Author Topic: Toluene question.  (Read 6464 times)

LoW_JacK

Toluene question.
« on: August 21, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »
Methylbenzene (toluene) is what I've heard is supposed to be the non polar solvent Uncle Fester (to name only one) mentions is an excellent solvent for many post reaction workups in which a non-polar solvent is needed. Soooo, after countless runs with everything from naptha to colemans to odorless mineral spirits (hell I even used 98 octane gasoline once), I stumbled onto a nice little moms and pops hardware store that sells toluene for $13.99+tax a gallon.
What I'm wanting to know is this, What the fuck is so good about a N/P that when gassing, doesnt lend itself to just straight up dropping the hcl crytals of meth like colemans does?  Also, when titrating (<-??) and adding hcl and Dh2o to the toluene/meth layer, WHY WONT THE DAMN TOLUENE LAYER CLEAR UP?
It's as if even if Swim shakes the damn thing until he cant anymore, then puts it in a paint mixer (hypothetically) and then has every single tweeker in the nation shake up the hcl/dh2o+N/P+goods in the 2 liter bottle, it still wont clear. Why is this? 
It was clear before adding the hcl/dh2o to it. So that cloudiness must be goods that arent being transferred into the bottom evaporation layer...right?

Or does toluene just stay cloudy even after all the product has been trasferred into the hcl layer?

Just thought someone with alot of toluene use experience might shed some light on this matter for SWIM. Thanks.

12cheman12

If you take a mixture of toluene and water, or
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 02:37:00 AM »
If you take a mixture of toluene and water, or even xylene and water. When you shake it up the NP will become cloudy because their are tiny droplets of water suspended in the NP. If you let sit over night you will find that it should of cleared up or if your fussy just seperate your NP and dry it over some drying agents or you could just zap it in the microwave.

evoh_1

allow putting a post reaction mixture into the
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 04:23:00 AM »
allow putting a post reaction mixture into the microwave, most molecules will not enjoy the affect of microwaves on them.

ApprenticeCook

huh?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 04:28:00 AM »
12cheman12,
you could just zap it in the microwave
Why do you persist with this microwave solvent drying? you already had it rated as a hazard once... asking for it twice?

Post 525868 (missing)

(12cheman12: "Dyring NP for Gassing", Newbee Forum)

Other than that 12cheman12 is right about the toluene, just let it sit or sep funnel it off and dry over MgSO4 or other suitable drying agent....

-AC

LoW_JacK

excellent my fellow hivers.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »
excellent my fellow hivers. Any of you notice that , for being so highly sought after, toluene kinna sucks ass for gassing. Colemans fuel lets you know when to stop. Toluene barely lets you know you've got chili and not a cloudy mess of pfed after gassing.

12cheman12

orhh, i didnt even notice that other post of...
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 12:25:00 AM »
orhh, i didnt even notice that other post of myne was downrated as hazardous. Besides i was asking about it not telling anyone too.
Ive read posts about people using microwaves to remove alcohol from their NP and they've never been downrated, oh well.

"Toluene barely lets you know you've got chili and not a cloudy mess of pfed after gassing."

It only goes cloudy because of the water, and when your gassing the last thing you want is water so its kind of a good indicator in a way.

ApprenticeCook

Ive read posts about people using microwaves...
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 05:43:00 AM »
Ive read posts about people using microwaves to remove alcohol from their NP
Ill take your word for it, couldnt be buggered searching to verify...
But the key difference here is they are removing alcohol from it, not drying it... ie removal of water.
I dont know much about microwaves but there would (should) be a good reason it was downrated, so hence its a bad idea.
If anyone would care to enlighten me as to why this is a bad idea (being a hazard hazard) could they PM me the reason, its now off-topic, but im curious.

-AC

LoW_JacK

hahahha! This is karma for real.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 01:44:00 PM »
hahahha! 
This is karma for real. I go and derail the ex m'warlocks birch post and then you guys derail my toluene post. Hahahaha!

Isnt life funny like that sometimes?

12cheman12

Its just that NP solvents are invisible to the
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 12:58:00 AM »
Its just that NP solvents are invisible to the microwaves, you could sit some toluene or xylene in a microwave on high and the temp of the xylene wont change.
It might raise very slighty because the glass or whatever the NP is sitting in will heat up a bit and this might heat up the NP.

It was geez posts where ive gotten these insane ideas from.

Sorry bout the thread take ova low jack :p

abolt

Microwaves are a NO-NO.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 01:11:00 AM »
Microwaves are a NO-NO. Solvent Fumes + Sparks (electrical) = Big Bang!

So that cloudiness must be goods that arent being transferred into the bottom evaporation layer...right?

The "cloudiness" is small amounts of water in your N/P. If you want to clear it up, simply give it a brine wash, let it settle, and your Toluene will become clear.

LoW_JacK

No problem 12chem12, .Re: Solvent Fumes +...
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 03:30:00 AM »
No problem 12chem12, 

Solvent Fumes + Sparks (electrical) = Big Bang!

I would expect the same thing