Author Topic: Source(s) for Indole(s)...  (Read 6304 times)

Semtex Enigma

Source(s) for Indole(s)...
« on: April 04, 2000, 01:14:00 PM »
Ok, when a synth asks for something, let's just say "Indole" for convienience sake, where the hell does one find this?  I have heard that it can be extracted from shit(literal), but as for ordering it from a chem-hut, are there any legitimate uses for it, or perhaps some alternate names for it...?  Thanks as usual for any and all help... 

nate1924

Re: Source(s) for Indole(s)...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2000, 05:16:00 PM »
Yes, they do occur in shit, because they are quite smelly and so function well as scent markers.  They also are used in perfumes; something that smells horrible en masse can smell good in tiny amounts.  Higher plants use indoles for the perfume of their flowers, but indoles are also concentrated in rotting flesh.  They were discovered by a scientist working with indigo, Indigofera tinctoria, a plant dye and a very stinky one.  Tryptophane is an indole derivative.  Indoles are very reactive, according to what I've read. I have wondered if a person could buy natural indigo dye (which is expensive, but certainly no one would suspect why you were buying it) in order to obtain indoles.  No doubt there are easier ways to get it, though.  My knowledge of this group of chems comes mostly from dyes.

rev drone

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2000, 08:16:00 PM »
Indole is a common organic intermediate. I'd be quite surprised if it were watched. Still, there are better starting materials for certain compounds...

Sumerian

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2000, 08:02:00 PM »
Clonex rooting hormone>>>Indole

Asarone

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2000, 08:25:00 PM »
There is a company (or possibly more than one company) on the net that sells indole to pretty much anyone (no letterhead required)  .  you just gotta find it.  it's not that hard, really. 

Cherrie Baby

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2000, 12:59:00 AM »
Sumerian

Are you sure that the Clonex rooting hormone is Indole? 1) Indole acetic acid is more likely. I've never heard of indole being used as a rooting hormone. 2) the rooting powder has only a tiny percentage of Indole acetic acid in it.

Sumerian

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2000, 05:15:00 AM »
Clonex is indole in a purple gel form. Its much more expensive than the other rooting compounds out there. The cheaper ones contain the indole acetic acid or similar compound. I will be at my local indoor grow store tomorrow,I will check out the label and post back,but I'm almost positive it was just indole.

bennie

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2000, 07:49:00 AM »
check the web fororchid growing sites..at least two sell indole and other straight chems for growing them (NOT cmmmercial formulations)
bennie

rev drone

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2000, 12:59:00 PM »
clonex contains 4-(indole-3-yl)-butyric acid, not indole. Still, indole isn't all that difficult to obtain.

bennie

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2000, 09:04:00 AM »
I dont know what clonex (prob a commercial mix) is, but on the one
orchid site they have three lab or perhaps reagent grade indoles for sale.
I dont have need for any of them so I did not take note of their particular characteristics, just that the prices seemed
reasonable

timeless

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2000, 11:52:00 PM »
what about indole-3-carbinol ?

is it possible to change it to
indole-3-aldehyde in a easy way ?

odin

Indole can be produced from indigo dye, the route ...
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2002, 10:01:00 PM »
Indole can be produced from indigo dye, the route is indigo(+HNO3) >izathine(+Na2S2O4)>dioxindole (+Na,Hg) >oxindole (+Zn, temp.) >indole, but i think it is too expensive and reagents are not easy available. Nitric acid in times when terrorism is so popular.

cattleprodder

The Graduate: ONE WORD.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2002, 11:52:00 PM »
FLOWERS.

Also, indole acetic acid (IAA) abounds in nature (it's in your spinal fluid too) as a plant regulator or something and can be made into DMT rather easily.

IAA + LAH (or better yet, DIBAL) --> PBr3 --> dimethylamine in an energetically favorable Sn1 reaction at the primary, beta carbon to the indole's #3 position --> dimethyltryptamine (DMT; TiHKAL #6).

DMT, or nigerine, is a 4th dimensional type of drug.

odin

You say in flowers, that is correct, but the q.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2002, 05:34:00 PM »
You say in flowers, that is correct, but the q. is in what percent and in whitch flowers.

