Author Topic: sulfur containing mbrp? could lead to H2S?  (Read 2977 times)

penner

sulfur containing mbrp? could lead to H2S?
« on: December 19, 2003, 01:26:00 PM »
Dose anyboy know someting about sulfur containing mbrp, the problem is that sulphur is like RP non polar. I cannot get rid of S with acetone and Water washing.
The danger that it could could lead to H2S: 2HI + S + delta temp -->H2S + I2 and H2S is deadly toxic.
P.S: I have alredy used TFSE®

WizardX

Phosphorus pentasulfide
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 01:41:00 PM »
If the match head has sulphur, S it will react with RP to form Phosphorus pentasulfide. However, the reaction between RP & I2 will predominate.

Phosphorus pentasulfide  CAS 1314-80-3 
P2S5/P4S10  RTECS TH4375000 
Synonyms & Trade Names
Phosphorus persulfide, Phosphorus sulfide, Sulfur phosphide  DOT ID & Guide
1340 139 
Exposure
Limits  NIOSH REL: TWA 1 mg/m3 ST 3 mg/m3 
OSHA PEL†: TWA 1 mg/m3 
IDLH 250 mg/m3  Conversion 
Physical Description
Greenish-gray to yellow, crystalline solid with an odor of rotten eggs. 
MW: 222.3/444.6
 BP: 957°F
 MLT: 550°F
 Sol: Reacts

VP(572°F): 1 mmHg
 IP: ?

Sp.Gr: 2.09

Fl.P: ?
 UEL: ?
 LEL: ?

Flammable Solid, which may SPONTANEOUSLY ignite in presence of moisture. 
Incompatibilities & Reactivities
Water, alcohols, strong oxidizers, acids, alkalis [Note: Reacts with water to form hydrogen sulfide, sulfur dioxide, and phosphoric acid.] 
Measurement Methods
None available 
Personal Protection & Sanitation
Skin: Prevent skin contact
Eyes: Prevent eye contact
Wash skin: When contaminated
Remove: When wet or contaminated
Change: Daily

First Aid (See procedures)
Eye: Irrigate immediately
Skin: Dust off solid; water flush
Breathing: Respiratory support
Swallow: Medical attention immediately

Respirator Recommendations NIOSH/OSHA
Up to 10 mg/m3: (APF = 10) Any supplied-air respirator*
Up to 25 mg/m3: (APF = 25) Any supplied-air respirator operated in a continuous-flow mode*
Up to 50 mg/m3: (APF = 50) Any self-contained breathing apparatus with a full facepiece/(APF = 50) Any supplied-air respirator with a full facepiece
Up to 250 mg/m3: (APF = 2000) Any supplied-air respirator that has a full facepiece and is operated in a pressure-demand or other positive-pressure mode
Emergency or planned entry into unknown concentrations or IDLH conditions: (APF = 10,000) Any self-contained breathing apparatus that has a full facepiece and is operated in a pressure-demand or other positive-pressure mode/(APF = 10,000) Any supplied-air respirator that has a full facepiece and is operated in a pressure-demand or other positive-pressure mode in combination with an auxiliary self-contained positive-pressure breathing apparatus
Escape: (APF = 50) Any air-purifying, full-facepiece respirator (gas mask) with a chin-style, front- or back-mounted canister providing protection against the compound of concern and having a high-efficiency particulate filter/Any appropriate escape-type, self-contained breathing apparatus 
Exposure Routes inhalation, ingestion, skin and/or eye contact 
Symptoms Irritation eyes, skin, respiratory system; apnea, coma, convulsions; conjunctivitis pain, lacrimation (discharge of tears), photophobia (abnormal visual intolerance to light), kerato-conjunctivity, corneal vesiculation; dizziness; headache; lassitude (weakness, exhaustion); irritability, insomnia; gastrointestinal disturbance 
Target Organs Eyes, skin, respiratory system, central nervous system

nightshade

So the heads of strike on anything matchs...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 07:02:00 PM »
So the heads of strike on anything matchs could be used. Yes

WizardX

Not sure?
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 06:02:00 AM »

So the heads of strike on anything matchs could be used

Not sure? From memory recall I think they are potassium chlorate + Phosphorus pentasulfide.

nightshade

It seems that a hybred H2S reduction and HI...
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 07:54:00 PM »
It seems that a hybred H2S reduction and HI reduction could be done using strike all matches found anywhere in the world if the favors HI reaction good vent condenser outside to rid reaction of unused H2S.

nightshade

Wizard X you posted a stink bomb method of...
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 08:06:00 PM »
Wizard X you posted a stink bomb method of ephedrine reduction,it seems maybe a dash NH3OH in the cook would make best use of the strike all matchheads.

WizardX

H2S
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 10:12:00 AM »
nightshade: I didn't post the stinkbomb method, but I did post the H2S reduction of ephedrine.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/WizardX/login.html