Author Topic: Water aspirator won't fit faucet  (Read 2364 times)

Jubrail

Water aspirator won't fit faucet
« on: November 24, 2003, 04:37:00 AM »
I was thinking of using liquid electrical tape to attach a water aspirator to a faucet it won't fit into for a vacuum apparatus.  Any1 got any ideas?  I'm renting so it would be great if I could make a temporary water-tight fit for my aspirator.

abolt

Plumbing supplies
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 04:50:00 AM »
I had this problem once and a visit to the local hardware store and a look in the "plumbing fittings" section sorted out my problem.

They have various threaded fittings and adaptors.

weaz1dls

McGyver
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 09:23:00 AM »
Swim agrees with the above suggestion.  If unable to find the proper conection, then at least find a washing machine conector to fit the faucet.  Then a short piece of braded hose that the aspirator has to be screwed in to fit in the hose.  The length of the hose should only be long enough to acomidate the male end of the faucet adaptor on one end and the other end to the base of the aspirator threads, with both meeting in the middle of the hose.  Two screw type hose clamps one over the threads and one over the male end of the faucet atachment.(on the hose of course).
Wish I had a secure way of posting pictures.  This place would be filled with them. :o

calcium

quick disconnect adapter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »
Any home improvement store should carry this handy item. Unscrew the faucet aerator and bring it to the store. Ask a clerk in the plumbing dept. to show you a quick disconnect faucet adapter. They are often used by apartment dwellers to connect portable washing machines.

The male half of the set will replace the original faucet aerator so it must be an exact match, and the female half snaps firmly onto it, being held in place by four steel balls that fit into a groove. It'll make sense when you see it.

Since they are intended for hooking a washer hose up to a sink, they have a garden hose thread on the bottom (in the USA anyway). You'll need to buy an adapter to change to pipe thread. Then you'll likely need an additional adapter to fit your aspirator.

Mine consists of the Q-D adapter, a female hose x 1/2 " MPT adapter and a 1/2" x 3/8" female coupling which my aspirator then screws into. This is the best way to make a reliable connection between faucet & aspirator which can be connected and disconnected in a snap.

Also good for condenser cooling hose connections.

halfkast

no threads on tap
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 05:44:00 AM »
abolt do they have a fitting for faucets with no thread? like its just got a bend at the end facing towards the drain hole somtimes.

wolfx

Interfacing to faucet
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 06:47:00 AM »
I had used two different ways to connect aspirators to the water source, usually a kitchen faucet. Both worked OK.

Right now, I have connected about four to five connectors to connect from garden hose size down to the aspirator thread size, I think that one is 3/8. But I had trouble finding everything that I needed, indeed I got everything OTC from hardware stores.

Probably easieast way is to remove aerator from faucet, screw in a garden hose adaptor, you can find it from waterbed filling kits, white plastic, it screws in the faucet. Now buy a copper ( maybe it is brass, I am not sure ) piece, it screws in the garden hose adapter one side, the other side has a male connector where you can push in a piece of garden hose plastic tube. Don't need to buy a garden hose for that, just buy a piece of plastic tube that fits in the metal piece and also in your aspirator, over the threads. Everything should be tight. Next buy small clamps and clamp the plastic tube to the aspirator and to the adaptor.

The garden hose adaptor thing can be found at any hardware store quite easily.

If a white plastic piece stays in the faucet when removing the aspirator, use a spoon ( like a screw driver ) to loosen it from the inside. Easy to remove, no damage done to the threads.

You need a SOLID, no water leaks, good connection to the faucet. ( Post has been slightly edited )

abolt

HK
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 02:55:00 AM »
abolt do they have a fitting for faucets with no thread? like its just got a bend at the end facing towards the drain hole somtimes.

I have never seen one without a threaded fitting.

I recommend you not to use house water fittings as it wastes too much water. Instead, go over to Rhodium's page and check out his "Aspirator Station" design. It is much easier to cool down and get a stronger vacuum and recycles the water. I have seen one put together for ~ $400 AU with brand new parts.

If you must go this way, go to the hardware store and get a "garden tap" (They are threaded for garden hose fittings), you should get change out of ten bucks, and replace the one already there.

P.S. Make sure you turn the outside water source Off and drain all the water out of the pipe before disconnecting your tap. DON'T BE A WALLY WITH WATER! ;)

gruns

Some very old school taps don't have threads,...
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 05:54:00 AM »
Some very old school taps don't have threads, I remember living in an apartment with taps just like that, a real pain in the ass. 

Time for you to get creative with vulcanized rubber tubing, hose clamps, and assorted adapt0rz.