Author Topic: Co(II) catalysed tosylation of alcohols  (Read 6399 times)

Vitus_Verdegast

Co(II) catalysed tosylation of alcohols
« on: March 03, 2004, 01:57:00 AM »
Cobalt(II) catalyzed tosylation of alcohols with p-toluenesulfonic acid

Subbarayan Velusamy, J. S. Kiran Kumar and T. Punniyamurthy*

Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati 781039, India Received 23 July 2003; revised 7 October 2003; accepted 17 October 2003

Tetrahedron Letters 45 (2004) 203–205
DOI:

10.1016/j.tetlet.2003.10.106

Full-text PDF:

Abstract

—Cobalt(II) chloride hexahydrate (CoCl2.6H2O) has been found to catalyze the tosylation of both aliphatic and aromatic alcohols with p-toluenesulfonic acid (p-TsOH) in high yields in 1,2-dichloroethane under re?ux (ca. 80 °C). In the case of aliphatic alcohols, secondary alcohols undergo tosylation chemoselectively in the presence of primary hydroxy groups.

Keywords: tosylation; alcohol; p-toluenesulfonic acid; catalyst; cobalt(II) chloride hexahydrate.

The tosylation of alcohols is a frequently used functional transformation in organic chemistry.1 Typically, the moisture sensitive and very reactive sulfonyl chloride or anhydride are usually employed as the tosylating agents in the presence of bases.2 Sulfonic acids are also used as tosylating agents but expensive alkylating agents such as trialkyl orthoformate, alkyl ethers or esters are needed instead of the alcohol.3 Recently, organic base adducts of sulfonyls such as 1-phenylsulfonyl benzotriazole and aryl sulfonyl methylimidazolium salts have been employed for sulfonate synthesis, however, significant amounts of by-products in the form of total dissolved salts are generated.4 More recently, Fe3+ montmorillonite clay has been reported to catalyze the tosylation of alcohols with p-TsOH.5 This method works well with aliphatic alcohols but aromatic alcohols give rearranged or polymeric products. Herein, we wish to report a simple and effcient method for the direct tosylation of both aliphatic and aromatic alcohols with 1 equiv of p-TsOH in the presence of CoCl2.6H2O in high yields (Scheme 1). This protocol also functions in the absence of additives and the removal of water is not warranted. In contrast to the Fe3+–montmorillonite catalyzed process,5 this methodology chemoselectively catalyzes the tosylation of aliphatic secondary alcohols in the presence of primary hydroxy groups in high yields.

In the presence of a catalytic amount of CoCl2.6H2O, the tosylation of 4-methoxylbenzyl alcohol was ?rst examined with p-TsOH (Table 1). Toluene, CH2Cl2,CH3CN, and ClCH2CH2Cl were employed as the solvents. As expected, the reaction took place and afforded 4-methoxybenzyl tosylate in good yields when the reaction mixtures were allowed to stir in the presence of 5 mol% CoCl2.6H2O. Among the solvents screened, ClCH2CH2Cl was found to be suitable for this protocol and the highest yield of 95% was obtained under re?ux (ca. 80 °C). The reactions in CH2Cl2, CH3CN, and toluene were less effective and afforded the tosylate in 41–78% yields. Control reactions without CoCl2.6H2O under the same reaction conditions showed no reaction.

The reactions of a series of other aromatic and aliphatic alcohols were next pursued with p-TsOH in ClCH2CH2Cl as above (Table 2, entries 1–10).6 Benzylic alcohols, benzyl-, 4-nitrobenzyl, and 1-phenylpropyl alcohol, were converted to the corresponding tosylates in 78–91% yields. Similarly, allylic alcohols, cinnamyl alcohol, and geraniol, underwent tosylation to afford the corresponding tosylates in 90–95% yields. In the case of the aliphatic alcohols, secondary alcohols were tosylated much faster compared to primary hydroxy groups. For example, 2-butanol, cyclohexanol, menthol, and cholesterol were transformed into the corresponding tosylates in 87–95% yields within 3.5 h, whereas decanol was less reactive and afforded decyl tosylate in only 26% yield after 10 h. When a mixture of cyclohexanol and n-hexanol was allowed to react with 0.5 equiv p-TsOH for 1 h, cyclohexanol underwent tosylation chemoselectively in 95% yield along with a trace of n-hexyl tosylate (Scheme 2). These studies clearly reveal that this methodology can be applied for the chemoselective direct tosylation of aliphatic secondary alcohols in the presence of primary hydroxy groups. Furthermore, when the tosylation of phenol and b-naphthol was examined, no reaction was observed and the starting materials were recovered intact.

In conclusion, the present methodology describes a simple procedure for the direct tosylation of alcohols with p-TsOH in the presence of the inexpensive CoCl2.6H2O in high yields. It functions in the absence of additives and generates water as the only by-product. In the case of aliphatic alcohols, secondary alcohols are transformed to the corresponding tosylates chemoselectively in the presence of the primary hydroxy groups.

