Author Topic: Is a benzaldehyde a benzaldehyde  (Read 2081 times)

halfkast

Is a benzaldehyde a benzaldehyde
« on: April 24, 2003, 07:28:00 AM »
I've been reading a lot of text about ephedrine and benxaldehyde, and I'm confused.

What is a benzaldehyde and what is a substituted benzaldehyde?

One is from Almond and apricot kernal oil, one is made synthetically with toluene and methylamine. Are they both identical? Well really...can they both bee interchanged?

Antibody2

benzaldehyde is an aromatic ring with an ...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 12:39:00 PM »
benzaldehyde is an aromatic ring with an adlehyde (CHO) functional group attatched.

a substituted benzaldehyde has variing additional functional groups attatched directly to the aromatic ring in addition to the aldehyde group.

the rest of what you say is confused, toluene and methylamine will not react to make benzaldehyde

toluene has an aromatic ring in it

methylamine is the amine source for diffrenet methamphetamines

Rhodium

halfkast

Antibody2, thanks you've helped me understand...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 10:46:00 PM »
Antibody2, thanks you've helped me understand a lot. I didn't REALLY know what the significance of the aromatic ring, functional groups and the aldehyde group was. Well I probably still don't know the full significance but I know where the ring comes from in drugs and will know more about what I'm reading.

Rhodium, thanks for the structure diagram and description.
(I think they made a mistake at the site in the chemical and physical properties, I think it's supposed to read insoluble instead of soluble in water. I checked other descriptions of it
Benzaldehyde
*SOLUBILITIES:
WATER : <0.1 mg/mL @ 19.5 C)

Okay so substituted benzaldehydes can't just be interchanged with other substituted or natural benzaldehyde in a reaction unless the functional group(s) is/are useful in the reaction. If I understand correctly what's been said.

Sorry about the confusion toluene can be oxidized to form benzoic acid and benzaldehyde, and methylamine has nothing to do with this.

OK Ill read on my own again for now. should bee fun. 8)

Rhodium

It is not insoluble, as you can see it is...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 10:24:00 AM »
It is not insoluble, as you can see it is slightly soluble in water, just not miscible in all proportions.

foxy2

OK Ill read on my own again for now.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »

OK Ill read on my own again for now. should bee fun.

Go to Methods dicourse, the sticky thread labled chemistry links.  Find my post in there of an Organic chemistry webbook that LabTop commented was the best.  Read that it will help you understand functional groups ect ect ect.

Sorry I'm to lazy to link to it, plus if I open methods I'll have to read all the new posts and I don't feel like it tonght.  8)

halfkast

Rhodium, Well it's not worth arguing about, is
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2003, 04:45:00 AM »
Rhodium,
Well it's not worth arguing about, is it? partially because your right. But I've heard some bee here say "considered insoluble", so I thought that if a substance was soluble below a certain point it was "considered insoluble".
But the site says further down it's insoluble.

But for the physical and chemical properties section they say that it's soluble to be technically correct, however it seems not technically correct enough to elaborate with an amount at a given temperature per ml.

So if that site is the only site in existance describing benzaldehyde, ya don't know if it is or isn't soluble.

Foxy2, I know how you feel I got up to page 18 of the posts last night, saved so much great reading. You should put time aside for it if your like me and it sounds like it.

'Organic chemistry webbook that LabTop commented was the best.  Read that it will help you understand functional groups ect ect ect'
Excellent! thats what I need to learn next, perfect. I was real happy last night when I saw this: "Preparation of Benzylamine"

I just thought I bet that is for adding on a benzyl group (derr), like what Antibody2 explained about methylamine. I BET Ill find more *amine.hcl somewhere, I wonder what they'll bee and do!  8)

Edit: Came back for fight.

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/OrgPage/orghompg.htm

^^Foxy2, bring that up if you come back...but regardless it tells all about functional groups and stuff, looks dynamite, thanks! 8)