Author Topic: Ethylenediamine sulfate  (Read 1409 times)

wolfx

Ethylenediamine sulfate
« on: March 13, 2004, 12:26:00 AM »
I would like to know how to get pure ethylenediamine from the sulfate salt.

Also, in the EDDA synthesis, can DCM replace ether ?

Rhodium

Basify, extract, distill.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 02:53:00 AM »
Basify, extract, distill.

armageddon

ether isn't necessary
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 05:47:00 AM »
Since you anyway would need to recrystallize your EDDA from IPA (or other alc), the easiest way is probably to dissolve ethylenediamine and GAA in your alcohol of choice, cool to <0°C, combine the two solutions, mix well and cool again to get crystals - this way you won't have to isolate the EDDA just to dissolve it again.

It saves a lot of time (since you plan to basify/extract/distill ED-sulfate, which isn't the fastest way of getting ED, this might be of interest to you..  :P )

Greetz A

wolfx

Dry ether
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »
Thanks to Armageddon for his input.

Just after I have posted it I found out the EDDA recipe uses dry ether. I don't think I can make it or get it.

If someone could come up with a variation that does not uses dry ether, I believe it would be a nice way to make the nitrostyrene. Hopefully better yield, better product and less work.

Unless I know for sure, I think I will instead use the more conventional way of making the nitrostyrene.

Rhodium

Use any unreactive solvent
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 08:49:00 PM »
Just after I have posted it I found out the EDDA recipe uses dry ether. I don't think I can make it or get it.

Use any unreactive solvent which dissolves EDDA freebase and acetic acid but not the EDDA salt. The reason ether is used is that it fulfills those criteria and is easy to evaporate.