Author Topic: Drying toluene & 35% HCL  (Read 3205 times)

newbie54

Drying toluene & 35% HCL
« on: February 14, 2003, 08:39:00 PM »
I know this is probably a dumb question but it's just been bouncing around my little head.  How feasible would it be to add 35% HCl to toluene and then remove the water with dried magnesium sulphate or calcium chloride.  Would it require such a large amount of drying agent as to be unfeasible.  To me it seems it would but it would be nice to have some other peoples opinions.  Thanx

terbium

HCl not soluble in toluene.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 10:58:00 PM »
How feasible would it be to add 35% HCl to toluene and then remove the water with dried magnesium sulphate or calcium chloride.
It wouldn't be feasible.

slick14

drying HCl
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »
can someone use a drying agent to dry the HCl? if so which would bee the best?

hermanroempp

You can't
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 02:16:00 PM »
dry 35% HCl as 100% pure HCl is a gas!!! For drying HCl gas simply use calcium chloride.. :)

slick14

swim a dumbass swim meant could you dry ...
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 02:35:00 PM »
swim a dumbass  swim meant could you dry muratic acid 31.5% swim does not use a gassing apparatus he is just getting started and that was not in the budget. he has been putting muratic acid into the toluene and cleaning the crystals with acetone but he does not know how much is lost due to water in the acid.

LiquidGaia

you would need to gas the HCL into the toluene
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 04:52:00 PM »
you would need to gas the HCL into the toluene solution, I do not think that you get 100% HCL.

Rhodium

HCl gas drying w/ H2SO4
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2003, 05:38:00 PM »
To dry HCl gas produced from dripping aqueous hydrochloric acid into concentrated sulfuric acid, an efficient way is to let it bubble through an inch or two of concentrated sulfuric acid in a gas washing bottle - no water makes it through there.

Don't forget to use a safety trap in case of suck-back!

hermanroempp

Quick fix...
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 01:40:00 PM »
could be the following:
If amine is exactly neutralized by HCl, assuming you titrated your toluene+amine mixture with aqueous HCl and no too large excess of unreacted HCl is present, you can simply distill off a mixture of toluene with the aqueous phase (azeotropic distillation). In fact you're performing some kind of steam distillation, water + excess HCl gets removed by the toluene. Your crystals of amine hydrochloride will not distil along with the water and remain in the distilling flask. When all water has been distilled over (it may be necessary to add more toluene to your mixture to get rid of all water) filter off crystals, let the toluene evaporate and voila - amine hydrochloride... :)

The_Fog

Is using rock salt......
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2003, 04:40:00 PM »
a complete waste of time? I'm just wondering because thats what I was taught to use to dry the gas. I'll be the first to admit that my beginner days were roughed in by some less than brilliant wanna-bees, but hell, it seemed like a good  idea at the time.(whats a good source for calcium chloride)? 

hCiLdOdUeDn

Rock salt (NaCl) will not "dry" gas.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2003, 05:01:00 PM »
Rock salt (NaCl) will not "dry" gas. You need something that is a dessicant (removes water from the air) such as CaCl2, NaOH, KOH, silica gel...

BTW.... who the taught you to dry gas with rock salt? He really needs a chemistry lesson. . . 

The_Fog

okay okay....
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2003, 06:08:00 PM »
Peace! turn those flamethrowers off!(ouch)I will utfse for the calcium chloride,Thanx madmax. The guy who taught me to use salt definitley never took nor ever will take a chemistry lesson (unless the course is offered in hell)and I never claimed to know ANY real chemistry (although I learn something here everyday. None of this slows me down from making excellent honey. In all my reading here that was the only thing that didnt jibe with my dreams.I cant wait to see what the difference will be, thanks bees for the lesson.