Author Topic: turbo yeast fermentation  (Read 2482 times)

n00dle

turbo yeast fermentation
« on: June 07, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »
SWIM is about to perform the benzaldehyde to l-pac biosynthesis using turbo yeast. This yeast is balanced with nutrients so that it functions optimally, and only takes roughly 3 days or less to ferment a 21L batch of sugar/water to 20% alcohol. Because the process is so fast, the evolution of Co2 is too great for an airlock. Should SWIM ignore using an airlock?

Also, according to other posts the general ratio was 1.8kg dextrose to 10L water to about 28grams of yeast. Turbo yeast comes in packets of like, 200 grams (for even small 20l batches) because it's designed to cut out the replication time and start straight away on fermenting. So should I still wait a whole day before starting benzaldehyde poisoning or should I wait a proportional time (3 hours?)

Organikum

Thats nonsense. Turbo yeast is optimized for...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 06:04:00 AM »
Thats nonsense. Turbo yeast is optimized for high alcohol production, you will ferment your benzaldehyde to benzylalcohol and thats it.

BAKERS YEAST + nutrients + molasses + thiamine
period.

n00dle

Q's
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »
Ah, thanks for that organikum.
One do a new batch using standard yeast.
Few questions.. ( I have UTFSE and read most related pdfs' but SWIM can just not find these answers )

1.Has a definitive benzaldehyde concentration been found yet? SWIM would like to make a nice little ratio for scalingĀ  up, in the form of water : gms yeast : sugar: benzaldeyhde : (optional acetaldehyde)

2.Will distilling the ethanol out or boiling the broth down for ease of work ruin the l-pac? I think i read somewhere that high heat possibly destroys the l-pac or makes it racemize, but that might just be heat in basic conditions.

3.A lot of people are talking about introducing sterile air into the medium. Should this be done only when the yeast is first introduced to aid with multiplication, or is oxygen added periodically during the anerobic fermentation phase?

If anyone can help out with these, i'll stfu.