Acknowledgements
This work was supported by the Department of Science and Technology (sanction no. SR/S1/OC-092002), New Delhi and by the Council of Scienti?c and Industrial Research (sanction no. 01(1804)/02/EMR-II), New Delhi.

References and Notes

1. Greene, T. W.; Wuts, P. G. M. Protective Groups in Organic Synthesis. 3rd ed. Wiley: New York, 1999.

2. (a) Kabalka, G. W.; Varma, M.; Varma, R. S.; Srivastava, P. C.; Knapp, F. F., Jr. J. Org. Chem. (1986) 51, 2386;
(b) Yoshida, Y.; Sakakura, Y.; Aso, N.; Okada, S.; Tanabe, Y. Tetrahedron (1999) 55, 2183;
(c) Hartung, J.; Hunig, S.; Kneuer, R.; Schwarz, M.; Wenner, H. Synthesis (1997) 1433.

3. Nitta, Y.; Arakawa, Y. Chem. Pharm. Bull. (1985) 33, 1380.

4. (a) O'Connell, J. F.; Rapoport, H. J. Org. Chem. (1992) 57, 4775;
(b) Katritzky, A. R.; Zhang, G.; Wu, J. Synth. Commun. (1994) 24, 205.

5. Choudary, B. M.; Chowdari, N. S.; Kantam, M. L. Tetrahedron (2000) 56, 7291.

6. Alcohol (3 mmol), p-TsOH (3 mmol) and CoCl2.6H2O (5 mol %) were dissolved in ClCH2CH2Cl (10 mL) and the solution was stirred under re?ux (ca. 80 °C) for the appropriate time (see Table 2). The reaction mixture was then allowed to cool to ambient temperature and diethyl ether (50 mL) was added. The catalyst was removed by filtration and the filtrate was washed successively with saturated NaHCO3 solution (3 x 10 mL), brine (2 x 10 mL), and water (1 x 10 mL). Drying (Na2SO4) and evaporation of the solvent on a rotary evaporator afforded a residue, which was passed through a short pad of silica gel using a mixture of ethyl acetate and hexane as eluent to afford the analytically pure tosylate.

psyloxy

Any ideas if lactic acid or its esters would...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 10:03:00 PM »
Any ideas if lactic acid or its esters would be cleanly tosylated this way ? With

Post 212002

(Rhodium: "Easy nitroethane in quantitative yield", Methods Discourse)
in mind tosylation of lactic acid / lactates becomes highly interesting. When 15g of the tosylate of ethyl lactate were heated to reflux in a solution of 15g NaBr in 50 ml EtOH for 12 h 9,4g ethyl a-bromopropionate were obtained (~93% yield if I did the math correctly).1 The same would surely work for the tosylate of lactic acid, otherwise ester hydrolysis of alkyl bromopropionate is documented.2

Does anybody want to jump on that thought-train ?

[1]J.Chem.Soc.; 1936; 303, 308.
[2]Tetrahedron Lett.; 31; 34; 1990; 4883-4886

--psyloxy--

psyloxy

sometimes a picture says more than 1000 words
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 12:47:00 AM »

--psyloxy--

ning

Why do you need to replace the tosyl group...
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 06:07:00 PM »
Why do you need to replace the tosyl group with a bromine, anyway? Why not just tosylate and use directly?

psyloxy

right !
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 07:01:00 PM »
I was thinking the same, since tosylate is a better leaving group than bromide, but wanted to have at least a bit of proven procedure in my musings. On the other hand the reaction with NaNO2 might work better with the bromo- acid for steric reasons (?).

--psyloxy--

java

Ref. Removal of Tosylates
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 11:42:00 PM »
psyloxy:  The reason for tosylating an OH for me would be to avoid the halogination since the tosylates reduce much easier than even Iodine. How are they removed in an environment of an amino alcohol with a Boc? Also in the text's they talk about LiAlH, NaBH4, in a dipolar aprotic solvent (see. March's 5th ed. pg. 526) as the method for reduction with some variations of solvents, hence the problem of an OTC method to reduce this Tosylates escapes me.  .........java

psyloxy

?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 12:51:00 AM »
I'm sorry, but, I think there's a misunderstanding. My interpretation of what you said is: R-OTs __> R-H

What I was talking about was: HOOC-R-OH __> HOOC-R-OTs (__> HOOC-R-Br) __> R-NO2 preferably where R=Et  ;D

Or did I completely fuck up the communication chain now by getting it all wrong ?

--psyloxy--

java

Ref: Tosylation
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 01:48:00 AM »
psyloxy..No, I'm bad, I was trying to interject a question about reduction of tosylates , while your quest is to apply the tosylation to your particular end. Your communication skills are fine my question broke the train of thought.......java

ning

Speaking of which....
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 03:50:00 AM »
Why not just make ethyl tosylate RE psyloxy's other post, and do a nice PTC alkylation with NaNO2?

It would surely save the trouble of decarboxylation, etc.

A little bird twittered that the ratio of nitroalkane to alkyl nitrite is improved by use of tosylates. Perhaps due to steric or electronic factors?