Author Topic: Cumene IsoPropylbenzene  (Read 3356 times)

isopropylcumshot

Cumene IsoPropylbenzene
« on: August 27, 2003, 01:02:00 PM »
it seems that the manufactures of products containing large quantities of 'Isopropylbenzene' AKA 'Cumene'

have all adopted the vague' rule of ingredieant listing..

I.E.
 Spick 50 product

http://www.pzlqs.com/MSDS/025/025022.pdf

used to have Cumene listed in it's MSDS and on its packaging.....

Not any more !

The good thing is there's a distinct smell to it and recently, this bee enjoyed the acts of product sniffing at a local store....  Tee Hee

somthing sonding like
Penn ZO Oil SHOW a GUNN   fuel system cleaner was a definite US OTC canidate for a source of Cumene via careful distilation.

Rhodium

And cumene is useful for what?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 09:43:00 AM »
And cumene is useful for what?

isopropylcumshot

non verified use for Cumene as starting material
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »
A fellow bee PM'd me this non verified use for Cumene as starting material to Methamphetamine

Quote "

Phenyl-2-chloropropane
is made in 100% yields from cumene, chlorine, CO2 and UV.

Ref. Chem.Ber.,89,2641(1956)
Thats a photocatalyzed sidechainreaction, so it will have to be run hot (boiling/reflux).

Meth is made in 50% yield (thats on the reaction mechanism - not much more possible)
from phenyl-2-chloropropane, alcohol (try IPA) saturated methylamine and cooked in a autoclave (bomb) at 160 degrees for 9hrs.

Ref JACS,68,1009(1946)
Reference is on Rhodiums page - look in the "wanted references" thread in "novel".

This is identical to the bromosafrole to MDMA synth.
And so the anonymous bee presented this:

Do an "Finkelstein swap" after step one changing Cl with I. Easy like shit, I posted it lately. And voila you won´t need 160°C and the pressure. Not open pot as this would be a waste but much more harmless conditions. (Finkelstein: NaI in acetone + chlorocompound -> swap. NaCl separates as not soluble in acetone. Done)

comments please

and another fuel system cleaner

http://www.airosol.com/McKay%20MSDS/50122.html

hypo

molecular rearrangement?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 11:04:00 PM »
ok,

chlorination of cumene gives 2-phenyl-2-chloropropane.
(methyl)amination of 1-phenyl-2-chloropropane gives (meth)amphetamine

but where would the rearrangement from 2-phenyl-2-chloropropane to
1-phenyl-2-chloropropane happen?

UKBEE

sheesh
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »
how much cumene dod you thinks in these cans...

from the msds sheet on the like it says this

Petroleum Distillate
 85-90%

2-ethyl-1-hexanol
 1-5%

Cumene
 < 0.2

Xylene
 < 0.1

Aurelius

Post on cumene
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »
That reference dealing with cumene is useless- Hypo is correct on the product.  I personally looked that one up in interest a long time ago.  Even made a post to let people know.

SPISSHAK

Cumene is useless???
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2003, 12:29:00 AM »
by no means fellow bees.
you can halogenate it and eliminate HX to get alpha-methylstyrene.
I think Our more astute bees can take it from there, hehehe.
though looking at msds's is see it's a component of sealant and curing agents more than not with a percentage of 1-5%

Rhodium

Cumene Chlorination reference
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2003, 04:47:00 PM »

Aurelius

Spisshak
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2003, 09:05:00 AM »
I was merely referring to the synth of more common drugs.  I understand there may be other uses for it, but those were not the point.  Yet, I'm thankful you brought the subject up.  I've got somebody looking for this particular type of synthesis and the thread spurred my memory.

thanks!

roger2003

Cumene
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2003, 10:10:00 AM »
Kirk-Othmer 4th:

Uses
More than 95% of the cumene produced is used as feedstock for the production of phenol and its coproduct acetone . The cumene oxidation process for phenol synthesis has been growing in popularity since the 1960s and is prominent today. The first step of this process is the formation of cumene hydroperoxide [80-15-9]. The hydroperoxide is then selectively cleaved to phenol [108-95-2] and acetone [67-64-1] in an acidic environment (21).
Phenol, in its various purity grades, is used for phenol-formaldehyde resins to bond construction materials like plywood and composition board (40% of the phenol produced), for the bisphenol A employed in making epoxy resins  and polycarbonate (30%), and for caprolactam , the starting material for nylon-6 (20%). Minor amounts are used for alkylphenols  and pharmaceuticals (10).
The acetone supply is strongly influenced by the production of phenol, and so the small difference between total demand and the acetone supplied by the cumene oxidation process is made up from other sources. The largest use for acetone is in solvents although increasing amounts are used to make bisphenol A [80-05-7] and methyl methacrylate [80-62-6]. a-Methylstyrene [98-83-9] is produced in controlled quantities from the cleavage of cumene hydroperoxide, or it can be made directly by the dehydrogenation of cumene. About 2% of the cumene produced in 1987 went to a-methylstyrene manufacture for use in poly(a-methylstyrene) and as an ingredient that imparts heat-resistant qualities to polystyrene plastics.
Cumene in minor amounts is used as a thinner for paints, enamels, and lacquers and to produce acetophenone, the chemical intermediate dicumylperoxide, and diisopropylbenzene. It is also a good solvent for fats and resins and, as such, has been suggested as a replacement for benzene in many of its industrial applications (22).

(10).Chem Systems Inc., Process Evaluation/Research 
 Planning, Report No. 85-10, 1986, p. 45.
(21).C. S. Hughes and Z. Sedaghat-Pour, in Ref. 1.
(1).Z. Sedaghat-Pour, Chemical Economics Handbook, Stanford
 Research Institute International, Menlo Park, Calif., Mar. 1989.
(22).Encyclopedia of Occupational Health and Safety, Vols.
 I and II, Geneva, Switzerland, 1983, p. 572.

Vitus_Verdegast

Aurelius
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2003, 04:40:00 PM »
I was merely referring to the synth of more common drugs.

Surely by this you mean methamphetamine, no?

2-phenylpropanal and P2P from Alpha-Methylstyrene

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/2-phenylpropanal.html

lugh

Hydratropaldehyde
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2003, 05:22:00 PM »
Also, cumene can bee used to make hydratropaldehyde,

Post 427944 (missing)

(lugh: "Hydratropaldehyde", Stimulants)
wasn't that long ago  ;)

Aurelius

Well, Hot-Damn!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »
You boys sure are good to us out here in hick-ville.   :P

I've definitely lost contact.  Perhaps I should do some reading up on Rhodium's site to stay a bit more current. 

In any case, I'm definitely glad I made my mistaken comment- I've since been enlightened.

SPISSHAK

A common source
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2003, 07:58:00 PM »
It's used as an octane booster if you look at those octane booster ingredients you'll see xylenes, toulenes, aromatics (C-9) AKA cumene, aromatics C-10 and so on.
I think If you carefully fractionate this you can get Cumene.
It's also used as an additive in aviation gas.
Doing some research into the industrial prepartion of alpha-methylstyrene I find the direct and most selective route is catalytic dehydrogenation, although I could'nt find much info on proceeses the only thing I know is the Chromium oxides supported on clay can be used and that it would require a lot of energy (tube furnace???)