Author Topic: A/B heating mineral spirits  (Read 2620 times)

Buckshot

A/B heating mineral spirits
« on: February 27, 2004, 12:35:00 PM »
Swibs been doing this for awhile, and honestly average 50% yeilds everytime. Swibs was just happy with that.
Its the rp/i/e long wet reflux, about 10 grams each time.

When swibs done an acid/base he always use hot Dh2O and NOT HEATED mineral spirits. Should swib heat the mineral spirits also, making both polar, and non-polar liquids heated?
Swib uses both freebase crystals and hcl form and doesnt know how heating both liquids would affect each type of pseudo?

Swibs asking because Swibs been reading here about heating Naptha for an A/B. But theres no mention of mineral spirits.

geezmeister

naptha
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 12:53:00 PM »
Naptha is many bees' choice of solvents for an a/b extraction of methamphetamine or of pseudo because it frankly is not a very good nonpolar solvent. It happens to be a good solvent for meth and pseudo HCl when hot.
All but one solvent I am familar with is a better solvent hot than cool or cold. The stated  preference for HOT naptha relates to the particular solvent characteristics of naptha, however. Cold xylene is as good a solvent for meth as hot naptha. It happens to be a good solvent of some other things that might still be present also.

You might consider the Ker Plunking thread to be something useful in particular when using naptha as an exttaction solvent. I have never consistently heated other solvents used to extract meth, or noticed the same degree of improvement in solvency in anything besides naptha.