Author Topic: CuCl  (Read 1585 times)

Diggity

CuCl
« on: September 23, 2002, 11:06:00 PM »
Is it just me or is this shit hard to find? Hours upon hours of searching high and low. Mainly high though..

& I'm, somethin of a phenom, 1 puff of da cron, I'm un-stopable.   

hCiLdOdUeDn

Are you talking about Copper (I) chloride?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2002, 12:27:00 AM »
Are you talking about Copper (I) chloride? If so then yes, it is very hard to find. You can get 100grams from a chemical supply for around $100.  :o

To bee or not to bee, that IS the question.

Diggity

Yes, thats the stuff.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 04:38:00 AM »
Yes, thats the stuff. I need some for a little project im working on. I have decided to build a copper chloride laser.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Cockpit/2784/Private/Laser.htm

;D  It's not impossible..

Diggity

I'm finding Copper chloride as CuCl and other ...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 04:52:00 AM »
I'm finding Copper chloride as CuCl and other sites, Cuprous chloride as CuCl.. More often I read Copper chloride as CuCl.

PrimoPyro

100$/100g? WTF!?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 01:52:00 PM »
The first catalog I grabbed and looked up the price of cuprous chloride, CuCl, in had it listed in the 97% pure category for $13.50/100g that is NOT expensive!  ;D

97% should be just fine for 99% of uses for this compound. The most expensive purity, 99.9%+ pure, is still only $60.00/100g.

Look harder.  ;D

PrimoPyro

Will perform sexual favors for females in exchange for 1,2-dimethylaziridine. PM for details.

hermanroempp

Do-it-yourself CuCl
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2002, 08:28:00 PM »
40 g of CuCl2 are dissolved in 400 ml of 20% hydrochloric acid. 40 g of elemental copper (wire or shredded) are added and the solution is heated (on the water bath) until the previously  dark brown-green solution has become almost colorless.
The (filtrated) solution is poured into cold water (I'd propose DI ice-water, about 2l), the white, precipitated CuCl is filtered off and washed frequently with cold water. Product should be sucked dry on a buechner funnel and dried in an evacuated dessicator over silica gel for best results.

[Translated from:
K.A. Hofmann: "Lehrbuch der Anorganischen Chemie"; 5 th ed., 1924, Verlag Fr. Vieweg und Sohn; italics mine]

Quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem!

hCiLdOdUeDn

Primo....swim chemical supply source price is ...
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 10:55:00 PM »
Primo....swim chemical supply source price is listed that high! Lucky for you!

To bee or not to bee, that IS the question.

Kinetic

Look harder!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2002, 01:59:00 PM »
SWIK has seen 1kg CuCl for around £40 (about $60). I'd try somewhere else if I were you!