Author Topic: Need a recipe for an LWR  (Read 2614 times)

Northern

Need a recipe for an LWR
« on: April 02, 2004, 11:09:00 PM »

kris_1108

This should work :-)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 12:14:00 AM »
SHORTYs' procedure will work great for you.

Post 482658

(SHORTY: "This should work...", Stimulants)

Geezs' ratios are everywhere and will work finetoo.
Wareamis' ratios (

Post 497401

(wareami: "Will it ever sink in?", Stimulants)
) will also work.

These figres are slightly different but should still work O.K.

For every gram of pseudo/ephedrine, use - 1.2gms Iodine, 0.6gms red phosphorous, and 0.8ml of distilled water. Eg 5gms pseudo, 6gms iodine, 3gms red phos, and 4mls of water.

Add the pseudo, the RP, and the dh20. Then add the iodine in small potions at a time, waiting for the reaction to subside before the next addition.

An oil bath for the flask is a good idea.Turn the heat on, reflux for atleast 24hrs with the INTERNAL flask temp of around 100°c. Remember the oil temp will bee higher than the internal flask temp. To find the difference, have some water in your flask and wait untill it starts boiling (full boil). Measure the oil temp, it may be 110-125°c. So you want your oil at that specific temp for your rxn.

Dont forget to have a condenser attached to the top of the flask. A balloon on the end of the condenser will stop any HI gas and odours escaping.

When its finished, extract the meth with and acid/base extraction or a steam distillation. see -

Post 428410

(geezmeister: "The post-reaction workup: a cook's summary", Stimulants)

Relux

kris' ratio
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 12:50:00 AM »
Ahhh, a sigh of relief escapes me. Thank god I did not hear another snide UTFSE for somebody asking a perfectly decent and simple question, regardless of how many times it has been asked. Things change so often, and the norm is so often altered and improved upon that sometimes using the FSE can cause confusion and misconception.

That said, what I really came to ask is: The ratio you give is for match-book red phosphorus, correct? As the thread is from a newbee, leaving details like that can lead some astray.

Boy do I just love posts including references. I suppose this is going to the bookmarks...

uktrials

Tryin the LWR myself
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 05:42:00 AM »
Hi dude!

I am tryin the LWR myself having tried the short cook many uncessful times....just wont work....Let me know your findings if you have results before I post dude....

p.s. are we talkin u.k. 'northen'? ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

CharlieBigpotato

mbrp calculations;
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 06:23:00 AM »
swim's dreams didn't start to yield well until he started seeing his mbrp as only 50% rp, even though it was cleaned quite well. if it turns out to bee an excessive amount to go one to one with "E" and mbrp, well, nothing lost, as the excess can bee recaptured at the end.
if the mbrp is used, than even more might bee required.

here's a tip for avoiding pressure hassles:

mix the 4 ingrediants (cold ) and swirl them around real well in a rb flask ; allow them to homoginize...hand warmth should do it...and allow the first bit of gas to form...
this will bee mostly H2, and it will drive the air out of the flask.
cap the flask with a balloon of good quality as soon as the  ingrediants have melded.
now, the balloon will not inflate.
in fact, it isn't even needed, but that's another story.

the problem with capping off the container when its full of light gas (H2 or HI) is that when its all over, you have a negative pressure zone, and outside air pressure will try to pull the balloon into the flask with an amazing amount of force.
knowing this will occur when the rxn is cooled allows one to pop a pin hole in thwe balloon instead of having it sucked into the flask.
this technique will keep you 'lab' stink free...even after the balloon is removed. no escaped HI; no almost popping balloon. it will stay flacid the whole time, assuming no leaks, and that it was sealed during th3e initial evolution of lighter-than-air gasses.