Author Topic: Stoichiometry Help (BDO->GBL)  (Read 2385 times)

ShaiGuy

Stoichiometry Help (BDO->GBL)
« on: September 20, 2003, 09:57:00 AM »
In the solvent free oxidation of BDO to GBL a 50% potassium permanganate and 50% 20/80 mixture of copper sulphate pentahydrate and alumina are added to BDO at a ratio of 2 mmmol BDO to ~4g oxidant. I'm not sure what the mechanism of this reaction looks like, so I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out a more precise ratio of BDO:oxidant, as I'm not all that confident with "~4g".
Many Thanks,
ShaiGuy

Rhodium

Stoichiometry
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 03:23:00 PM »
Maybe the authors of the article wasn't perfectly sure about the mechanism either, and therefore were unable to supply a more precise amount. They may simply have found out by trial and error that this amount gave the best result.

ShaiGuy

Is it possible to use oxidation numbers?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 06:40:00 PM »
I was thinking that the stoiciometry might be obtained using the overall reaction. I know that the BDO loses four hydrogen, but I don't think it's all on the form of H+ ions. The reason they didn't post an exact number was that they wanted a general sysnthesis for about a dozen different compunds, but if someone is able an willing to try and balance the equation and figure out the stoichiometry I would really appreaciate that.
C4H8O2C + KMnO4/Al2O3/CuSO4*5H2O -> C4H6O2
Many Thanks,
ShaiGuy