Rhodium

It is also sold in plant shops as a "rooting ...
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2002, 06:10:00 PM »
It is also sold in plant shops as a "rooting hormone", so there is unnecessary to extract it yourself.

odin

Can IAA, indole be found in any Rooting hormone ...
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2002, 09:18:00 PM »
Can IAA, indole be found in any Rooting hormone or the composition of these product varies. I dont know about US but in my country chem. composition of product is not listed on tag (sometimes you can find strange nombers.
Actually I have one of these here and it sais :Product for stimulation of root growth, and alot of other non usable data.

Rhodium

It may vary. Call the manufacturer.
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2002, 10:12:00 PM »
It may vary. Call the manufacturer.

odin

And Chief, just one thig how to get it pure, ...
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2002, 10:18:00 PM »
And Chief, just one thig how to get it pure, extraction?

Aurelius

percentage composition
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2002, 01:02:00 AM »
even if you can get the compound in decent recovered yeilds, the amount available is small to begin with.  something like 0.5% in CaCO3 as an inert....

alphacentauri

about rooting hormones
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2002, 01:08:00 AM »
.....indole be found in any Rooting hormone....
absolutely not. I never heard about Clonex, but in my Country, for example, the most common rooting hormones contain the Na+ salt of NAA-,  alpha-naphtil-acetic acid(notice the structural similarity with etero-auxine, that is to say the natural hormone beta-indole-acetic acid). Another best seller synthetic hormone is beta-naphtoxy-acetic acid.I use plant hormones on fruit & veg, but I never found one containing the indole group as the aromatic part, all of'em contain that bloody naphtyl group. Commercialized by an italo-german firm in liter bottles of solution(expensive as well).

carcrash

indoles from rooting compounds
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2002, 03:48:00 PM »
From the label of one hydroponics rooting agent.
Contains 0.55 percent Indole-3 Butyric Acid
About 12 grams with perfect extraction from an 8 oz container.

Essential Jasmine Oil % unknown
Alcohol: benzyl acetate benxyl alcohol 
Ester: benzyl benzoate - Ketone: cis-jasmone
Phenol: eugenol 
Ester: indole, methyl anthranilate, methyl jasmonate
nitrogen compounds (>1.5%): methyl anthranilate, indole

From a nutrient supplement capsule $22 per bottle 60 capsules
Indole 3-carbinol 200 mg
Other ingredients: Rice bran, Geletain, Water and Titanium Dioxide

Indigo Dye all Natural $36-50 a pound
I know the dye has been covered but not sure if this price makes this more feasable. Could not find a bulk price on 10 pounds to 1 ton.

Not a chemist I just follow the directions on the box mix

odin

Today, i have read that Jasmine flower contains ...
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2002, 10:16:00 PM »
Today, i have read that Jasmine flower contains indole, but i think that percentage is very low.

carcrash

What about yohimbe/yohimbine as an indole source?
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2002, 03:15:00 PM »
I have been able to find yohimbine extract 8 percent and believe it can be found at up to 20 percent. Yohimbine is an indole alkaloid.

The trunk bark of yohimbe contains up to 6% indole alkaloids, mostly of the yohimbane class, including yohimbine, a-yohimbine, d-yohimbine, allo-yohimbine, coryantheine, etc. – plus various isomers and heteroyohimbanes. The best-researched alkaloid is yohimbine (17 a-hydroxy-yohimban-16a-carboxylic acid methyl ester), the leading pharmaceutical drug for impotence.

Yohimbine.HCl [Y1002] 
Description: alpha2-adrenoceptor blocker.
Chemical Formula: C21H26N2O3.HCl
Molecular Weight: M.W. 390.9
Solubility: Soluble in Water (10 mg/ml).
CAS Number: CAS [65-19-0]
Handling: Store in Tightly Sealed Vial.
Storage: Room Temperature.

Trying to find usable indole sources, I do not claim to be a chemist by any means so forgive me if this indole has no use.

Not a chemist I just follow directions on the box mix

Lilienthal

It obviously has no use as a precursor.
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2002, 02:09:00 PM »
It obviously has no use as a precursor.
Like the jasmin oil.