Author Topic: Setting up an anonymous mailbox  (Read 3405 times)

Flip

Setting up an anonymous mailbox
« on: August 11, 2002, 11:23:00 AM »
Just did some reading into this subject, which recently became of interest.  Found a good book on the topic.

How to Use Mail Drops for Privacy and Profit, by Jack Luger, 1988, 112 pp, illustrated, soft cover. Available by mail from: Loompanics Unlimited, PO Box 1197, Port Townsend, WA 98368

By law, U.S. Postal Service employees must examine and make a record of two pieces of identification for anyone renting a mailbox. The law also requires that private vendors of mailboxes, or "mail-drops," must also see identification and keep records of your name and address.

One employee at a mail-drop explained that he was required by law to have all box renters fill out an address form and present two pieces of identification. He added, though, that no law required him to make certain that the name and address on the IDs matched those on the address form.

He suggested that anyone wanting an anonymous mail box fill in the address form with fictional information. Two subsequent attempts to rent a box at other mail-drops using this technique resulted in one refusal and one anonymous mailbox.

Different vendors provide different services. For example, some mail-drops include keys for 24-hour access to your mail. Prices also vary wildly. A new vendor will often offer great introductory pricing for a mail-drop. Shop around for the features you want. Most shipping and postal service stores have mailboxes to rent, and some storage lockers offer mailboxes.

There are no automatic mail forwarding privileges associated with mail-drop mailboxes. If you close a U.S. Postal Service mailbox, your mail will be forwarded for 6 months or more, at no charge, to any place in the U.S. If you allow your mail-drop box to close, your mail will not normally be forwarded to you. Some mail-drops provide for forwarding for a price, however.

The most complete review of mail drops can be found in Jack Luger's book, How to Use Mail Drops for Privacy and Profit, which is published by Loompanics. Luger walks you through all the various ways you can use these devices to enhance your postal privacy. In Part I, he discusses need greater mail privacy. He points out, for example, that although it takes a court order for government or postal agents to open your first- class mail, no such restrictions pertain to a "mail cover."

In a mail cover, the postal agent (who can be anyone from your letter carrier to the person who sells you stamps) simply notes the address on all mail delivered to your address. "In one sense, this is worse than a court-ordered opening of the mail," writes Luger, "because it's indiscriminate. Anyone who sends a letter or package to an address under surveillance can wind up on a list of suspects."

"Holy shit, would you look at that?"  - Flip (8/4/2002)

DOGFOODHEAD

Just a quick question.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2002, 12:41:00 PM »
Do you know if I can get a mailbox at mbe.com and have my company name as the receiver at their address?

Why haven't you learned anything?

GOD

yes you can. Go in, and request a pamphlet.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2002, 05:02:00 PM »
yes you can.  Go in, and request a pamphlet.  They have a separate fee/service for buisnesses.

DMT... its good for what ails ya!
Just remember to bring back some of the love.

SaintCyril

And another fee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2002, 11:41:00 PM »
And another fee for each additional bussiness neame.
Cy

We are the people that your parents warned you about.

Unobtainium

Makes it convenient for the police that way too.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2002, 01:25:00 AM »
Makes it convenient for the police that way too.

algae

Swia went and got an application for a mailbox at ...
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2002, 05:28:00 PM »
Swia went and got an application for a mailbox at his local p.o., and was wondering just how far the postal employee goes to make sure that the information on the ID(s) are valid. In one of the information feilds he read, it said "ID and physical address varified by postal employee". Swia thought that it might just mean that the employee just makes sure that the name and address matches the one given on the application, rather than do a whole background check to make sure the applicant is giving a real name and real address. Any replys to this question would bee helpfull to swia.

KraZAlchemist

SWIK is interested in this himself.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2002, 07:39:00 PM »
SWIK is interested in this himself.  He heard someone around here say that they opened a PO box with a fake, and then it got closed down a few weeks (or months) later due to "Lack of Identification".  I don't know how else they could verify the ID as real, unless they run the ID through the DMV, and make sure the name and address match the ID #.  (they certainly may do this after sept. 11)

Give'er a try, and let us know how it goes.  I'm sure your ID would pass atleast for the time being (maybe it takes'em a month to check with the DMV).  By that time, you could be done with your anon box.

I used TFSE®

SPISSHAK

Do you get your money back?
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2002, 08:26:00 PM »
Or do they just keep it if it's shut down like that?

wyndowlicker

hey now!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2002, 01:17:00 AM »
Well, the following months after sprt 11 th the Post master general ordered all postal services to check identification on po boxes and such.Its one of those Ive got the whole years box fee in thhis hand here,but damn it!Forgot the fucking ID at home.Can it bee brought in later?Yes,great see you in the next couple of days.Youve now got a po box get a few items of mail a week later see if there is a request for ID ,if not happy ordering. :P This is the most crucial thing to make sure is done correctly very delicately.Use the noodle on fooling everyone around you for there sake and yours. :P

You don't try and wake up a man,when hes trying to be dead. -oysterhead

cthulhujr

maiboxing
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2002, 06:39:00 AM »
Maybe someone could find a weenie head who's ID has a defunct address on it (everybody knows one), have him or her rent a box from one of those franchise mail places for the minumum lease, and give you the keys. Those places never verify the physical address until the lease is up, when they are looking for more money. Whoever did it would only want to use it once or twice. You probably wouldn't want to order a 50 pound sack of rp and a keg of sassafras renderings, but it might work.

