Site > News

Smoking Toad Venom Phenomenon: Hamilton's Pharmacopeia Season 3

<< < (4/5) > >>

foroz:

--- Quote from: stoichiometric_steve on January 04, 2021, 04:50:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: loft on December 29, 2020, 03:26:43 PM ---
--- Quote ---100 grams of 5-MeO-tryptamine freebase is dissolved in MeOH with vigorous magnetic stirring. A thermometer probe is inserted into the methanolic 5-MeO-tryptamine, and the solution is cooled until it nears 0 °C. Aq. KOH is used to dissolve and stabilize 100 grams of NaBH4, and the solution is transferred into an addition funnel. A second addition funnel is charged with a MeOH-stabilized aq. 37% formaldehyde solution, and the drop-wise addition begins. "And now I start adding the borohydride." [...] Borate salts gradually precipitate, and the salt volume is reduced by overnight heating. As the methanol evaporates, 5-MeO-DMT precipitates as a brown oil and coalesces on the surface. "Pretty beautiful." Simple distillation is used to strip the remaining water, followed by purification of the crude freebase via short path vacuum distillation, "We did it. Yes.", and recrystallization. [...] After TLC had shown total transformation of the starting material, LC-MS confirmed the product was 5-MeO-DMT.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

There sadly is some stuff missing in that synthesis, first of all if he uses Acetone/dry ice as his bath, then the reaction most likely will run below 0°C. Doesn't mention reaction time or amount of HCHO. Simple distillation may or may not carry along freebase 5-MeO-DMT. Also a bit puzzled how he can reduce salt volume by heating, probably meant to say solvent volume.
Not the most efficient or clever workup, but if it works, it's not stupid, right? ;)

--- End quote ---

watch it again.

he is adding dry ice cubes one or two at a time.

just because your using dry ice does not mean your reaction temp is below 0C

it all depends on volume of solvent reaction exotherm and how much dry ice to acetone there is.

he is probably just being lazy as it is easier to use a couple of dry ice cubes in acetone than an ice bath to keep an exothermic reaction

around 0 too 5C.

it also allows you to increase your addition speed.

tryptamine does not azeotrope with methanol.

methanol does not azeotrope with water and as you remove the methanol the salts will dissolve.

and finally the synth he is doing is well known so really he doesn't have to put everything down for a chemist to do it.

after all its just entertainment rather than a journal paper.

please don't pick on noobs its not becoming of you.

stoichiometric_steve:
unsurprisingly, you missed the entire point i was making.

bubbles:

--- Quote from: carl on January 05, 2021, 10:37:18 PM ---*cough cough*

--- End quote ---

hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQEhBai711o

foroz:
I am going to ask you this one more time and then I am going to ask that something be done about it.

my views on here have nothing to do with other forums so stop trying to bring them up.

I am at the moment doing an important project that has taken a lot of time coding.

the time I spend in other places also takes a lot of time and I do not have unlimited time.

I am welcome where ever I go as my skill set is of use so stop trying to imply that you can bully me or decloak me or what ever you are trying to say.

if you have a criticism on what I put up here by all means state you piece but I am not going to tollerate you bringing up other forums here.

carl:
Pull yourself together guys, take it elsewhere or talk it out in private!
Both of you, none of you are the better with your private feud here!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version