Author Topic: would this work? hcl/dcm  (Read 3115 times)

TheBlindGenius

would this work? hcl/dcm
« on: July 20, 2002, 07:56:00 AM »
if one were to gas regular, acs methylene chloride with hcl, without drying the gas with a drying tube, etc. could one then use anhydrous sodium sulfate to dry the resulting hcl in dcm solution? also, how could one know when the solution was saturated with gas.  is there a precise way to tell?  would ph work the same as an aqueous solution?

yellium

You can't gas DCM. HCl is too polar to dissolve ...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2002, 08:18:00 AM »
You can't gas DCM. HCl is too polar to dissolve in DCM.

You can gas ether and IPA.

cheeseboy

ya?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2002, 02:00:00 PM »
alcohols are gassable for shit like MeAM gas, but I thought toluene/xylene could hold HCl gas as well?

Bubba Fatt - LA's Biggest Bounty Hunter. His subjects are at large and so is HE!

terbium

Toluene doesn't hold much HCl
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2002, 05:45:00 PM »
but I thought toluene/xylene could hold HCl gas as well
I don't think that toluene will hold much if any HCl. I think that this is one reason people often obtain poor results when gassing a dilute solution of MDMA in toluene.

Antibody2

I think that this is one reason people often ...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2002, 06:53:00 PM »
I think that this is one reason people often obtain poor results  when gassing a dilute solution of MDMA in toluene. it may not dissolve alot of HCl, but the MDMA freebase will most certainly react with HCl in toluene in near quantitative yeilds.

endo1

SW seconds that. The best results he ever had ...
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2002, 08:15:00 PM »
SW seconds that. The best results he ever had crystalizing were from gassing toly.

goiterjoe

have you ever tried wet toluene?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2002, 02:21:00 AM »
Anhydrous xylene don't hold hardly any HCl, but wet xylene will hold a considerable amount of HCl.  The NP will turn a dark red upon gassing.  I imaging toluene will behave in a very similar manner. 

All paths are the same: they lead nowhere

hest

DCM
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2002, 03:23:00 AM »
And most HCl salt is soluble into DCM so the anser is no DCM is not a good gasing solvent.
use ether or alcohol (methyl/ethyl/isopropyl.. ect.)

TheBlindGenius

huh?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2002, 07:13:00 PM »
didn't str*** say dcm was the best solvent for gassing mda?  so what your saying must mean that hcl won't dissolve in dcm, but bubbling mda/dcm with hcl will work? hmm.... so would this work? take freebase dissolved in dcm and mix with appropriate amount of hcl sol'n (in other solvent that is miscible w/dcm)? .500 N HCl solutions are available from chem suppliers in IPA and MeOH, swim thinks.  ~18 g HCl/1000mL solvent.

Rhodium

Yes, he said so, but referring to MDA.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2002, 07:42:00 PM »
Yes, he said so, but referring to MDA.HCl, where it works satisfactorily. Not so with MDMA.

tiresias3

TheBlindGenius,
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2002, 08:50:00 AM »
Dissolve your freebase in three times its volume of acetone, adjust pH to 4 with muriatic acid and leave it in the freezer overnight.  I would cite the post from whence that information came, but I can't remember who said it, and BTW, Tiresias was the blind SEER, not the blind genius.  Being a genius doesn't hurt, though.

TheBlindGenius

about drying
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2002, 03:04:00 PM »
ok, so say swim takes anhydrous ipa or meoh and gasses them with HCl (no MD(M)A in there) without using a drying tube or drying setup.  could swim then dry the solution with anhydrous sodium sulfate or mag. sulfate? or would the salt react with the HCl or otherwise would this not be feasible?  if it worked, it would make the setup a bit simpler, no? no fractionating column filled with cacl2, no risk of pushing cacl2 into the solution, less joints to worry about, etc.