"..a particle of risk in everything."

420friendly

lucky
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2002, 08:57:00 PM »
all swim did was go their and on the address form for id they put none and gave me the po box

GOD

rumor has it, at the M place, adress from ID does ...
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2002, 11:14:00 AM »
rumor has it, at the M place, adress from ID does NOT have to match what is written down on form, you can always tell them ya just moved.  Out of state IDs work...

"All that we are is the result of all that we have thought."
-Buddha

anOrangeDrip

not always
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2002, 06:24:00 PM »
SWIM's off-brand M place photocopied his ID and kept that on file along with the form... The guy told SWIM the records will also be sent to the post office, but he wasn't too clear on if the photocopy of the ID was also being sent there.

When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet.

KraZAlchemist

MBs
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2002, 03:37:00 AM »
anOrangeDrip,

Did you use your real ID, for legit purposes or was it a fake?  How long ago?  

If you search the net for "1583" (the name of the USPS form you fill out), you will see many mail box places that have put all their forms on-line in PDF.   Many times, it includes a check list that was intended for the staff (This form is key, so you can know exactly what their looking for when you fill out your forms). 

One of the one's that SWIM found said that photocopying the ID was at the discretion of the staff. 

I just hope they don't start verifying names w/physical addresses.  I don't see how they could though; it would cause more headaches that it would be worth.  A DMV check would be another story (out of state ID would probably work for this though)

I used TFSE®

GOD

Just make sure both the novelty ID as well as the ...
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2002, 03:53:00 AM »
Just make sure both the novelty ID as well as the addy written on the form are legitimate adresses- whos to say swiy didnt just move a month ago?

"All that we are is the result of all that we have thought."
-Buddha

anOrangeDrip

of course it was a real id
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2002, 10:20:00 PM »
but the address on the id is another postal mailbox with which an older out-of-state ID was used... kinda confusing maybe? nah...

When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet.

KraZAlchemist

Re: Just make sure both the novelty ID as well as ...
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2002, 05:04:00 PM »

Just make sure both the novelty ID as well as the addy written on the form are legitimate adresses-

That is a DEFINITE must.

legitimate as in, the address just "exists"?  I mean, would it seems suspicious if it was at a non-residential address?  Like 543 Main Street  or somthing like that?

Seems as though the USPS would put those 1583's in a computer database somewhere :-[

"We face daily, a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems."[sic]

Flip

Friends
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2002, 10:24:00 PM »
The best solution that I was able to think up, and this requires truly good friends whom you trust, is to set up your own remailers and have them ship the packages to a safe location.

Getting a library card as the secondary id on your own box set up with an out of state fake id would of course be the next best solution.

Flip

Conclusion /nm./: the place where you got tired of thinking.

SPISSHAK

The best solution that I was able to think up, ...
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2002, 11:26:00 PM »
The best solution that I was able to think up, and this requires truly good friends whom you trust

There is no such thing, hell I don't even trust my brother.

Flip

That sucks
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2002, 07:14:00 AM »
That may be, but the fact remains that not everyone is a damn snitch when they get some heat on them.  I know a few people who would not divulge information on even people that whom they hate, just on the basis of principle.  There are people in this world who would rather be in jail than to have violated their principles by cooperating with the police.  I'm not really the best judge of charachter, but the test of time will prove a true friendship as such in the end.

Flip

Conclusion /nm./: the place where you got tired of thinking.

SPISSHAK

SWIM remember back in tha days
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2002, 07:57:00 AM »
Of cocaine inc. SWIM went down and did'nt say shit.
But of course, there was some guy that got popped and ran his mouth.
SWIM , and my higher ups went a lookin for his white ass just to see if we could scalp him.
No such luck, but that's the best way to handle those kind in SWIM opinion, we don't ask questions just make sure they die.
Any of you people talking about best friends and such betraying you, fuck, why bother with the talk just kill theire ass and don't say nothing. That's the main reason people like that exist is they aren't dead yet. So quit bitchin and get to mudering.

ChambeRed

Wrong dude
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2002, 08:07:00 AM »
Swim has two friends he trusts with his life/freedom 100%,thank god for that because them and the hive is all he has for true expression of his views without endangering his freedom ::) .Real friends are for real/life and Swim does't think he could function well in this lifestyle without them,or for that matter the hive :o .Trusting noone must suck.

Bee's don't die,we just multiply.