Author Topic: I am out of quarantine & I need help  (Read 4909 times)

john

I am out of quarantine & I need help
« on: October 11, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »
Let me introduce myself, my name is John.  My father is a Professional Chemical Engineer (retired).  I took electronics, which I guess makes me the black sheep in the family.  The reason I'm here is because I have an interest in extracting codeine from OTC medication.  I live in Canada where acetaminophen (or aspirin)/caffeine/codeine pills are OTC.  I have used 5-6 extraction techniques that I have found on the internet (including chloroform, sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate, etc) but I am not satisfied with the end product.  I don't know to what extent the microcrystalline cellulose is screwing things up (I read that this chemical was added to keep the codeine from going through a filter). I have used the fucking search engine but I find the material on this subject dated and I don't know if it takes into consideration the cellulose.  I know this isn't heavy chemistry to you guys, but if someone could help me out, either in this forum or in a PM I would really appreciate it.
Thanks, John

wellbie2002

I am out of quarantine & I need help
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »

yei

Don't know much about adulterants, but ...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 10:36:00 PM »
Don't know much about adulterants, but cellulose can be hydrolyzed into glucose by mild acidic hydrolysis. I doubt that would have trouble going through a filter.

If you ask your dad about industrial alcohol production, he'll  tell you about this reaction. It's how they do it. Cellulose is much cheaper than sugar.

Best avoid giving out too much info. Remember, this board is  for the witches of the world. Those who are found out, get burned at the stake. Remeber that old poster "Despair : The only purpose of your life may be to serve as an warning to others"....

I say, give the bung a nice acid hydrolysis (boil gently with 1% sulfuric acid solution until everything dissolves, then neutralize back to pH 7 with baking soda and follow the water extraction/recrystallization writeup.

starlight

not otc
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 03:53:00 AM »
not very otc but the goop can be vacuum filtered through glass fiber filter papers.

john

Thanks for your input
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »
I would still like to get some more ideas if I can.  I'm not up to boiling anything yet with acid in it (even 1%) but I can make a homemade vacuum device of some sort.  I made an electric stirrer in high school in the 70's and I still use it.  How much vacuum is required (and do still measure it in units of inches of mercury?).  I just recently made a seperatory funnel that works for what I use it for.  I know there's got to be someone out there who's perfected a fairly straightforward way of doing this.  The sodium carbonate costs an arm and a leg so I don't want to use that anymore, I tried sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) but it didn't raise the ph enough.
Anyhow I do appreciate your interest and I need your input (what I want to make is small amounts BTW for personal conditions that I have).
And one last question for the "insignificant" guy, was he referring to me, or himself??
Thanks again, John.

dumbjanitor

k.i.s.s.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 08:47:00 AM »
I found that extracting the dosage you want to take at the time the easiest. So if you want 100mg just dissolve the 13-15 pills (you will lose some of the codiene) in whole with *warm* water. I've ruined countless pills by using too hot of water. So just dissolve the 13-15 pills in a cup then I found it best to stick it in the freezer for like 2 minutes (take out right before it starts to freeze), then filter it using everyday coffee filters, then I just drink the filtered water. I too would like a more precise way of extraction but... its just codiene and alotta work. Don't think its not addictive because I found out the hard way, a couple days of hell.

john

Thanks, DJ
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »
I used to do it somewhat similar (at least drink the stuff like that in koolaid) but I had emergency surgery a month ago to repair a perforated ulcer (spent 8 days in the hospital) and I want to cut out the caffeine from the solution.  That's why I am going through the extra trouble with a "relatively" weak narcotic.  In a couple of weeks I will be half way to a century and I am starting to get the problems associated with that age group.  I virtually gave up drinking because of all the pills my Dr gives me (mirapex, clonazepam, hytrin, inderal, T3's, losec, etc,etc).  I'm just basically trying to find a medicine that I can take to mellow out at night and for sleeping. 
Anyhow, guys, thanks for your input and if you come up with anymore ideas let me know.  Another thing, I take 40mg of prozac every day and I know that stuff is supposed to seriously inhibit the workings of the codeine.  I can't stop taking the prozac so maybe someone can think of something else I should be looking at.  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks, John
P.S.- I'm not looking for someone to play Dr, just some one who can help me help myself.  I've come to the conclusion that Dr's don't know everything and a lot of what they do is "experiment" with the medications they prescribe.