Author Topic: what did i do wrong w/amalgamation  (Read 5312 times)

dynamicduorr

what did i do wrong w/amalgamation
« on: October 20, 2002, 08:04:00 PM »
everything seemed as if it was going good for spiderman in his laboraotry during the amalgamation, bubbles from champagne size to furiuos bubbling and then he began dripping his ketone/nitro/methanol solution, the bubbling stopped and the mixture turned greenish grey.  after 2 hrs of stirring the mixture was a dark grey and still had a significant amount of uneffected alumminum. what did spiderman do wrong?

Protium

Be more specific
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2002, 08:15:00 PM »
No one can help you if you don't post your ratio's and give someone a vague clue as to your procedure.  I can tell you offhand that the green color is generally a good sign that you fucked up, but you knew that.

Pr(+)tium

GOD

did swiy smell MeAm? Was there ice-cold water ...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2002, 08:27:00 PM »
did swiy smell MeAm?  Was there ice-cold water flowin through the condensor?

Problem with the name? call me swig

dynamicduorr

i followed MM's, M&P's to a tee and i fail to see ...
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2002, 08:28:00 PM »
i followed MM's, M&P's to a tee and i fail to see the error of my ways. the help would be greatly appr.

GOD

Same question, different bee: You have to give ...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2002, 08:43:00 PM »
Same question, different bee:

You have to give details if'n you want help, we arent mind readers here.

What route did you take to ketone?
Did you clean it up first?
Did you do a bisulfite test (to make sure you had ketone)?
When you distilled the tone, what temp did it come over at?
What temp did the saf come over?
How did swiy (and for how long) store the tone before amination?
What was the source of the nitro? (was it straight, or did swiy separate it from a mix?  If so, how?
Did swiy use lab grade reactants?
Did swiy take any shortcuts?
Did swiy let it run full term?
Did he add heat?
What was the Al source?

Theres a million and one possible reasons why shit went wrong, no way of knowing unless swiy explains himself.
If your too lazy to give a description of what happened, why do you think anyones gonna put the effort into helping swiy out.

Problem with the name? call me swig

dynamicduorr

youre right
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2002, 09:05:00 PM »
from the beginning
i used benzo waker oxi to get the ketone
everything was cleaned and acetone rinsed
no bisulfate test. didnt know about it (novice)
distillation of tone was done under vacuum using an
     aspirator came over at 180 cel
i distilled all of saf without vac 232 cel
tone was stored for a day in the freezer
nitro was distilled from rc fuel 101 cel
lab grade benzo, pdcl2, hgcl2
no shortcuts very patient it has taken me weeks to
       get this far
reaction was allowed to stir after addition for 8hrs
no heat added
extra heavy duty reynold wrap used. groune w/coffee grinder

sorry about not gigving detail, its just that i am frustrated because i can see the light but i'm not there yet. thanX

Protium

Amalgamation failures
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2002, 11:14:00 PM »
99% of the time that you run the amalgam and it fails, the reason is that you didn't have ketone, or at least enough ketone to gain an observable quantity of amine in your extractions.  I've heard the Al/Hg described before as newbee-proof.  Get yourself some proper thermometer readings and learn to use a nomograph to estimate temperature and take proper fractions.  Measure the boiling point as you distill under vacuum and collect the fraction you have calculated to be in line with the boiling point of the ketone.  If you want an alternative to this, although I wouldn't reccomend it, a bisulfite verification would do. You don't just follow the procedure to a "T" and it fails, as if you had followed the procedure correctly it would not have.  There is no magic chem-fairy that determines the success of your reaction, you do, so you need to know precisely what you are doing and what you have done if you expect any answers.

The best advice I can give you is to make sure that you have quality reagents, properly distilled precursors, and try not to sniff the solvents too much, as that has ruined many-a-good reaction ;D

It's good to take notes along the way, that way you can go back and remember what you did wrong, or in some cases what you did right, or, you know, just what the hell it was you were doing before you passed out.

Pr(+)tium

terbium

Documentation.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2002, 11:27:00 PM »
It's good to take notes along the way, that way you can go back and remember what you did wrong, or in some cases what you did right, or, you know, just what the hell it was you were doing before you passed out.
And if you ever get raided the police and prosecutor will thank you for this too.

Baseline Does Not Exist.

lab_bitch

What color was your ketone? How viscous was it?
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2002, 11:52:00 PM »
What color was your ketone?
How viscous was it?
Was there any safrole pre-run?  If so, how much?

