Author Topic: THC butane extraction: A theory  (Read 6478 times)

FriendlyFinger

Re: THC butane extraction: A theory
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2001, 10:27:00 AM »
Why not use Petroleum spirits. It can't be that hard to get, can it! Swim uses 40-60 grade. The oil that comes out is as gold as my fillings! Good enough as it is. And magnificent when cleaned with activated carbon.

Swim thought about using Butane, but swim wants to recycle all that solvent. Petroleum Spirits is great, but then swim has glassware.

I would like to see a nice way of pumping down that Butane and recycle it through a soxhlet. Then swim would use Butane.

regards,
FF

lugh

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2001, 11:54:00 AM »
It's just hard to believe that newbees refuse to learn to use the search engine, instead of posting such questions. A mere two months ago, you could find

Post 209032 (missing)

(lugh: "Solvents", Methods Discourse)

Post 209842 (missing)

(lugh: "Re: CO2 HASH OIL", Methods Discourse)

Post 209743 (missing)

&

Post 209684 (missing)

in this very forum, but of course that's too much work for baby bees  :(

IcAnMe

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2001, 04:07:00 AM »
i like the postes and thank u for them. I am interested on the co2 method. but how would u get to pump a 1000 psi with?
maybe a paintball gun and pull the trigger a couple hundred times? only one wrong thing those post r a year old. acetone leaves a film. ether havnt done. camping butane scented cant use that. only thing that is worth using is the lighter butane but it cost to much. i pay about 2 bucks a can and am able to buy in cases witch is 16 if i rember right. made the tube for the pressure have set screws to hold on only blown them once. Damn tube caught on fire dont do around a pilot light. well keep posting i want to be able to perfect it some time soon. i got the isopropyl today going to figure how to get the green out. i need partners to help work with me on this. leave a message to me if u have any info that might help. thanx

god i love this site

Buddman  Strikes again

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2001, 01:05:00 AM »
One dream I had was to extract via butane, but the device that it emptied into was they center of my dream.  It was emptied into a clear glass (beer) bottle.  Unfortunately, my tube had several holes on bottom (not recommend) so a funnel was used to get it in, but what got stuck to the funnel was recovered with isopropal alc. Reasons this is good:  The way that the bottle is naturally allows for a slight reflux condition without ice and stuff(probably better with ice;  The tube should be WELL attached to the funnel which should be well attached to the glass bottle.  This kept the reflux going forever.  Also, the product is in its final resting place at that point.  When you are done, just hold the bottle over a gas stove with your thumb blocking the opening.  When your thumb gets pushed out, stick a straw in there and suck.  This works amazingly well.  As a side note.  If you wanted to isomerize, the bottle might be able to handle reflux heat (i guess isopropal would be used as a dilutant, but i have not isomerized so I dont know).  Then I woke up.

IcAnMe

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2001, 05:42:00 AM »
IM really surprised u didnt blow your self up in your dream. I rember when swim whas doing it and he forgot about hte pilot light and blew the cap off breaking his tube. It bent the lock screws and allmost killed him when the cap flew accross the room like a bullet. It took swim 3 good huff and puffs to put out the fire. If u read my choppy post above it describes one of the better ways to do it. The pvc plastic is not the way to go. 1 it breaks after enough uses plastic gets thin and flakes apart. I recommend using a small in diameter metal tub about 10 inches long. You will need lock nuts unless u want to get hit in the head with the caps. Swim has let it sit full of butane in the bottom of his pool. Let it sit for a while you will get more pull. One 2 dollar can of lighter fluid can pull u about 5 grams . Around here it goes for anywere from $150-$300 a half gram.

