yellowish. It has been stored dark and quite cool. What could have caused this? I suppose its because of some reaction with the vodka. Is it still safe to drink the soln or should swim throw out the 100 mg's of 5-meo-AMT(  ::)  ::)  )?

Thanks for you help!

Regards
Bandil

Barium

I really doubt that ethanol would react with ...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2002, 04:43:00 AM »
I really doubt that ethanol would react with 5-MeO-AMT especially under those mild conditions. But tryptamines are known to decompose over time. Was the tryptamine bought as the free base or as a salt.

Bandil

freebase... swim has stored AMT in pure ethanol ...
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2002, 04:57:00 AM »
freebase...

swim has stored AMT in pure ethanol before w/o any problems, but he was a bit nervous of what might stalk around in the vodka...

Lilienthal

Shouldn't be a problem
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2002, 06:51:00 AM »
Shouldn't be a problem, colorations are usually absolutely minor impurities. Tryptamines react with (acet-)aldehydes (which result from air oxidation of alcohols(?)) to tetrahydro-beta-carbolines, so vodka may not be the best storage medium... Don't care too much of degradation products as long as you still have enough of that extremely potent product in it.