Author Topic: Need KOH  (Read 3543 times)

evilscripter69

Need KOH
« on: July 28, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »
see post [No 522240]

evilscripter69

how do you get post numbers to link ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 03:22:00 PM »

NaXen

just put the post number in [] like
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »
just put the post number in
like [number]

ChemoSabe

Think Soap Making
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »
soap making, soap making, soap making

evilscripter69

soap making here
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »
seems to be only glycerine based, maybe swim needs to search harder??

Rhodium

Certainly, as glycerin is not a soap.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »
Soaps are commonly alkali salts of fatty acids, made by the basic hydrolysis of triglyceride esters (fats), and glycerin is formed as a byproduct in this reaction.

evilscripter69

Yes it is
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 07:43:00 AM »
but SWIM was referring to the only crap he has found here in arts and crafts stores, all of them have glycerine based stuff.
Well SWIM's going to fork over the 50$ for a 50lb sack of it from local chem supply.SWIM is a caretaker of a large pond with fish and wildlife in it and has to raise the PH of it on occasion, and of course the standard ph increaser found in every store here is only Sodium Carbonate, which will kill off the aquatic life in pond.

ChemoSabe

Aquatic Life & Handcrafted Soaps
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 08:56:00 AM »
evil scripter wrote... Well SWIM's going to fork over the 50$ for a 50lb sack of it from local chem supply.SWIM is a caretaker of a large pond with fish and wildlife in it and has to raise the PH of it on occasion, and of course the standard ph increaser found in every store here is only Sodium Carbonate, which will kill off the aquatic life in pond.

From all the dire warnings on the side of swim's soapmaking supply it's surprising that aquatic life would like any KOH in their water at all but maybe at very low levels.

50lbs should last you quite awhile though. For life I would imagine. I think Swim paid around $7.00 for 2 lbs of "potash" intended for use in handcrafted soaps.

ApprenticeCook

You told the chem company your putting KOH...
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »
You told the chem company your putting KOH into a pond for pH adjustment? a strong base.... must be a big pond or the water is located next to / in a puffing volcano or something...
and you bought 50lb (22.6Kg) of it??? right.....

ffs what are you using it all for???? you dont need that much.... as it was said, that will last you a lifetime... in most cases then some.

-AC

evilscripter69

ITS SMALLEST SIZE THEY CARRY
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 10:08:00 AM »
And yes its used in hydroponics as well as aquatics as a ph increaser, The potassium is benign  to wildlife compared to  the sodium compounds

ApprenticeCook

i stand corrected....
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »
i stand corrected....
but still, thats a shit load of KOH....

Use it for other shit i guess....  ::)

-AC

ozmosis

"Need KOH"
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »
Childeren, KOH/caustic potash msds please read, 

http://www.soapmaking-soapsupplies.com/potassium_hydroxide_msds.html

Swio likes to run a bit of clay through her fingers now and then and she knows that she can buy lge qnty's of soda-ash[sodium carbonate], and potash[koh??? not sure]for mixing her glazes.
So run along now to your local pottery supplies and get service with a smile, no q's asked.

evilscripter69

AP.. sure is an excess
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »