Author Topic: Sasafras free of safrole  (Read 2149 times)

Grignard

Sasafras free of safrole
« on: November 18, 2003, 04:13:00 AM »
A source of sassafras oil claims that the oil has no content of safrole, is this just something they say to ceep us away? Doesnt sassafras oil contain almost only safrole ;)  and if there is nothing in it, what do the oil consist of? this is an natural oil they said...

calcium

Fragrance Oil
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 05:50:00 AM »
It sounds like 'fragrance oil' rather than 'essential oil'. Check carefully. Genuine sassafras oil is CAS# 8006-80-2.

Grignard

Is that so! so you can`t just buy sassafras...
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 04:12:00 PM »
Is that so! so you can`t just buy sassafras oil from those spice shops?? I live in a country were nobody ever heard about sassafras, and i have to buy it over the fucking internet..

methyl_ethyl

safrole free
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »
It is very common to find safrole free sassafras oil and extracts.  It is not a ploy in order to fool the clandestine chemist, as it would be fairly easy to disprove them.  And if a company is selling safrole free extract that contains safrole that could be a huge legal issue.

I assume oils for use in food products should be safrole free.  I say this because I beleive there is a limit to safrole content in food products, safrole was banned from food products in the early sixties, however there must be a maximum allowable limit, as it would be impossible to have zero detectable safrole in said product IMO.  I always wondered if they just use low safrole containing extracts or if they actually separate the safrole containing fraction.  If that were the case I wonder what happens to all of the safrole.  I think I just found a new business venture, (methyl_ethyl's safrole collection agency, "we pick up and dispose of your safrole for free  We must be crazy!!!!!! our loss is your gain".....)

Just kidding I think they may chemically treat the starting material ie. rootbark, leaves, branches, what have you.  I am not sure what the exact process is, however I doubt they fractionally distill it, although I could be wrong.

good_luck

methyl_ethyl

Grignard

He he... I probably could take the byproduct...
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 10:44:00 AM »