Author Topic: GABA in Canada  (Read 2212 times)

spectralmagic

GABA in Canada
« on: January 16, 2003, 10:49:00 PM »
FYI, apparently GABA is not legal to sell for human consumption in Canada, according to the friendly neighbourhood health food store.  After convincing them that I wasn't from the health board, they sold me some that they had hidden away (very pricy).  This doesn't look like a viable source for those Canadian bees who are contemplating the GABA -> GHB dream.

gabd

Very easy
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 12:44:00 AM »
You have to dream harder
Just order it from the states that should work right?
Those guys at the border couldnt care less, DHEA and melatonin go through everyday. With so much stuff coming in and out of the country(80% goes to the state) They cant really control that. In Canada, supplements are a lot more reglemented then in the US and stuff like androstenedione is not legal, yet you can find it in every gym store. Same goes for DHEA and melatonin. I dont see what why GABA cant be the same. Have a friend order it. RCMP wont come knocking on his door if he orders GABA. Worst case scenario is that they will seize the GABA. I think its worth trying.

spectralmagic

Right.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 02:52:00 AM »
That was sort of my point, between the lines.  The health food stores are not a viable source.  International orders are another situation...  and as long as you're not ordering it for human consumption, I'm sure it could be found domestically in bulk, although I'm just as sure they'd be curious as to why... (which doesn't necessarily mean they suspect anything illegal is going on)

raffike

Over here(europe) health stores know nothing...
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 07:00:00 AM »
Over here(europe) health stores know nothing about GABA,but we can still order "ink remover" in europe.

SPISSHAK

What's that post I saw one time
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 07:26:00 AM »
Somewhere somebody mentioned here on the hive you can find GBL in spray cans of graffitti remover.
Is this true?

carboxyl

Hmm
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 08:37:00 AM »
Maybe you should go take a look down at the local hardware store, I think I'll go out for a peek tomorrow to check this out. I'm assuming it's going to be mixed with a bunch of gunk making purification a bitch, but who knows, maybe I'm just a pessimist.

raffike

Sometimes they use some kind of very expensive
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 03:44:00 PM »
Sometimes they use some kind of very expensive "special" graffiti remover,i think it might be GBL.I think DEA has made so that they do not contain any GBL,but like Rhodium said,world is bit larger than these 51(or was that 50) states and in Europe one just might find some if he looks hard enuff.

foxy2

I found an otc product that say, ...
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 09:17:00 PM »
I found an otc product that say, "contains butyrolacetone"

What does GBL taste like?
What is its viscosity?

The container is only 7mL
Maybe I'll see if it converts to GHB, any other easy tests for a bee who has never had "verifiable" GBL.

Chromic

GBL
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2003, 10:26:00 PM »
GBL is similar in properties to sassafras oil. It's not really volatile, it damages certain plastics, it's not very viscous (similar to water but it has less surface tension) and GBL doesn't smell as much.

hypo

heh...
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2003, 10:30:00 PM »
> "butyrolacetone"

heh, is that a typo of yours or the company or a strange chemical?  ;D

gbl smells sweetish but like a solvent.
it's not especially viscous.

dissolve some NaOH in EtOH, add a few drops of your suspected gbl.
if there's spontanous precipitation of a white substance,
you have a good chance that it's gbl.

hypo

hmmmm...
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2003, 11:45:00 PM »

SPISSHAK

Try googling
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2003, 01:01:00 AM »

hypo

heh...
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2003, 01:21:00 AM »
that made me  :)

(but honestly: not all hits seemed to be typos for butyrolactone)