Author Topic: is it or is it not  (Read 2365 times)

BlackICE

is it or is it not
« on: July 11, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »

Scottydog

Not enough info
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 12:32:00 AM »
So you soaked in IPA first and THEN xylene?

So basically your pseudo dissolved in the IPA. Did you throw out this solution? What percentage was the IPA? If it wasnt anhydrous, chances are some of your pseudo is in the alcohol.

Do a search under aspirator in google. I have heard that water bed syphon kits can bee modified into a nice aspirator setup.

Swim has had bad experience with aspirators. If they are not completely airtight with your water faucet connection it can make for quite a mess. They work great for vacuum filtration. If vacuum distillation is the purpose, Swim would recommend a vacuum pump.

They are expensive as hell but have also heard that they can bee found in old refrigerators.

UTFSE and use the google search engine.  :)

A proper solvent wash sequence for ground up pills, can bee found in the-hive archives.

BlackICE

no no not that niaive
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 02:33:00 AM »
hey scottydog.... yes Isopropyl was soaked first ...no i didnt through the ISo out got it in a jar pill mass is in a 500ml beaker,maybe 10ml off the top would be clear and thats a bit of toulene i poored on top to see wat would happen but sat on top of pill mass ,, the pill mass is all Gluey ,cloudy white color most likely it has something like detergent or polermer ...is tha what happens when you boil...you think if i to do Extractomania by CHEMMAN might help ...

geezmeister

suggestion
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 05:30:00 AM »
Frankly, you already fucked up. Add 50 ml water to you alcohol and stir well; then follow Fester's approach with KOH in the Deconstructionist thought thread. I don't know that it will save you, but it will probably get some pseudo for you.

BlackICE

dont understand
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 07:10:00 AM »

geezmeister

hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 05:07:00 PM »
If you soaked in IPA then decanted, then boiled the pill mass in xylene, and now have xylene with glue in it, you have wasted the xylene.

Take the isopropyl alcohol, make sure it has about 10% water in it, then heat to almost boiling and add KOH a little at a time until you have added about ten grams of KOH for each hundred pills you started with. After you have dissolved the KOH in the alcohol, put a funnel in the top of the beaker... something to keep the alcohol from boiling off... you want to reflux the mix. If you have a condenser, do it in a flask with the condenser. If you don't use a beaker/funnel arrangement. Bring it to a boil for several minutes-- five or six minutes should suffice, then reduce the temp a little. You probably won't need to stir, but I would anyway on occasion.

After twenty to thirty minutes take it off the heat. Let it cool down a good deal. Decant the alcohol layer. Evaporate under a fan, no heat. Powder the mass that remains.

Extract with tolly or xylene, wash the solvent with Naoh solution a couple of times, wash with hot water a couple, then wash with cool water. Let the water settle out or dry the solvent, then gas. Or titrate, your choice.

The pills were 120's and whether this will work is anyone's guess right now. It would work had you done it on some white 60's... I know that it works well on those... but I don't know whether it will do a good job on the 120's.

I suspect you should do a good deal more reading on the subject of pseudo extraction from OTC pills before trying again.