Author Topic: mixing of safrole and isosafrole  (Read 1970 times)

pickler

mixing of safrole and isosafrole
« on: March 01, 2002, 02:59:00 AM »
Swim was over at chemfinder and looked up safrole and isosafrole. Safrole has a density of 1.095 and the isosafrole at 1.12 :o Now swim mixed a small amount of iso and safrole and expected the iso to go to the bottom and safrole on top. Nothing happened. Is this because it is essentially the same substance? Swim figured if anything did happen, it would take a little while considering how close the two are in density. Still nothing though. Any ideas? :P

We'll soon FIND OUT if I'm a chemist or not!

Rhodium

Re: mixing of safrole and isosafrole
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2002, 03:10:00 AM »
The density argument does not hold when the two liquids are miscible with each other. If you mix water and coffee (which have slightly different density), they will not form separate layers, but instead a homogenous solution. The same thing goes for safrole/isosafrole.

Only when immiscible liquids (like toluene/water) are poured into the same container, one will float on top, and that is the one with the lowest density.

cheeseboy

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2002, 09:13:00 AM »
It would be hard to tell unless the safrole and isosafrole were different colours. Put a few drops of dye in the iso and then mix them, wait and see. But like Big R says, they are miscible and wont form a layer. But somehow cheese thinks that after time the two WOULD form two layers because they are oily. Cheese don't know sheeeit. What are you trying to get out of this experiment anyhow pickles? It's fun to fuck around though, cheese wishes cheese had enough safrole to play around with it. :)

Cheeseboy-a whiteboy with Soul Like a black guy without soul
May The Source Bee With You Always.

ChemicalSolution

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2002, 03:36:00 PM »
Lets say for instance you had a mix of iso and safrole.. You could certainly find out what % of each is present.

let x=mL of safrole
ley y=mL of iso.

x + Y= (your total ml)
x*(density of safrole) + y*(density of iso)= (total mass of solution).

Now solve for x or y and then insert into the other equation-- you know, high school algebra stuff..

This is how SWIM finds her %'s of all mixed solutions.

xoxo
Julia

Chromic

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2002, 05:12:00 PM »
But like Big R says, they are miscible and wont form a layer. But somehow cheese thinks that after time the two WOULD form two layers because they are oily.

You're wrong, and you knew you were wrong, yet you posted drivel!? Just as ethanol and water won't spontaneously separate from vodka, neither will mixed isosafrole and safrole. It's a question of thermodynamics...

Argox

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2002, 02:39:00 AM »
Drivel.  Drivel.  What an excellent word!  Thanks, Chromic, for the chuckle.  You have expanded my vocabulary and cheered my afternoon.

Maybe we can make an icon to represent drivel.  We could then spray it over most of the posts (including many of mine, I'm embarrassed to say).  Drivel.  I love that word: it sort of rolls off the tongue in a haughty, teutonic way.  Very classy putdown. Well said, Chromic.  Cheers, mate.

blaztoff

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2002, 05:38:00 AM »
How about try freezing them. Isnt Safrole freezing point a lot lower than ISO.

pickler

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2002, 10:59:00 AM »
Swim isn't trying to seperate them, just curious about the whole deal.

We'll soon FIND OUT if I'm a chemist or not!

Chromic

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2002, 05:36:00 PM »
>it sort of rolls off the tongue in a haughty, teutonic way.

That's precisely the deeper tone I wanted to convey in my bad mood. I'm glad you enjoyed it for a second of your thoughts...  :)

slothrop

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2002, 08:25:00 PM »

Lets say for instance you had a mix of iso and safrole.. You could certainly find out what % of each is present.

let x=mL of safrole
ley y=mL of iso.

x + Y= (your total ml)
x*(density of safrole) + y*(density of iso)= (total mass of solution).

Now solve for x or y and then insert into the other equation-- you know, high school algebra stuff..

This is how SWIM finds her %'s of all mixed solutions.

Well... that's not 100 % correct, since in most cases density doesn't scale linearly.

//T. Slothrop