Author Topic: ??? about having something custom synthed  (Read 2749 times)

smutboy420

??? about having something custom synthed
« on: September 19, 2003, 01:02:00 AM »
my buddie has been thinking of looking in to finding a co. that will do a custom synth. of 2C-I.
should he go with a U.S. co. or should he look to asia?
what kind of batch sizes does a typical custom synth co. require one to buy? what do they consider a small batch? any other info that might be relivant?

Rhodium

Dealing with custom synthesis companies
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 06:40:00 AM »
Don't try to have any US company make it for you, that is just asking for trouble if you are not a legitimate business.

What kind of batch sizes does a typical custom synth co. require one to buy? what do they consider a small batch?

They don't require anything, usually. But as their initial costs for a new compound are much higher than the actual costs for chemicals etc, they may charge you $500 for one gram, but only $2500 for 100 grams (I have no idea about the actual costs for 2C-I, I'm just trying to illustrate that you may need to order a certain amount for their fee to be cost-effective for you, as they couldn't care less about that - they simply charge you for their time and expenses).

It is hard to say what is a small batch or not, for a simple substituted benzaldehyde, orders below one kg would probably be small, but for a complicated biomolecule with several stereocenters, orders of more than a gram might be considered a lot.

Also, the easier it is for them to figure out a working synthesis of the target compound from commercially available precursors, the cheaper it will be for you. If you can supply them with a journal article which details a high-yielding cheap route to your desired compound (in as few steps as possible, their chemist's time is expensive), then your final cost per gram will be considerably less than if you just give them a target compound with no clues for them how to make it. If there are no reported syntheses of the compound in the literature, then it can become very expensive, as they may need to experiment a lot first before finding an optimal synthesis.

L_jamf

right on
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 09:13:00 AM »
i'd also email a bunch of these places and ask for pricing for various order sizes. i don't know how they'd respond to you sending a journal article along with the request (no experience there), but if you have enough capital i'd just make the 2C-I instead of ordering it.

i had a pretty good experience with chinese companies giving me responses, but many of them want to ship train cars full of the stuff. it's important to remember that many companies (at least in china) know what someone would want 2C-I for, and will price accordingly (to milk you). if you've got enough money for a large batch (like ~$10-15k), you may want to consider doing your own workup, as the fixed-cost investment of equipment and reagents is nothing compared to the payout from a decent batch size (~50g).

gl hombre.

smutboy420

them bastards
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 11:15:00 PM »
i contacted a few places in china. none had a quam about hooking me up. but they all wanted more for it bulk price per gram. then i can get it for state side for a single gram. it would be nice if i could find a place that would do it for $50-$75 a gram for 100 gram+ order. cause i realy don't want to synth it my self at this time. i know our source right now has to be getting it around that range based on what he sells it for. but it ain't like he's going to reveal his source to me. :)
i wounder if i any co. in china would send me a kilo sample out of a rail car size load :) lol.

smutboy420

howee cryap. I mean holly crap
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 09:30:00 PM »
i ended up finding a place that has the compounds im looking for in stock. at prices cheaper then i figured it would be once i started asking for bigger amounts. i found a place that was riduculesly low priced. if i buy a kilo its still a lot of bread. i trust the co. cause i found out its where at least one of the suppliers i know of is getting it from. and they have been in biz for a few years. so it would just be a matter of sending them the payment. then waiting for it to arrive. would i have a chance for it to arrive threw customs if i am not a legit co. yet? they claim its legal to get so they say they don't see any problums with it arriving.(i would need papers for other compounds they sell) but they might of thought i was already a research chem supplier. i din't want to express i was not and fuck up the deal at all tho. so if the co. is legit and not plaining to run with my $$. can i expect it to get threw to the states?

rudebwoy

just order the smallest batch first
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 06:02:00 PM »
Why don't you use common sense and just order the smallest amount they carry
to see if it comes through customs. 

If it doesn't, then you know not to order from them again.

Don't order it if it's going to break your pocket.

smutboy420

oh ya. that goes with out saying
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 12:28:00 AM »
im definitly not getting the large amount inless it pans out on a smaller amount first. im thinking of going down town later this week and getting my self anouther DBA. just to make sure every thing goes smooth. ive even considered making a trip over. because its going to be a lot of bread.