P.S. pls keep this post alive

Buddman  Strikes again

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2001, 09:46:00 PM »
Its funny that you said u get some "green stuff" with your extract because I have never gotten anything other than the honey oil color.  PVC is not the best way to go IMO because of the fact that i may be getting a little bit of PVC with my oil(nothing noticeable, although my throat gets irritated more easily with this stuff?)  As my thinking goes,  Pressure is not what u are specifically after here. My guess isthat u pressurized to keep it as a liquid and help the effeciency of the extraction, but... The more pressure, the more crap that gets brought out with your oil.  Butane is not "perfectly" selective.  Yeah, u seem to be getting the best yields, but if u wanted stuff that u had to purify then just use acetone.  Maybe, surround your tube with another container holding dry ice.  All objects can be kept as a liquid by either pressure or temperature so this should allow all of the butane to leave your tube before it converts into a gas bringing all of the goodies that it can with it (maybe there is an ideal pressure that will bring the most oil with the least crap).  Also, in theory, if u connect your tube firmly to the collection device, then as the liquid in your collection device begins to boil off, it can only go back into the tube where it gets cooled off(definitely have to use ice or dry ice for this to be worth it) once more, reconverted into a liquid, and emptied into your collection container. I may be missing something, but it should work, right?

P.S.  Just trying to help not argue.

IcAnMe

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
To start it off i dont want to argue eather its a waste of time and effort. We will never meet unless u r wearing a badge and i hope  thats not the case with anyone here. OK now that I said that yes dry ice is a must or something cold. Yes a dish is needed to drop the liquid in i think a pyrex cooking dish works the best. Yes a heat pad is needed for the dish. I have done the pvc way and all i pull iss honey. Really bad yeild not worth it in my opnion. Now swims stuff is just as strong as the honey it just taste like shit. Swim did it right once and had shit tasting like pine one hit sent u to the floor which followed up with many hours of sleep. I dont know if pressure is what im after u cant use acetone bad film. You will not be able to smoke with out noticing the taste. Swim did that way first soaking it in acetone,alchole {grain and rubbing} and still just nasty black gew,yes very potent but swim is taking his triming and trying to get what he can out of them. Now with the better the trim the lighter the green is in the end. Why is that? With seeds and stems it turn allmost black a very dark green. Is this becasue there is more oil in the seeds? Swim is waiting on more trimmings intill he can try soaking the stuff in alchole. I read a long time ago to do this after you have the honey . Yes pvc cracks did u try it with a metal tube? Swim has not yet. Swim sticks to the pressure and is trying to perfect. Swim made blond hash once the only time he will ever do it. He said way to hard and takes to long. Who wants to beat something for hours with a beer bottle? Not swim or I thats for shure. Ok thanxs for the post and get back at me with more ideas

P.S. I just got done reading your post again 311 and a device to bring it back in is a very good idea I dont know how Swim would construct something of this idea. Pvc breaks down after enough use it will fall apart, like if u left it in the sun for a long time. R u  using a silk screen or panty hose on the end of a open tube? With a little work we can perfect this!! I can see it now Swim turining into a cash chucker . hehe i cant wait

Buddman  Strikes again

sasser

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2001, 03:39:00 AM »
it dose seem that leaving the butane to soak the cabbage would be the way to conserving butane and getting the most bang for your buck.
try cuting the valve from an empty butane can.
mill it down with a dremel to fit a 16 oz soda bottle.
cut a 3/8 hole in the center of the soda cap.
pop your homemade valve into the hole.
replace the blue gaskit also with a 3/8 hole.
put your cabbage into a clean dry 16 oz bottle cap it.
charge with butane as one would fill a lighter.
soak untill heart's content cover with 1" of butane.
chill the aparatus below 0 c.
slowly remove the cap cover with coffee filter rubber band ,remember pressure
pour the liquid into pyrex and process as normal.
remember to tap the filter when finished.
3 extractions are possible.
I love the hive !

PoohBear4Ever

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2001, 05:14:00 AM »
Recently tried naptha, and found its selectivity to be somewhat better than acetone, though similar to xylene/toluene.  Still, no match for butane...

PB