Do you have any idea what pressure your aspirator pulls?  Take the temperature of boiling safrole to determine the pressure.  Be warned, though, that vacuum tends to decrease with the volitility of the solution as well as the hotplate setting and oilbath temp; even the condenser water temp.  There is a chart on Rhodium's page that gives the boiling point of safrole at various pressures.  This will give you at least a range of vacuum you might be pulling in.

Did you observe the violent reflux that results while adding the reactants?  How long did it take you to add the reactants?

Did you smell methylamine?
How small did you grind your foil?
Over what b.p. range did you distill your nitromethane?
With what degree of precision did you weigh out the HgCl2?  How much did you add?
Where did your methanol come from?
How long did the amalgamation take?

Protium

Taking good notes
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2002, 12:17:00 AM »
And if you ever get raided the police and prosecutor will thank you for this too.

Well in the event that you get raided by the police, chances are you're fucked anyway.  I'm just talking about the kind of lab procedure they teach kids in schools, it really does help, and by taking good notes you can often optimize the reaction conditions without doing a shred of math. 

Plus I always write in shorthand, but I suppose you could also print a disclaimer at the top of your stationary that says:

Never use the following fictional information without having the theoretical background, the practical experience, the proper equipment, and a valid permission. Any person caught breaking the law is subject to prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. Any accidents or legal problems are not the responsibility of this author.

Pr(+)tium

wyndowlicker

SOOOO many questions.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2002, 12:22:00 AM »
Theres so many things that could have happened you should answer all questions above and maybee just maybee some bee can help. :P

You can tell the queen of diamonds,by the way that she shines.-GD

ketone

Bah
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2002, 12:49:00 AM »
If you live in the U.S., just having the chems and equipment is enough to be fucked royally....so who cares if you keep lab notes in shorthand, longhand, or on frickin' microfiche.

To the original poster: what makes you think you had ketone from the Wacker? That's where I'd concentrate my investigation first. Unfortunately, it can be hard to be sure you've got our favourite friend at first....but once you know what it's like, it's relatively easy to differentiate in future.

-ketone

dynamicduorr

the ketone was a greenish lemonade color.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2002, 11:15:00 AM »
the ketone was a greenish lemonade color. what is a safrole pre-run? the aspirator is connected to the sink. i dont know how much pressure it pulls. i'll check it tonight. yes i did smell meth. i used a shredder to shred the aluminum, then used a coffee grinder to grind it. i have to look at my notes to find the temperature for the nitro. i used an electronic scale for the hg. i distill my meth from the rc fuel. the amag.started after 1 minute. i left it stirring for 3 hours. there still was some aluminum pieces in there. the was one concern though, the hg did not dissolve completely.

Rhodium

what is a safrole pre-run?
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2002, 11:26:00 AM »
what is a safrole pre-run?

Waxker oxidation of safrole never goes to 100% completion, and your reaction mixture will always contain safrole and isosafrole in addition to MDP2P. As safrole/isosafrole boils at a lower temperature than MDP2P, it is usually referred to as a forerun (pre-run is incorrect terminology).

the was one concern though, the hg did not dissolve completely.

Then you should use more solvent or less HgCl2, alternatively stir the mixture for a longer time and/or at a higher temperature. Any HgCl2 which doesn't dissolve won't be a part of the reaction anyway.

dynamicduorr

first of all, i would like to thank anyone who ...
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2002, 11:36:00 AM »
first of all, i would like to thank anyone who offers advice or criticism. it all helps in the end. forerun was not done. will do that tonight. will any hg work? are there any that is not reccomended?

Rhodium

Any soluble Hg salt will work, the more soluble ...
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2002, 11:38:00 AM »
Any soluble Hg salt will work, the more soluble it is the better (faster amalgamation, less losses).

dynamicduorr

There is a chart on Rhodium's page that gives the ...
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2002, 12:21:00 PM »
There is a chart on Rhodium's page that gives the boiling point of safrole at various pressures. [orange]
where can i find this?

Rhodium

UTFSE
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2002, 01:33:00 PM »
Third link from the top, "Distillation of safrole". Did you even bother to check?

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/safrole.distillation.html

dynamicduorr

thank you for the reply.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2002, 02:39:00 PM »
thank you for the reply. yes, i did look, however what i found did not seem to be the one. there was something similiar on the link to wacker oxidation of safrole. i did not think that was it. it was after that, i posted my request.

lab_bitch

You must answer every one of my questions for me ...
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2002, 07:15:00 PM »
You must answer every one of my questions for me to be able to give you any help.