Author Topic: naphtha avaliable in OZ  (Read 7607 times)

begano

naphtha avaliable in OZ
« on: August 05, 2003, 05:42:00 AM »
A well known tyre manufacturer distributes 100% Petroleum Naphtha, is the same as VM&P avail in other countries. Goes under the name: SOLVENT M714C

and yes, SWIM has a 4L can...  ;D

Aurelius

Sources Rules?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 11:06:00 AM »
Don't you people read them?  Giving the product name is as bad as the manufacturer.  Even worse in most cases.

And what is the big deal?  It's naphtha.  Are the Aussies that hard off that they consider 4L of naphtha a 'big score'?

begano

you ever been here??
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 12:38:00 PM »
am jus tryn to help out fellow ozzies in the hunt for honey, seeing that VideoEditor's "New Straight to E -- a novel extraction tech." calls for the stuff... and yes, it is fknhard to find. :(

Xylene from the warehouse type hardware stores.. :)

Aurelius

Begano
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 12:54:00 PM »
Don't take offense. I understand, it's just that naphtha is such a poor choice of solvent that it shouldn't be used unless specifically called for or is absolutely necessary.  (which sounds like it may be the case for you.)  Naphtha is just usually dirty and has various unclean things in it.  if you want a cleaner extraction and are willing to do the work, distill the stuff first. then use it for your extraction work.  It will get rid of some of the junk.

begano

is ok Arelius...
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »
no offence taken,  ;D  have taken the advice though..  ;)

Aurelius

Arelius...
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 03:47:00 PM »
...appreciates appropriate spelling.   :-[

halfkast

What's the b.p. range?
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 04:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the info mate!

U.S. VM&P Naphtha is primarily a combination of octane and nonane.

Aurelius it is a shit solvent? That must be why we don't use it. It's American shit.

Aurelius

Solvents
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 11:49:00 AM »
Doesn't matter where you get it.  American or not the formulations will be the same, or at least comparable.  The point is, if you walk into a hardware store, there's probably (depending on your particular locations), 2-5 other options that will work in better fashion as a solvent and are much cleaner (in terms of overall purity and types of contaminants).

abolt

Just a thought
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 07:26:00 PM »
I must read a "what is Naptha" post every week. Would it be an idea to put a sticky thread on Naptha, for the non U.S. bees, in the Stim. forum?

Aurelius

naphtha
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 09:48:00 PM »
Abolt, you've hit the nail on the head.  Naphtha every week.  Problem is... We've already got a sticky thread for everything.  Search engine too.  We've even got Rhodium's site for pete's sake.  Although I'd like to agree with another sticky thread, do we really need another?

They've fallen out of good use for the majority of bees.  The bees with enough sense to use them already know where and how to the find the information they need anyway.  They are good, easy to use, easy to find references, but I don't think that they get the usage they should.

halfkast

VM&P Naptha Naphtha Oz Australia Auz
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 10:31:00 AM »
Naphtha every week? I haven't noticed that, or any irregular or unexpected posting. We don't have a solvent called VM&P naptha, a few posts is the result.

The definitive answer is: generally VM&P naphtha is a combination of octane and nonane. b.p. range 125-151

No one ever told me it was a combination of nonane and octane. I never complained, I enjoyed the research.
My end opinion was that U.S. VM&P was quite consistant, much better than petroleum ether which sometimes has the same CAS#, but normally lower b.p.'s and generally more inconsistant.

This isn't much of an issue at all.
A sticky thread would bee pretty insulting, I think Ill just give the answer to the question.

>>> The point is, if you walk into a hardware store, there's probably (depending on your particular locations), 2-5 other options that will work in better fashion as a solvent

Yeah probably. The main thing with that procedure is that for the NP it should contain a portion of an aromatic and a portion of an aliphatic hydrocarbon(s).
But VE's selections are pretty solid I think.

abolt

VM&P
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 06:44:00 PM »
I haven't noticed that, or any irregular or unexpected posting. We don't have a solvent called VM&P naptha

Firstly I would assume that VM&P is a brand name. This contravenes Hive policy. Folks should think International when doing write ups. Is there any reason why VM&P Naptha could not be replaced by the words Non-Polar Solvent?

calcium

VM&P Naphtha
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »
VM&P stands for "Varnish Makers And Painters"... it is a descriptor, not a brand name.

abolt

Thanks Calcium
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 08:21:00 PM »
but it still proves my point.

The term "Varnish Makers And Painters" is not used in Oz or other countries.

The term "Naptha" is not used either.

Can folks remember the confusion about "Turps" when Placebo wrote his "Full Turps Cure" post?

All Aussies know what "Turps" is but the U.S. bees had confusion as "Turps" in the U.S. is known as another product.

We need to think International in our writeups.

CSIdet

Naphtha, if you got to have it
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2003, 08:41:00 AM »
I was in a real pinch one nite working a micro I thought that I had all that I needed. Alass my stash in the corner turned out to be something eles. I was stuck 3:00 am and I just needed a little Naphtha.  I thought all was lost untill I sat at my desk and lit up a smoke or tried to. My zippo was on E so I grabed my Ronsonol lighter fluid and started to filler up when it hit me I had plenty of Naph. and it was right there in my hands.

telemetric

shellite
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 01:55:00 AM »
look for shellite, light blue label, colourless liquid, i think its the same or substitutable for naptha.

12cheman12

Shellite is hexane, i know that much.
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 04:54:00 AM »
Shellite is hexane, i know that much.
Im not to sure how good it works as a substitute for naptha though.

telemetric

im sure shellite and hexane...
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2004, 04:57:00 AM »
i beg to diagree, im sure shellite and hexane are different. we need to work this out. ive tried to find some more info mut its hard as the term shellite is a registered trademark or shell and under the title heading it says (petroleum spirits)

ApprenticeCook

here it is (from an oz supplier) Shellite--
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »
here it is (from an oz supplier)

Shellite-->
INGREDIENTS
Paraffins & Naphthenes 95%
The ingredient above can include n-hexane 110-54-3 <13%
Aromatic hydrocarbons <5%
Benzene 71-43-2 <0.5%

-AC

12cheman12

Yeah AC thats the same msds ive been looking...
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 12:14:00 AM »
Yeah AC thats the same msds ive been looking at, i think ive just been reading it wrong.

Paraffins & Naphthenes                              95%
The ingredient above can include n-hexane 110-54-3 <13%
Aromatic hydrocarbons                               <5%
Benzene 71-43-2                                   <0.5%

Where it says "The ingredient above can include n-hexane" i thought it meant the "Paraffins & Naphthenes" thats above that statement.