Author Topic: dehalogenation of phenolic comps -pambaruka  (Read 1748 times)

dormouse

dehalogenation of phenolic comps -pambaruka
« on: April 22, 2000, 01:48:00 AM »

the Hive BB
  Novel Discourse
  dehalogenation of phenolic comps

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   dehalogenation of phenolic comps 
pambaruka
Junior Member   posted 10-02-98 09:00 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
can you use formic acid and palladium to reduce trichloro phenol (TCP) to phenol?

beagle boy
unregistered   posted 10-03-98 03:53 PM           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very seriously doubt it, but why do you care? Phenol itself is cheap as dirt. What is phenol good for anyway? Besides producing painful blisters and stinking like hell that is.

Osmium
Member   posted 10-05-98 04:51 AM          
Yes, there are some refs about this sort of dehalogenation, using Pd/C and ammonium formate (?). Don't remember them right now, but I might have a look if you tell me what this might be good for. As beagle said, phenol is not that hard to get to justify its synthesis.

drone 342
Member   posted 10-07-98 10:41 AM          
Some phenols are OTC -- hydroquinone, vanillin, etc. If memory serves, I think even phenol itself is available. I'm really curious now. What the hell would someone want phenol for?
-drone #342

Piglet
Member   posted 10-07-98 11:08 AM          
I have been the victim of a phenol spill. My arms were splashed and both forearms swelled up, went red and the skin flaked. My BP down and my pulse went waaayy up.
I spent 3 days in hospital. Be careful with phenol. It's fucking nasty stuff. Listen you now te me!
Piglet 

All times are CT (US)
 next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
    Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:General DiscussionAcquisition DiscourseChemistry DiscourseMethods DiscourseNovel DiscourseCrystal MethSerious Chemistry ForumThe Hive CouchSerious Tryptamine DiscourseAdmin Chill-out TentList of Archives:Couch ArchivesClassics!Law and OrderThe litter box.misc. PEAs  

Contact Us | the Hive