Author Topic: How to make 2-hydroxyacetophenone?  (Read 2191 times)

Dr_Heckyll

How to make 2-hydroxyacetophenone?
« on: July 23, 2002, 02:15:00 PM »
Any suggestions for short, efficient and cheap ways to prepare 2-hydroxyacetophenone [Ph-C(=O)-CH2-OH]? The compound is commercially available, but too expensive to be of use. Ring-substituted derivatives would also be of interest.

Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Jive by Men at Work
...tells my tale.

Cyrax

Synthesis
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 02:35:00 PM »
Any suggestions for short, efficient and cheap ways to prepare 2-hydroxyacetophenone [Ph-C(=O)-CH2-OH]?

First, we have to acylate benzene with benzyloxyacetylchloride: put dry benzene and anhydrous AlCl3 in a flask and add the acetylchloride, let react at 50 °C

Then, we should remove the benzyl protecting group by catalytic hydrogenation with 0.5 weight eq. of 10 % Pd / C at 48 psi.

What can one do with this compound?

Dr_Heckyll

Interesting solution, Cyrax, but not quite ...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 04:15:00 PM »
Interesting solution, Cyrax, but not quite satisfying for two reasons: benzyloxyacetylchloride is expensive and not broadly available, and catalytic hydrogenations, especially under pressure, are not generally available in smaller labs.

The compound of interest can easily be converted to 4-phenyl-4-oxazolin-2-one and substituted analogues which might have some pharmacological activity.

Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Jive by Men at Work
...tells my tale.

Osmium

acetophenone ----> chloroacetophenone ---> ...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 05:26:00 PM »
acetophenone ----> chloroacetophenone ---> desired product

OMG! These druggies are converting tear gas into drugs!

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.