Author Topic: ergotamine to lysergic acid ester??  (Read 1769 times)

spooky1234

ergotamine to lysergic acid ester??
« on: January 16, 2003, 08:56:00 PM »
Since ergotamine is a amide which can be hydrolyzed to lysergic acid can it by used directly in methanol and hcl to form lysergic acid ester?? or if it forms an ester of ergotamine could that be hydrolyzed to lysergic acid ester with an aqueous HCl solution?? Feel free to flame away if i'm far off. I'm not a chemists and don't know much at all about chemistry I just thought I might be on to something. If ergotamine forms lysergic acid ester in one step in high yeild it could mean the synthesis for lsd from lysergic acid ester isn't all that low yeilding once the iso-lsd is converted to lsd. If your starting from ergotamine of course. Sorry that I don't know if ergotamine is a lysergic acid amide. I'm guessing it is just isn't refered to as an lsa since lsa referes to the lysergic acid amides in morning glory seeds. Well have fun flaming and keep in mind I have no intentions on preforming this or any other synthesis. Just curious

spooky1234

I red the synthesis for lsd from lsa ester...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 09:15:00 PM »
I red the synthesis for lsd from lsa ester wrong. I was thinking it produced 620mg of iso-lsd but now see that the 620mg is just iso-lysergic acid. I would still like to know if ergotamine is a lysergic acid amide though.

Rhodium