Author Topic: A slew of n00ber questions...  (Read 2897 times)

Daphuk_up

A slew of n00ber questions...
« on: January 29, 2003, 02:17:00 PM »
Alrighty,

1.  NaBr, can it be reduced to elemental bromine in the same fashion as NaI is reduced to elemntal iodine?

2.  NaBr, has anyone had any success creating HBr by the addition of sulfuric acid?

3.  HBr, this can NOT be used to reduce ephedrine to methamphetamine, correct?  It will just form the hydrobromic salt w/ epehdrine freebase, and do nothing to the ephedrine hydrochloride salt, correct?

4.  Cyanuric acid, is a benzene-like ring with three substituted nitrogens and three hydroxyl groups.  Can someone suggest a chemical method for extraction and isolation of the nitrile groups?  Gaseous hydrocyanic acid is an acceptable product, although sodium cyanide salt would be ideal. (Note:  I dont intend to perform this synth for some time to come, but I would like to have the knowledge and the reagents when the time is right.)

5.  Well, #5 will be posted in stimulants.

Um, thats it for now, I may end up making this thread my 'plethora of stupid noob questions I should have UTFSE for'.  Although I did on sodium bromide, and got a suprisingly large number of hits (60+) and suprisingly little real information. :-(

hypo

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 02:53:00 PM »
> NaBr, can it be reduced to elemental bromine in the same fashion as
> NaI is reduced to elemntal iodine?

doh! oxidised not reduced! yes, it can.

> NaBr, has anyone had any success creating HBr by the addition of sulfuric acid?

yes. see "inorganic syntheses" or a myriad of other chem texts.

>  HBr, this can NOT be used to reduce ephedrine to methamphetamine, correct?

probably. otherwise chemists wouldn't use expensive HI

> Can someone suggest a chemical method for extraction and isolation of the nitrile groups?

what? probably not easy. aromatics are stable. but i don't know. there's other ways
to CN-, utfse.

apy

On an unrelated topic.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 07:20:00 PM »
On an unrelated topic.  If one amde HBr, and then did an agent lemon DXM extraction, could you then add the HBr to make DXM HBr, and thus make a stable DXM salt?  This is obviously not cost effective, just a chemistry note.

hCiLdOdUeDn

Yes....
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 08:04:00 PM »
Most any salts of DXM is stable. DXM hydrochloride is stable. Where are you going to get hydrobromic acid? Hydrochloric acid is the most OTC. It will work for extraction purposes also. I still dont understand why people use citric acid for extraction when muriatic acid is just as easy to get.

abolt

Can't one make Hydrobromic Acid via ...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 08:27:00 PM »
Can't one make Hydrobromic Acid via DMSO+NABR+H2SO4?

Polverone

Ooh! I'll take #4
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 02:12:00 AM »

4.  Cyanuric acid, is a benzene-like ring with three substituted nitrogens and three hydroxyl groups.  Can someone suggest a chemical method for extraction and isolation of the nitrile groups?  Gaseous hydrocyanic acid is an acceptable product, although sodium cyanide salt would be ideal.

If you had searched with some words like "cyanuric acid" and "sodium cyanide" you might have found this:

Post 378904

(Polverone: "I can top that", Chemicals & Equipment)

wolfx

HBr making.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 05:18:00 PM »
For one good recipe on HBr, see the Rhodium site, under XTC, "The Complete Book of XTC". On Ch. 3, misc. chemicals, look under HBr. I have tried that one myself and it worked, long time ago.